This post is not finished has not been checked or edited
Alpha Close
Lisson Green estate. Site of Marylebone goods yard. An ambitious post-war undertaking by the Borough of St Marylebone and completed in 1975 by London Borough of Westminster,
Narylebone goods depot. Great Central Railway goods depot bombed in 2nd World War. 1901 Site of Hydraulic Pumping Station
Alpha Road
Went through Church Street and into the park low, slung houses in no particular order built after 1800.
Alsop Place?
William Allsop farm on the site of Baker Street Station.
Metropolitan Railway’s offices. Have buffers and couplings sprouting from the walls! Note also the 'electric spark' symbol and Metropolitan Railway trespass notice.
Ashbridge Street
1834 yard Great Exeter Street 1939 Ashbridge was the Borough Surveyor and collected local history material galleried workers dwellings.
Baker Street
Line of the Tyburn. Called after developer Edmund Baker of Boston who worked with Mr.Portman in developing his estate. Baker Street Westminster. Recorded thus in 1794, after William Baker laid out the street in the second half of the 18th century on land leased from the Portman estate. Busy street running north to Regent's Park and south to Portman Square. It was laid out about 1790, but the surviving houses of this time have been disguised by their conversion into shops. Leads from Portman Square to Regent's Park with several fine modern buildings.
120 William Pitt lived in 1803-4, his niece, the eccentric Lady Hester Stanhope, keeping house for him.
26 Sherlock Holmes part of the Abbey National - Volunteer aimed from the Loyal Volunteers
27 plaque to Mrs.Siddons, RSA replaced by London County Council
31 Edward Bulwer Lytton, London County Council plaque school of dancing
46 Bendix acquired this premises in 1947 and it was from here that the campaign to introduce the launderette to Britain was directed. Three locations were chosen: Queensway as classic bed sitter land; Raynes Park, typical outer suburban London and a shopping location near the centre of Lincoln. The Bendix machine was being manufactured under licence in Britain by Fisher and Ludlow and purchase tax was charged on domestic luxuries like as washing machines. The washing machines for the launderettes were essentially the same as the standard domestic model.
54-60 HQ of Bass Charrington in 1970s. Owns lot of vintners. 1967 merger of Charrington, Bass and Mitchell and Butlers. Lots of mergers behind it
58-59 cabinet makers since 1822
83Norgeby House. Central Office Of Information, a government department formed in 1946. Previously special operations executive, in the 2nd World War.
Michael House. A fine building a block of shops and offices at the corner of Dorset Street, Erected in 1913, it was for many years the headquarters of the Imperial War Graves Commission. It was extended, and became the head offices of Messrs. Marks & Spencer, Ltd.
92-124 Abbey National HQ. A Prominent building next to Berkeley Court. The central section is adorned with a clock tower 150 feet high, which ‘lends majesty to the long vista of buildings in Baker Street’. It was formally opened on 18th March 1932, by the late Mr. Ramsay MacDonald, then Prime Minister. People used to write to Sherlock Holmes there. The company symbol appears in Portland stone on the facade. Abbey National moved out 2002.
120 plaque to Home of William Pitt, the younger and Hester Stanhope. Plaque says 'Prime Minister lived here 1803 to 1804' . Plaque erected 1949.
226 Sarah Siddons' house, demolished for the lost property office
239 done up as 221a Sherlock Holmes, which doesn’t exist or rather didn’t exist. Opened in 1990 and looks like a film set.
Chiltern Court. Built by Metropolitan railway 1927-9 above Baker Street Stations. Huge block of flats at the junction with Marylebone Road. Arnold Bennett, the novelist, died in 27th March 1931 at 97. Wells lived at 47. Mansion flats -the grandest. Tall, stone-faced block over Baker Station station by C. W.Dark, planned as a hotel in 1913 in conjunction with the station, but completed as suites and restaurant only in 1929. It also contains an arcade connecting Baker Street with Marylebone Road, and a branch of the Midland Bank at the corner of Baker Street.
