This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
↧
Lower Clapton
Barnabas Road
2-8 respectable mid-c19 paired villas
Old Homerton Station. Gaslamp & handrails.
Bishop Wood’s Almshouses. He was Bishop of Lichfield and chaplain to Charles I & II. Lived in Clapton. He came from Hackney. Founded1665 Wood, died 1692. The six almshouses are very modest, one-storeyed, onthree sides of a shallow courtyard. c19 Gothic chapel added at thecomer; the tall chimneys also date from this time. Restored 1888, and by H.R. Ross in 1930
Blurton Road
Primitive Methodist Chapel 1885. Really a breath of Wild Wales.
Brooksbys Walk
Marble sarcophagus, found 1867, white marble, inscription implied it was a woman in it but it was a large man Roman coffin now in Walthamstow museum
42-44 Chat’s Palace. Arts Centre. Was previously Homerton Library. Surprising. Designed by the distinguished Edwardian architect Edwin Cooper, This is small but monumental a sober stone-faced portico with Doric columns with pediment and tall plain attic. Two halls, their barrel vaults concealed by later ceilings
Chatsworth Road
A bustling late Victorian shopping artery
Church Road
Templars' House
Churchwell Path
Bottom end was Bobs Hall Field. Part of pilgrim route spring then via Clapton Road to Waltham Abbey.
Interesting railway bridge
Chelmer Road
Community College. Chelmer Road Board School. A large variety of lively skylines still tower above Hackney's streets of Victorian terraces and their c20 replacements. As elsewhere in London, the type developed from the 1870s, with E. R. Robson's picturesque asymmetrical buildings in the tradition of Philip Webb. Romantically grouped shaped gables and dormers; blind tracery above some of the windows.
Clapton
‘Clopton’ 1339, ‘Clapton 1593’, that is 'farmstead or estate on a hill', from Old English ‘clopp(a)’ and ‘tun’. Clapton is situated on high ground descending steeply to the River Lea on the east side. Lower Clapton is marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, Upper Clapton on that of 1877. Clapton Park is a residential district largely developed at the end of the 19th century.
Greyhound Stadium. This was the original home of Clapton football team, which became Leyton Orient. Became a dog track and then housing.
Greaves and Thomas from Hoxton furniture trade came in 1908 because of factory regulations
Clapton Park
Clapton Passage
Supposed to be a Roman by-way.
Corner Clapton road was the large house Priestly lived in 1791. Red brick wall is probably a remnant of it
Clapton Place
3 Thomas Livesey. One of his homes survives.
Part of extension of Brooksby Walk old footpath, path continues North to the Lea
Clapton Square
This was laid out piecemeal on Clapton Field in 1816 by which time there were Already some large houses further north and east which were demolished in the 19th for Cavendish and St. John’s Mansions. Ashpitel may have overseen the development Much of which was demolished in the 1950s. The focus of the smart suburban edge of the late c18 and early c19 ends with the older centre, which lay around the narrow end of Mare Street. The square looks towards the late c18 church in theleafy churchyard and consists of Tall, restrained houses which remain on the sides, mostly terraced, with a few linked pairs. It is now a conservation area..
Central grass remained with railings round it
Hackney New College
2-6 bombed and demolished and Church Court flats built.
6 Rothstein friends of Lenin lived.
7 early 19th terraced house partly in commercial use. Listed Grade II but at one time considered to be at risk.
20 Grander than the others, with stuccoed pilasters
13 still there. Home of Tyssen
Clarence Place
8 former coachhouse
1-7 grander terrace
Colenso Road
Daubney Road
Some of the earliest Hackney local authority housing.
Dunlace Road
Median Road site of Hackney College. Home of intellectual sedition in 1790s.
Elderfield Road
57 Priory Tavern, 1830s style pub
Glenarm Road
1a
Clapton Park Theatre 1875 short lived.
Glyn Road
Celestial Church Of Christ, formerly St Paul C. of E 1890-1 by Henry Cowell Boyes, architect to the Grocers' Company.
Glyn Road
Celestial Church of Christ. Was St.Paul 1890. Weatherboarded tower. Built by the architect of the Grocers Company.
Hackney New College
Hilsea Road
Millfields Primary School
Homerton
‘Humburton’ 1343, ‘Homberton’ 1355, ‘Hummerton’ 1581, ‘Hommerton’ 1822, that is 'farmstead or estate of a woman called Hunburh', from an Old English personal name and Old English ‘tim’.
Homerton was once a small hamlet of Hackney village, on the hills above the Lea Valley. Owned by the Knights Templar with St.John of Jerusalem who had a Mill on the Lea - on their badge was lamb & flag. First recorded in 1343 named for a farm owned by a woman called Hunburgh. By the 17thhome of lots of posh people including the governors of Jersey and Guernsey. Edward Lord Zouche has a physic garden here pre-1625. In the c 18 it had a few large houses, and developed a strong Nonconformist tradition.
Homerton College built c.1727 by Colon Campbell for a Nonconformist merchant,Stamp Brooksbank, became a Dissenters' Academy in 1786. It wasdemolished c. 1799.
Homerton High Street
A haphazard assortment of factories, councilflats and dingy hospital buildings, where only a very little survivesto tell of the Georgian past.
