This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
↧
Wanstead
Blake Hall Road
Temple with ionic portico at the back from Wanstead House
Buckingham Road
One of a group of county related names
Cambridge Park
Eastern Avenue
George Green
Jubilee Fountain on the corner
Gloucester Road
One of a group of county related names
Grove Park
Pond. Remnant survival of Wanstead Grove.
Grosvenor Road
High Street
6-8 a pair of rural cottages at right angles to the street, brick and weather boarded.
27 Hadley House local
Snaresbrook Station . 22ndAugust 1856. Between Leytonstone and South Woodford on the Central Line. Built in 1856 by the Eastern Counties Railway on the Loughton Railway. The original station house of 1856 survives and the canopy spandrels on the up side platform have a remarkable resemblance to locomotive wheels. In 1893 the station was enlarged with a bay platform and partly rebuilt and some buildings from this period survive and another entrance added in 1903. In 1929 the name was changed to ‘Snaresbrook for Wanstead’. In 1947 it became part of the Central Line and was rebuilt with a new ticket hall on the west side. It was then renamed ‘Snaresbrook’. Some buildings and features of this period survive.
Goods yard and sidings. Closed and became a car park in 1947.
159 George. Grandiose corner pub, opposite Wanstead Station, has a marble porch, and partly frosted windows. There are a number of distinct drinking areas, one just by the main door even has a library. This pub is a celebration for all Georges - many famous Georges abound, not to forget St George. On the site an 18th inn, rebuilt 1904 by A.J. Bywater, as a plaque explains three copper turrets on corner bays. Tablet dated 1752, and portrait medallion of George III. Curly ironwork. Some engraved glass. It was the ‘George and Dragon’ from 1716 but rebuilt in 1962 – there is an inscription about a cherry pie
Church School, founded 1796, unassuming buildings now mostly of 1980, but with the teacher's house remaining, 1840-1 by Blore, with a bellcote.
War Memorial Tall plinth with bronze angel of Victory signed by N.A. Trent
Hollybush Hill
Drinking Fountain. At the junction with Wanstead High Street. 1872 with shingled spirelet for the 1897 Jubilee a triangular composition with three brick arches two water taps and a trough.
Leicester Road
Weavers Almshouses.Built 1857 by Joseph Jennings. Simple two-storey ranges with a centrepiece plus the weavers’ arms with their motto 'weave truth with trust', and reset plaques of 1824 and 1851. The buildings replaced foundations at Shoreditch of 1670 and Spitalfields 1729. They were threatened with demolition in the 1970s, and instead, interiors were remodelled by EG. Dobson and H.M. Grellier & Son. who added a parallel range behind, with a central community room.
Nightingale Lane
Nightingale
United Reformed Church. 1864-7, built for Congregationalist strongest 19th Free Church in Wanstead. It made use of stuff from St Luke, Kings Cross, a Gothic church demolished for St Pancras station
Grove Hall,1895-6 with open timber roof. Original school room of Cromwell Hall, rebuilt
Nutter Lane:
Applegarth 1710. Home of Nutter family
Rutland Road
One of a group of county related names
Snaresbrook
'Place by the brook in or near which traps were set’. Recorded thus in 1599 and on the OS map of 1805. From Middle English broke 'brook' with an uncertain first element, possibly a surname or Middle English snare 'a snare or trap for catching wild animals and birds'. The small stream here flowed into the River Roding; and there is still a piece of water at Snaresbrook known as Eagle Pond from the Eagle Inn which was earlier Snares pond on Rocque's map. On this same map the brook itself is marked as Sayesbrook, perhaps an alternative name and clearly to be associated with a tenement called Sayes 1383 and with the 19th-century field names Great & little Seds. All these would seem to derive from a different Middle English name Say recorded in nearby Essex parishes from the 13th century. It is an old part of Wanstead.
Spratt Green was then Christ Church Green bought by Local Board as a park in 1860
Library by D. Meyer and B. Ettridge of Redbridge Architect's Dept. Single storey. .
The Avenue
14 Temple House.Garden temple 1730-40. Elegant timber Ionic portico which originally looked over the canal. Possibly 1730s by the then owner, Matthew Wymondesold, who extended the gardens. His connections support an attribution to Colen Campbell.
20 remains of Wanstead House Gardens. tree house at the back and brick built Gazebo on a cruciform base from Wanstead Grove. may be the summerhouse referred to in a report pof 1713. Red brick with straight-headed sash windows. Interior with corner fireplace. It is built on a mound, and beneath, its brick vault was originally decorated with iron slag
Wanstead
'Place by a lump or hillock' . ‘Wcenstede’ c.1050, ‘Wenstede’ 1066, ‘Wenesteda' 1086. Possibly 'place by a tumour-shaped mound', from Old English 'wen’, alternatively place where wagons are kept' if the first element is rather Old English warn 'wagon'.
Wanstead High Street
Sheriden House next door holder
17th and eighteenth century houses, attesting to the prosperity of Wanstead, 1962 neglected and in decay
Manor House is now West Essex Conservative Club, early 18th. Twice-life-size bronze of Churchill in front, presented by French and Italian admirers and inscribed ‘giant of England'. It emerges incongruously from a stone plinth brought from old Waterloo Bridge. The house is 18thin general appearance, though upper parts were rebuilt.
Two 18th houses are adjacent with shops built out in front, but at the rear is an 18th doorcase with carved brackets.
Shire Hall 75, derelict 1952
Cuckfield Hotel no.31 Notable Edwardian skylight and windows with ‘Wenlock’ on them
Warwick Road
One of a group of county related names
Joseph Barratt junior school, 1946 called Warwick and secondary modern
Wellesley Road:
Telephone exchange 1902 National Telephone Co GPO 1912
Wellington Road:
Baptist Church iron church in 1894 1904 vestry etc.
Wanstead Lake House birthplace of poet Tom Hood 087, son of the more famous poet.
Woodbine Place
↧