Baker Street station. 10th January 1863. Between Finchley Road and Great Portland Street on the Metropolitan Line. Between St.John’s Wood and Bond Street on the Jubilee Line. Between Marylebone and Regent’s Park on the Bakerloo Line. Between Edgware Road and Great Portland Street on the Circle Line and on the Hammersmith and City Line. In 1840 interests from the City Corporation looked at the possibility of an underground railway which would ‘transverse or circle the metropolitan area’. In the mid-1850s the Metropolitan Railway became a reality and was built along the line of the ‘New Road’ to run between Paddington and Farringdon. Intended to be underground. 10' wide platforms. Baker Street was one of the first stations on the line and claims to be the first station opened on the underground railway. In 1864 the Metropolitan connected a junction to the St John's Wood Railway here and trains then ran through to Swiss Cottage. It was intended they should go through to Finchley Road but that didn’t happen. 1874 junction of East John's Wood line and Inner Circle. In 1868 the Metropolitan and St.John's Wood Railway opened and by In 1879 line to there doubled and ran in a separate tunnel to West Hampstead. In 1880 there were connections to Harrow on the Hill as well as to the south west London and to the East via the East London line. Came to be called, by Watkin, 'your great terminus'. In 1906 the Bakerloo opened to Waterloo in a separate but adjacent station and was intended to be their terminus. It was thus also the oldest 'tube' in London. The two stations were linked by a footbridge within a year. The current Metropolitan line layout and the bulk of the surface buildings, designed by the architect Charles Clark, date from 1925. The Bakerloo section had originally been designed by Leslie Green and was on the east side of Baker Street north of the Lost Property Office. The ticket office was at basement level. It was extensively rebuilt in the 1930s when a branch line was added and escalators were installed. It was eventually demolished in the 1950s. The Jubilee Line, then called the Fleet Line, was built in 1970 for which a new station tunnel and platform were needed. It runs Parallel to the northbound Bakerloo line so they interchange at the same level for both northbound services. The Southbound trains use separate platforms so the Jubilee Line trains use the Stanmore Branch platform. It is an interesting station in that it provides a junction between the tube and the underground; it has functioned as a terminus in the past and in many ways has served as a main line railway station. There is a Plaque about Michael Robbins in the station on the over bridge. There are drawings of Sherlock Holmes, the world's best-known fictional detective with deer stalker and pipe, of course – on wall tiles around the inside of the station. Train staff mess room. HQ of the Metropolitan Line. There was a Metropolitan electric substation taking power from Neasden in 1905. Five lines run through the station and there are ten platforms. Only one other station on the underground has so many - and that's Moorgate. The station is now also a starting point of the Metropolitan trains to Buckinghamshire and the Chilterns. The only remains of the Leslie Green Station consist of some portals in a passageway and some metal grilles. Features in films 'Ring of Spies’.
Statue of Sherlock Holmes erected in 1999
Berkeley Court, completed in 1929, covers the island site bounded by Marylebone Road, Glentworth Street, Melcombe Street, and Baker Street. This o is nine storeys high and has a roof garden covering an area of an acre. It also has an arcade of shops leading from Baker Street to Melcombe Street, and on the ground floor, in Marylebone Road, is a branch of Lloyds Bank.
Classic Cinema, erected in 1935, which has a distinctive façade of stone.
Balcombe Street
The best pre-Victorian survivals in progress in the 1820s and still complete, although with added top floors, etc. Tall terraces, with centres and ends projecting
65 Wagner
Blandford Square
9 Schreiner
16 Lewes
38 Collins
Bell Street
Centre for second hand book dealers.
Broadley Street
Westminster City Council's low-rise housing of the 1970s.
Broadley Terrace
27 Michael Hopkins Office. expanded with a second building in 1993 using the architects’ own Patera system. Glass reception area 1995 and it is all linked by a covered walkway.
St Paul's church
Red Bus House 1887 by G. Hubbard, built as Bryanston Working Men's Club;
Portman Gate. A change of mood with the first upmarket private flats to invade the area, replacing working-class flats of 1887. 1986 by Phippen Randall Parkes,
Artisans and General Labourers Dwellings 1881. Since replaced by Portman Gate.
Canal
Widens and moorings for boats on right hand side next to Marylebone railway.
Freight yards to tranship between canal and rail. Lisson Grove estate was built by Westminster Council on the site. The canal was originally intended to pass through the Regents Park, but the route was changed when it became apparent that industrial barges would lower the tone of the exclusive residential development.
House straddling the canal is called 'upside down house' because inhabitants have to go downstairs to bed
Terrace for Lisson Grove Institute
Metal bridge over the canal from Lisson Grove housing estate Tow path plaque Thames Bank Iron Co. once had branch line from Great Central Railway line and contours of curved track can be seen round the wall White building behind the wall belonged to IBM.
