This post is not finished, has not been checked or edited
↧
Ealing
BJ40 EALING
Chapel Road
West Ealing Baptist church
Chignell Place
5a Walter Rodney Bookshop
Drayton Green
Marked thus on Gary's map of 1786 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, named from ‘Drayton’ 1387, ‘Dreyton’ 1494, that is 'farmstead at or near a portage or slope for dragging down loads', or "farmstead where drays or sledges are used', from Old English ‘drag’ and ‘tun’, with the later addition of ‘grene’ - "village green'. The place lies on land enclosed by a large bend of the River Brent, so the name may refer to the dragging of loads by sledge to and from the river bank or from one bank to another. A reminder of the former hamlet. An unexciting recreation ground. Green bought by the council in the early 1900s.
Drayton Manor School on the site of Park House.
Drayton Bridge Road
Built in 1897 and housing along it from 1905.
Drayton Green Road
Drayton Court Hotel heavy handed High Victorian, white brick with two turrets
Ealing Common
Open space of 40 acres. It was 70 acres in the middle ages. Some fine new blocksof flats have been built on the north side
LT Depot
The Old Hat
Halfway House
West Ealing Station. 1stMarch 1883. Between Hanwell and also Drayton Green and Ealing Broadway on Great Western Railway. Opened as "Castle Hill and Ealing Dene. In 1885 it was no longer served by the Met. On the Greenford loop, and in 1903, used by Royal Agricultural show, then from 1904 freight and passenger specials. Used a rural operating method.
Forum Cinema - distinctive
All Saints Church on the site of Elm Grove. Where PM Spencer Percival lived from 1809 until he was assassinated. In 1870 his family sold it to the East India Company. Rothschild gave the site for the church and its was dedicated to Spencer Percival’s memory by his youngest daughter. Built in 1905.
Ealing Dean
Felix Road
Ealing Hygienic Laundry. Started about 1915, this laund ry continued until about 1982. Gunnersbury Park Museum was contacted by the redevelopers of the site and allowed to make a survey of the laundry's layout and equipment. As a result the Museum now has account books and business records of the laundry for the last 20 years of its life, photographs of the interior taken in 1985, recordings of interviews of ex-members of staff, and two machines with line-shafting, a collar starcher (made by F. Townend &. Co., Acton) and a collar press (J. J. Lane & Co., London E.).
Hammersmith Road
103-105 Any Amount of Books
Mattock Lane
Health centre
St John's church
86
North Common Road
St Matthews Church.Built as part of developments 1880s
Fordhook Farm survived into the 1900s.
Park House Estate
Covered the land west of Argyle Road and owned by Sir Archibald Macdonald, judge and Attorney General. Benjamin Sharpe bought it in 1848 but by the 1880s derelict and demolished.
St.James Avenue
St.James
St.Kilda Road
St.Stephen's Avenue
Uxbridge Road
201 Baskett's Bookshop
↧