2-4 St.John’s 1531. T.Batt Master of the Ordnance. In charge of the Armada.
2-4 Sutton House. National Trust since 1938. Built in 1535 for Ralph Sadleir principal secretary of state to Henry VIII. Later became the home of Thomas Sutton, the founder of the Charterhouse and said to be the then wealthiest man in England. much restored, it contains good 16th-century panelling and stone fireplaces. Picturesque silhouette gave way to a Georgian parapet.
Adam and Eve Pub. A front of 1915;purple glazed tiles below cream terracotta with a large relief. . Site of a religious house of St.Mary Spital – a sign that it was the main way into the parish. Other Adam and Eve pubs at gateways to towns.
Berger Primary School. New schools on the foundation of church schools, funded when St.Barnabas was built. Could not afford to run them so sold to London School Board. Cash from sale built the Sunday school. Picturesque c19 ragstonegroup: 1855-6 byJ. Edmeston,
College Row flats. Between Priestly Street and College Row. On the site of Homerton College for Protestant Dissenters. Replaced previous mansion. Rebuilt 1823 by SamuelRobinson. It became a teacher training college, which moved toCambridge in 1893; the building survived, used as a school for thedeaf, until demolished after war damage in 1940. Now site of Bannister House
Eagle House opposite St.John’s. Contains a Dutch fireplace
Edward VIII Pillar Box with post office direction sign
Elim Pentecostal Church.
Hackney Brook formed an ornamental lake in the grounds, where Beaufoy lived, this is the vinegar co became a school
Hackney Grammar school of 1829. .
Homerton Library. 1968. Bold, with a well-proportioned two-storey brick-faced frame
Plough Inn 1898. With stucco decorated comer turret
St Barnabas Church. 1845 built on the site of stables. Organ from St.Mary Outwyche in the City. Central heating 1890s by Arthur Ashpitel. es. Furnishings include a large triptych, brought from St Andrew Bethnal Green.
St.John’s Institute 16thcentury T.Sutton. Vicarage - . In the vicar’s study are 12 panels from Thyssen Manor House/Mermaid Pub. . Church was paid for by Joshua Watson who lived
Sunday school, hall mission built with proceeds of sale of Berger Road Schools
Vicarage. by A. Ashpitel ofc.1850,
Wick house
Homerton Row
Baptist Chapel of 1822
Small educational centre
Separate day centre, by Archimed, 1996;
32 Welsh Harp
Kenmure Lane
Cold Bath Lane went down to the brook
Kingsmead Estate
LCC 1937 on 20 acres of Hackney Marshes
Laura Place
8-13 an early c19 group,
13, a good largefive-bay house with Ionic porch
Clapton School began as Clapton Secondary School for Girls. Attractive Free Classical stone-faced entrance with arched doorway and bowed oriel, 1914-16 by the entrance hall. To the rear, the galleried assembly now library with open timber roof. Plain steep-tiled roofed. c1920-5' two-storey extension of 1959-60 by J-M- Austin Smith & Partners, Behind are large G.L.C. extensions of c. 1979 technology centre in 1995 by Hackney Design Services.
Site of Hackney School 1630s. Girls’ school at first. Demolished for London Orphan Asylum
Lea Conservancy Road
Remains of Lesney Matchbox Toys factory
Linscott Road
Portico. Ruin of Salvation Army Congress Hall 1825, which was originally the London Orphan Asylum. Goldring and Inman architects. Hamelin’s mastic used as the facing material. Now just the portico is left. . The monumental tall Greek long flanking colonnade are all that survive from the asylum founded by the Rev. Andrew Reid in 1813, and built in 1823-5 by W.S. Inman. The Salvation Army took over the buildings in 1881 and roofed the inner courtyard to create a congress hall seating 4,700. Listed Grade II but at one time considered to be at risk. Much local building is in what was the grounds of the asylum.
Lower Clapton Road
Clapton School began as Clapton Secondary School for Girls. 1914 LCC. backdrop to the Linscott Road ruins
The Fountain, Edwardian ceiling about Pan
Portland Place
Round Chapel, a performing arts centre which was built as Clapton Park United Reformed Church, in1869-71 by Henry Fuller and James Cubit for the Congregationalists. The Old Gravel Pit congregation bought the site and a design for the building was chosen by the committee and Fuller was officially appointed as architect in 1869. The chapel was unusual in that it was roundish as well as large, impressive and extrovert reflecting a new mood of self-confidence and assertiveness in the British non-conformist world. it was also built of iron. It has a magnificent interior, festive and functional. roof and galleries supported on iron pillars which rise up to form a continuous iron arcade with spectacular lattice work effects above which the roof floats. The ceiling has a double cove to cut down reverberation. . It is one of the finest Nonconformist buildings in London and it set a pattern for innovations in such church building. The original pews were destroyed in 1990. Repaired and refurbished 1995-6 as a performing arts centre, by Casanove Architects.
Schools, now converted as a chapel. T1873, by Fuller partner James Cubitt, architect of the slightly later Union Chapel.
Mehetabel Road
15 Chesham Arms
Powerscroft Road
Sutton Place
Sutton Square
by CZWG for Kentish Homes, 1984, timber-framed houses arranged around a green.
↧