Bridge over canal: line into Marylebone, used to be Great Central railway from London to Manchester, etc., now commuters to Aylesbury
Second bridge, Metropolitan line to Watford
Third bridge on old maps is called ‘Chapel Bridge’ carries Park Road, which borders the western side of Regent's Park
Steps to Park Road from the canal. Canal planned to go through the Park but because it goes north, it is in a cutting Digamma Cottage. Ugo Foscolo. Italian revolutionary lived
Chagford Street
Formerly New Street Mews, where the first Bentley was created in 1909
Dorset Chambers
39 Chagford House is an exception here: built c. 1850 as model lodgings.
Church Street
Created in the 1790s as part of the development of Lisson Green going west to the parish church at Paddington Green.
Portman Market. Hay market opened in 1830 adding vegetables and other things soon after. Named after Sir William Portman who owned the manor in the 16th. Site sold in 1900 and became a vehicle maintenance department. Closed in 1906 but traders then set up stalls in the street. Developed as part of the Church Street estate post Second World War.
13 Leigh Hunt
13 Alfie's Antique's Market, on the site of Jordan’s department store. Home to 100 antique dealers.
Clarence Terrace
The smallest of them all. It was built in 1823 with a central portico flanked by colonnade screens and a little more ornamentation in the carved capitals of the columns now flats behind a replica facade because of subsidence. Clarence Terrace. This was the work of Decimus Burton and is altogether an elaborate and magnificent design. The building is intact modern, for as with Park Crescent the terrace has been completely rebuilt, with a replica of the original facade disguising the modern flats behind
2 home of novelist Elizabeth Bowen. MacNeice
Cornwall Terrace
bow window running from the ground to the first floor and adorned with caryatides. There is a nice story told about this window. The terrace was planned to extend further northwards, but Mrs. Siddons, the actress, who lived in York Place (now Baker Street) behind the Park, complained to George IV that the prospect from her drawing-room window would be spoiled, so the end of the terrace was altered and adorned. Designed by Decimus Burton when very young (1821),
British Academy
Cresford Street?
43 Marylebone antiques market.
Dorset Square
Laid out c.1820 after Thomas Lord moved his first cricket ground to its new site named from the Duke of Dorset, a keen patron of the game in its early years. Unspoiled terraces of the early 19th century. The best pre-Victorian survivals in progress in the 1820s and still complete, although with added top floors, etc.
Original site of Lords 1787-1810
1 plaque was unveiled in 1957 to commemorate the deeds of the men and women of the Free French Forces and their British comrades who left from this house on special missions to enemy-occupied France'.
28 22? George Grossmith, Snr
Glentworth Street
Thoroughfare constructed in 1929 to connect Clarence Gate Gardens with Marylebone Road. Before that date a long row of private houses covered the entire site fronting Marylebone Road on which two great buildings have been erected
St.Cyprian.
Clarence Gate Gardens
Hanover Gate
Flats great blocks at Hanover Gate, which front both Prince Albert Road and the former burial ground of St. John's Church, were erected in 1903.
3 Dickens
7 Pinter
13 Noyes
13a Dickinson
17 Collins
Hanover Terrace
By Nash.Grave, restrained and classical, its pediments adorned with rather isolated statues.
10 home of Ralph Vaughan Williams 1872-1958. 'Composer lived here from 1953 until his death'
13 home of H.G. Wells and where he died – a tetchy old man with a blaring radio. Previously the home of poet Alfred Noyes.
17 home of novelist Wilkie Collins – inspiration for the Woman in White was a young woman met one moonlight night in the park who later became his girlfriend. Later the home of Edward Gosse, author of Father and Son.
Harwood Avenue
St. Edward's Convent
Huntsworth Mews
Ivor Place
The best pre-Victorian survivals in progress in the 1820s and still complete, although with added top floors, etc. Tall terraces, with centres and ends projecting
Glentworth Street
68 Eliot
98 Eliot
Gloucester Place
The best pre-Victorian survivals in progress in the 1820s and still complete, although with added top floors, etc. Tall terraces, with centres and ends projecting. Line of the Tyburn. Tube underneath. Built about 1810 and preserving some of its old lamp-brackets.
