This post is not finished and has not been checked or edited
ABBEY ROAD
The Plumes Hotel. The Edwardian Plumes Hotel was built to serve the Royal Agricultural Society's ground at Park Royal. There was flying here from 1910-1923. Today it is a factory estate, but the hotel is a historic aviation site as it was Grahame-White's base for his first attempt on the London - Manchester prize. GEORGE IV AND CONVERTED TO HOUSINGPlumes Hotel built for the Royal Agricultural Show. Flying here from 1910-13. Site of Graham Whites base London/Manchester prize. Edwardian Hotel Today it is a factory estate,
Alliance Road
Alliance Aeroplane Co.
Coronation Road
Lanz Tractor
Cumberland Avenue:
Aberdonia Cars
F.W. Berwick
Brown, Hughes & Strachan
Sizaire Berwick
National Motor Horse Box
Guinness Park Royal depot
Designed by Giles Gilbert Scott and Alexander Gibb and built from 1936. In the 1970s extra stout and draught Guinness were brewed there. There was an original GWR railway connection through the goods yard to Cumberland Gate. A vast acreage with a herd of dairy cattle!!
Service Industries
Hangar Hill
Area popular with Japanese families.
Church of the Ascension. RC ‘fine church’.
West Acton Fox Wood. Nature reserve.
Johnson's Road
Cohen’s warehouse in disused car factory in 1926, by 1954 500 machine tools on display with reconditioning workshops
Eburite corrugated containers originated in manufacture of shell cases in First World War and by 1932 selling fibreboard containers to canners and ham makers
Railway Line
The Metropolitan Line built in 1903 crosses what was then the new Great Western line to High Wycombe.
Royal Agricultural Society
Permanent show ground until First World War and then given over to the Ministry of Munitions Built by Allnut a caterer from Reading industrial estate. The site was bought in 1901 and had been a dairy farm called Goddards at Lower Place.
The Ridings
1 1934 an individual commission: the client was inspired by the architect’s earlier estate in Hendon. It is a flagship for progressive modern design: f
7 11a 15 19 in the same image as 1
37 plaque to Alan Dower Blumlein. 1903-1942. It says 'electronics engineer and inventor, lived here'. Blumlein, born in London, lived here during the Thirties. He was an inventor who died a hero's death. During WW2 he invented an extension of Radar, which meant that RAF Bomber Command could, by use of a radar map, pinpoint enemy targets. Whilst testing his project in battle conditions, his Halifax bomber was shot down when returning from a raid over Germany. Plaque erected 1977.
Western Avenue
Vandervell Productions, plain bearings, thrust washers, bushings for cars and lorries, in 1964 more than half the vehicles produced in the UK
Park Royal Hotel makes a show with twisted brick columns. It was intended also as a social centre for the estate. 1936 by Welch & Lander.
Hangar Court Flats by the same firm as the hotel, 1935, an angular composition of brick in a slightly awkward hybrid style: flat projecting eaves, corner windows, and roof pergola
Park Royal West Halt, footpath to it which was over the join of the GWR and Piccadilly Line 1932-1947
Hooper’s coach works factory next to station
Park Royal station. Opened for Royal Agricultural Show ground. Opened on 23rd June 1903 on the Metropolitan Line, newly electrified. Trains ran in 1903 from Acton Town, and from South Harrow five days later. Originally called ‘Park Royal and Twyford Abbey ’. ‘Twyford’ name changed to ‘Park Royal’ because of the show. It was originally a corrugated iron shack, then in open country slightly to the north of the present site.It was closed and resited on 6th July 1931. It was opened intermittently 1903-1937 and opened by the Prince of Wales
Park Royal Station. 6th July 1931. Between Sudbury Town and North Ealing on the Piccadilly Line. Opened as a temporary timber station called ‘Park Royal’. In 1936 it was rebuilt and the name changed to ‘Park Royal (Hangar Hill)’. It was the focus for one of the few 1930s suburban centres, which sought to escape from a garden city image. the station building was designed by Welch & Lander in an Art Deco/Streamline Moderne style on a series of simple interconnecting geometric shapes. Plain red brick masses are accompanied by strong horizontal and vertical glazed elements. There is a large circular ticket hall with high level windows and stairs to the platforms the tall square tower next to the ticket hall which has an Underground roundel and dominates Western Avenue.
Commercial way
Whitby Avenue
Mickleover Transport