This post is not finished has not been checked or edited
Aberdare Gardens.
Called after late Victorian, H.Bruce, who was Home Secretary 1868-1873. He was known as Baron Aberdare.
12 Intimate, densely planted 40ft x 100ft garden
Blackburn Road.
1869. Named after Mr. Blackburn, the builder.
Canfield Gardens
Cotleigh Road
Library 1902 by the Borough Surveyor Charles H. Lowe; .
Kilburn
Kilburn was the name of the stream, which ran across the area.
Kilburn High Road
The Kilburn ran between Hermit Place, Punch Tavern, and site of the Decca Records office. It supplied water to a moat here until 1536. Flooring and bit of bones were dug up in 1850
The Westbourne joined the road at Hermit Place on the site of Kilburn Priory. It also joined the Kilbourne.
Lymington Road
Low-rise housing for Camden by Sheppard Robson & Partners, 1980,
Messina Avenue
Kingsgate School. London School Board 1903.by T.J. Bailey details typical of Bailey's late work
Midland and North London and Met
Railway sidings.
Pandora Road
21 plaque to Alfred Harmsworth, Viscount Northcliffe 1865-1922. 'journalist and newspaper proprietor, lived here'. Harmsworth was born in County Dublin and educated locally. He became a journalist for a local paper before coming to London. He lived here, from 1888, for three years.
Sherriff Road
St.James 1885-8 by A. W. Blomfield. Springfield Lane
Because of the Westbourne
Spring Walk
Because of the Westbourne
West Hampstead
The development of the northern part of West Hampstead dates entirely from the late c19 divided from Hampstead proper by the creation of Finchley Road; a land of minor late Victorian terraces and mansion flats. Few of the patches ofcouncilhousing and private flats that have arrived since are of much merit, although they have broken the monotony and given the older survivals some rarity value.
West End Lane.
It was a pleasant country drive for Queen Victoria. . in 1879 was still a semi-rural place. Indeed, so lonely and quiet was it that people were afraid to walk along West End Lane at night because of the dense hedges and overhanging trees. Yet, within a few years, the entire area would be covered by rows of tall terraced houses, with hardly an open space anywhere
West Hampstead Station Metropolitan 30th June 1879. Between Kilburn and Finchley Road on the Jubilee Line. Metropolitan District Railway St Johns Wood line was opened to from Swiss Cottage here in 1879 by Watkin as part of his vision for extending the Met. . Ran to West Hampstead from Baker Street from June and to Willesden Green from November The line was doubled from Baker Street and then went in a special separate tunnel. Great Central trains were not allowed to stop here and there was no platform. The lines still go straight through. The line opened from St.John's Wood in 1879. The station was opened for the Metropolitan Extension Line on 30th June 1879. . 1939 became Bakerloo Line. 1979 became Jubilee Line.
West Hampstead Station Silverlink 1888 Between Finchley Road and Frognal and Brondesbury on Silverlink North London Line was West End Lane station on the line from Hampstead to Willesden
West End tower. 1740 onwards suppressed.
West Hampstead Thameslink Station. 1871 Between Kentish Town and Cricklewood on the Thameslink Line. Midland Railway opened as ‘West End’. 1904 renamed ‘West End and Brondesbury’. 1905 renamed ‘West Hampstead’. 1945 on the LMS railway. Prototype of its sort with wall panels clipped to prefabricated sections. By L. Martin and R. Llewelyn-Davies under W.H. Hamlyn of the LMS Railway, as a prototype for prefabricated stations. The first of its kind. Wall panels clipped to a framework on a 3-ft 4-in. module. Cantilevered platform roof.
West Hampstead power signal box. 1977. An early example of a new type by. S. Wyatt, British Rail Regional Architect. Very large; red brick and steel cladding.
King's Gardens mansion flats of 1897;
Fire Station. admirable example by the LCC's Fire Brigade Branch., 1901, by W.A. Scott, one of the first fire stations to adopt a domestic vernacular style:
Firemen's cottages behind.
Woodchurch Road
1878 attractive assortment of detached houses
Sidney Boyd Court 1953 Hampstead Borough showpiece.
Olive Waite House old people’s flats.