34 Monkhouse
62 was 18 Mary Anne Clarke
48 John Godley
57 Dickens rented this in 1857 while working on Our Mutual Friend
65 plaque to William Wilkie Collins which says 'novelist, lived here'. Born in London,
99 plaque to Elizabeth Barrett Browning 1806-1861. The plaque says 'poet, lived here' . the family lived here when they first came to London. Plaque erected 1924.
Ivor Court
Rossmore Court flats
117 plaque to Gerald Kelly, which says 'Portrait Painter lived here'. Gerald Festus
Kent Terrace
10, plaque to Ernest Howard Shepard which says ‘painter and Illustrator lived here.' it was as the illustrator of A. A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" and Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows" that he made his name.. Plaque erected 1993.
Linthorpe Street
The best pre-Victorian survivals in progress in the 1820s and still complete, although with added top floors, etc. Tall terraces, with centres and ends projecting. Some modish 1970s town houses a one side
Lisson Grove
‘Lisson Grove’ is first on record in the late 18th century and preserves the name of the ancient manor of ‘Lilestone’ 1086 in the Domesday Book. Lisson, 'Lille's estate or farm'. Was called Nightingale Lane and was a lane into the old village from Kilburn, which began to expand after the building of the New Road in the 18th. The posher bit of the village was south of this with stuccoed houses from the late 18th while the northern part of Lisson Grove became slummy and full of bad characters and many Irish immigrants.. Cosmopolitan street.
Manor House flats block, imaginative, free style, 1903
Pilasters to its centre
31-35 Lisson Grove. This is an unexpected building to find in Marylebone:
35 Lisson Grove dining rooms became the Sea Shell fish shop. Now relocated
116 plaque to ‘Benjamin Haydon 'painter, and John Charles Felix Rossi sculptor lived here'. Haydon, lived here in part of the house that Charles Rossi the sculptor had built. Plaque erected 1959.
Sea Shell fish bar corner of Shorton Street
Lisson /Bell Street galleries. This is actually two merged galleries. The first, in Lisson Street, is a conversion completed a few years ago by Fretton; the second has taken an empty site around the corner, in Bell Street.
Lisson Grove offices and flats. This small development is a conversion of three plots in a late Georgian terrace in Lisson Grove. It includes the comer junction with Bell Street where the architect has taken the opportunity offered by conversion work to provide a modernist reinterpretation.
White lead manufactory towards the north.
Marylebone
‘Maryburne’ in 1453,’ Marybourne’ 1492, ‘Marybon’ 1542, ‘Marylebone’ 1626, that is - place by - St Mary's stream', from Old English ‘burno’ and with reference to the dedication of the church built in the 15th century. It is to be noted that the medial ‘Ie’ is intrusive and dates only from the 17th century. It was probably introduced on the analogy of other names like St Mary-le-Bow where it has a loose connective sense. This ‘ie’ is usually sounded now in current pronunciations of the name, 'Marylebon' or 'Marlibon'. The earlier name of the settlement which was houses along the road to Primrose Hill was ‘Tiburne’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Teyborne’ 1312, ‘Tyborne’ 1490, so called from the original name of the stream here, the Tyburn, first recorded as ‘Teoburnan’ - 'the boundary stream' from Old English ‘teo‘ and ‘burna’. In an Anglo-Saxon charter of 959 it formed the boundary between the manors of Ebury and Westminster.
Area was Marylebone Park and forest Henry VIII's hunt. Leased to Duke of Portland in 1791. Commission into its neglect in 1796. 1810 Portland lease expired and Nash and Leverton asked to prepare development plans
Willan's Farm
Marylebone Park Farm, 153 acres. South of it was Gravell Pit Field with gravel extraction. Western boundary was Hill Field and beyond it Sedge or Flatt Field.
Footpath to Barrow Hill and Tyburn as a field boundary
Melcombe Street
Melcombe is a Portman family owned property near Taunton.
Abbey Building Society, clock tower 150', opened 18th March 1932 by Ramsey McDonald when Prime Minister Michael House, corner Dorset Street, 1913, HQ Imperial War Graves Commission now Marks and Spencer
Classic Cinema 1935, North Bank
9 Collins
21 George Elliot living with G.H. Lewes
Mulready Street
Outer Circle
The road goes uphill a little past Grove House, passes the old boundary of Hill Field beyond which lay Sedge Field and Sparrowhawk Wood.
Park Road
Leading from Baker Street to St. John's Wood Station, has recently been much widened, and the west side is now mostly lined with handsome blocks of flats.
125 'Washing machine on the park' west side and co-ownership. flats for a housing association, cheaply built but with an pit and service core surrounded by flexibly planned rooms. By Fan & Grimshaw, 1968-70.
145 Strathmore Bookshop Ltd.
23 Jose de San Martin
35 Rudolf Steiner House. By Montague Wheeler, 1926, 1932, and an extension of 1937, Bookshop. Expressionist architecture.
44-76 newcomers in the centre of a tattered row of terrace houses bounding reconstituted in 1977-8? By Westwood, Piet, Poole & Son by a mixture of repair and rebuilding.
72 Business Bookshop
Abbey Lodge. Close to Hanover Gate, is a new block of flats six storeys high, faced with red brick, with stone dressings and erected in 1933. Replaced the villa whose name it bears. The villa was home from 1851 till 1903 of Baron and Baroness de Bunseiuld – he was a German nobleman, and she the daughter of the banker, Samuel Gumey, who in 1840 visited Germany with his sister, Elizabeth Fry, on a tour of the prisons there, taking his daughter with him. An acquaintance was made which eventually developed into a romance and the young couple were given Abbey Lodge, which adjoined Samuel Gurney's house at 20 Hanover Terrace, as a wedding present
Ivor Court on the north-west corner of Upper Gloucester Place, erected in 1934.
Regent's Court Prominent amongst these flats
Rossmore Court, a ten-storey building at the corner of Rossmore Road. erected in 1934
Shops long row of mean-looking houses, with shops on the ground floor, extending from the top of Baker Street to the junction of Upper Gloucester Place. .
Winsor Castle and Kent Passage bowed and battlemented. Neatly punctuates the end
Park Terrace
Plympton Street
Prince Albert Road
St.Mark’s church. 1851, ragstone reordered galleries by Blomfield. Tall wide bleak nave. Blomfield chancel. Grand reredos, monuments
Grove House also known as Nuffield Lodge by 1823. Burton house by the canal as it enters the Park. Built in 1823 for George Bellas Greenhough, a natural scientist, and the first president of the Geological Society. . George Greenough who approached James Burton with a view to taking a lease on a villa in the park. Burton and Nash were too busy to undertake a new project but suggested that Burton's son, Decimus, should be the architect. Decimus Burton had served six years, mainly in his father's office, and this was to be his first important commission. The site chosen was three acres in the strip of land isolated from the park by the Regent's Canal, and here he built Grove House in 1822—24. It can be seen on the left of the towing path in the well-kept grounds just inside the Park. It was leased by the Midland Bank Ltd. for the use of its Chairman and in 1953 it became the Headquarters of the Nuffield Foundation, and its name was changed to Nuffield Lodge. The gardens are under the management of the botanical research department of University College. The Nuffield Foundation has vacated the property
Gardens managed by London University Botanical Research Dept. George Greennough wanted one and Decimus Burton, James Burton's son, built it - his first commission
Regents Park
Nash accepted and Regent liked it so it was called 'Regent's Park'. Managed by HM Office of Works. Designed Nash 1810-1828. Nash and Burton built the villas
Tyburn flowing through the park and becomes the artificial ponds for a bit. Joined by a Tributary from the zoo, near site of Wellin's Farm
Bandstand. This was the scene of the IRA bomb attack in 1982 in which seven Royal Green Jackets bandsmen were killed.
Winding lake 22 acres 1867 skating accident so depth reduced 40 drowned under the American ambassadors house, problems of building the lake.
South Villa became Bedford College part of London University. Now a privately owned American liberal arts college. Bedford College, which was founded in 1849 by Elizabeth Jesser Reid who lived at 21 York Terrace. The college outgrew its premises in Bedford Square and acquired in 1908, a lease of South Villa, which, with the exception of one entrance lodge, was demolished and the present academic buildings put up. But South Villa stood on the site of something still older - the main farmhouse of what had been Marylebone Farm. The house might have been built first for Sir William Clarke who, during the Civil War, was first Cromwell's and then General Monck's secretary but who, along with his second master at the Restoration, became the king's man and was mortally wounded at the Battle of Harwich against the Dutch in 1666. He had a house in the Park which was left empty on his death and may very well have been taken over by the leading farmer in the neighbourhood. At the beginning of the eighteenth century it was owned by a farmer called George Daggett, who was always quarrelling with his neighbours, stopping up rights of way, shooting night-soil where it had no business to be, falling behind with his rent, and generally making a nuisance of himself. He was succeeded by William Francis whose widow, Jane, went bankrupt during the great cattle plague of 1745 so that her creditors could only be paid 2s 4d in the pound on what she owed. The farm eventually passed to the Willans, father and son, who added the surrounding fields to it until it became the largest farm in Middlesex.
Longbridge.
The Holme. Became student accommodation. 4-acre garden filled with interesting and unusual plants.
The first villa to be erected in the Park. It was built for Nash's supporter, James Burton, a builder who was responsible for the financing and building of much of Regent Street and many of the terraces and villas. The architect was his son, Decimus, who designed it when only eighteen years of age
Winfield House the private residence of the American Ambassador to London.built by Barbara Hutton and offered to the US Ambassador so owned by the US Government. Palatial modern mansion built for her as the former Countess Haugwitz von Reventlow, of which the private grounds were exceeded in size only by those of Buckingham Palace. Site of Hertford Villa built by Decimus Burton in 1825 for the Marquess of Hertford who in 1830, purchased the clock with the striking figures of Gog and Magog from St Dunstan's church in Fleet Street and installed it in the garden, naming the villa after it - changed name to St Dunstan's House. He became the ‘Caliph of Regent's Park’. Then owned by Aldenham merchant banker, then Otto Hahn banker. From 1916 to 1921, it housed a training centre for those blinded during the war and in its turn gave the name to that noble association. Then, in 1934, Lord Rothermere occupied the villa and gave the old clock back to St Dunstan's church where it can be seen today in good working order. The villa was demolished in 1937 and the present house built.
Chilianwalla memorial
Hanover Lodge. At the end of Lodge Road. 1820s. Later part of Bedford College. Plaque to Thomas Cochrane and Earl Beatty which say ‘Thomas Cochrane, Earl of Dundonald (1775-1860) 'and later David, Earl Beatty, OM (1871-1936), admirals, lived here'
Block of students' one-room flats which overlook the canal
Loudon protest against tasteless planting of separate trees
Hanover Gate 1903 and Old ?? Of St.John's Church. Three flats
London Islamic Centre in North Villa; became Islamic Cultural Centre and now Mosque 1977. Burnished copper dome
1740s eastern section was White House Farm, byres and eight fields, and Coneyburrow Farm. Lodge Field in the area. Salt Petre Field and Dupper Field with a gravel pit
Salisbury Street
Flats characteristic earlier type of balcony-access flats for the St Marylebone Housing Association by E.W. Barnfield.
Portman Day Nursery 1937 by Howard Robertson, socially progressive for the time roof-top playground, laundry, and canteen
65 built as a furniture factory. 1938 by Wallis, Gilbert & Partners and colourful neo-art-deco revamping dates form 1985 by Terry Farrell & Co., when it was converted for light industrial and office units.
St. John’s Wood High Street
Church
Lords Station. 13thApril 1868. Built by the Metropolitan Railway. On the south side of St.John’s Wood Road at the junction with Park Road opened as St.John’s Wood Road. In 1925 it was rebuilt and renamed St.John’s Wood. In 1939 it was renamed Lords and then closed
St.Marylebone Western School
2 Maugham
Sussex Place
By Nash, 1822. with little cupolas and a large garden between it and the road. It enjoys the best view across the lake in the whole Park and looks as if Nash were using up design left over from the Pavilion at Brighton.
25 home of Cyril Connolly, critic
Taunton Place
10 Collins
Wellington Road
municipal and pavement-side planting. impressive foliage planting outside the station entrance, and there are some well planted gardens around blocks of flats on the left and the balconies of Wellington Hospital on the right,
St. John's Wood Chapel site with burial ground. An amalgam of formal municipal planting, children's playground and wildlife garden, all in 6 acres of still-consecrated ground where ancient graves are half hidden among the cow parsley and ragged robin. The main wildlife area has a thistle meadow to encourage goldfinches, Managed by Vestry of St.Marylebone
War memorial at the Roundabout - depicting St George and the Dragon, to the memory of those from St Marylebone who died in the two World Wars.
Wyndham Place
This is the culmination of adjacent Bryanston Square on the right and designed to complete the vista to the north, however, trees have grown to maturity and interrupt the view.
St.Mary’s Church