This post has not been finished and is not edited or checked
Bath Road
St Michael and St Martin
92 Heart of Hounslow Centre for Health. Pioneering large health centre. Brilliantly coloured glass. Penoyre and Pasad 2007
Bell Road
Methodist Church
Hanworth Road
A few earlier c19 houses near the United Reformed Church, and remains of a mid c19 suburb around St Stephen's church.
Hounslow
In Domesday Book Hounrham - Old English Personal name. Means ‘Hunds Hill’- ‘hounds mound’ but not known if the hound was a dog or a man. 'Hund's mound’ or ‘lulus', the mound being possibly the place of burial of the named man. ‘Honeslaw’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Hundeslawe’ 1217, ‘Hundeslowe’ 1275, ‘Houndeslowe’ 1341. . This was the meeting place of the Domesday hundred of Isleworth the old hundreds were often named from some conspicuous feature, such as a burial mound, at the site of the assembly.
Between Hounslow and Staines was the forest of Staines. An important coach stop on the Bath Road with lots of pubs. In 1833 over 200 coaches a day stopped here.
Williams, dyestuffs, colours and pure food colours, capacity of plant doubled 1966
Hounslow Race course
High Street
A30, was the Roman Road to Silchester, Hessian, Duke of Wellington, all military
George coaching
Site of Priory was for travellers, Manor built on the site, demolished 1820. James II standing army, 1963, 13th century ransomed Christians from the Moors 1296, weekly market dissolved 1539
Neal’s Corner 1902 by W.A. Davies, tall, terracotta-trimmed, with an onion-dome turret, bravely holds its own against the faceless later c20 office blocks spreading down Staines Road
Treaty Centre, mostly concealed behind c19 frontages, vast, 1984-7 by Fitzroy Robinson Partnership, for Hounslow and Taylor Woodrow Properties: a package of shopping, library, and advice centre. The covered shopping precinct is approached down a mall filling up the former Treaty Road. In the centre a galleried atrium with elaborately trussed glazed roof. At the back, the exterior is of red brick with set-back pitched roofs. A covered arcade and some blank arches on this side provide a little relief, but there is no attempt at the visual interest of the contemporary centre at Ealing. The result is the sadder because this great hulk replaced a distinguished group of civic buildings in Treaty Road: the council house, public library, and baths, all of 1904-5, the chef d'oeuvre of the local architect Nowell Parr. They were adorned by his favourite colourful glazed tiles both inside and out. Fragments of the rich decoration have been preserved. Terracotta figures of Justice and Wisdom from the council house are meaninglessly set up on a plinth on the s side. Four panels of art nouveau glass from the library are reassembled to create a feature on the side of the atrium, the glass dome from the stairs to the council room is now in the library, and some terracotta is re-used over the entrance from the High Street.
Chariot
Hounslow Town Station 1st May 1884. Metropolitan District Railway opened as ‘Hounslow’ . services from Acton Local Line 1883. From Acton Town on a spur from Osterley through a locally promoted line but worked by the District 1880s. 1884 renamed ‘Hounslow Town’ Carrying to iron foundry. . 1886 replaced by Heston Hounslow on main line 1886-1903 closed. reopened in 1903. Abandoned in early 1909. On the viaduct on the High Street east of the junction with Kingsley Road. Extended to the south as far as the road because they did not have any statutory powers to build & were not allowed to cross the main road. Therefore built a bridge abutment but no bridge & the station & station house closed in 1886. Disused in 1901. No track or roof, laundry. Used by UDC dustcarts. Replaced in 1909 by new station on the main line. Demolished and became a bus garage.
Inwood Road
77 Lord Clyde
Maswell Hall. The Maswell Park Evangelical Church with music specialities
Lampton Road
Nantley House is a pleasant, modest one-storey day nursery on a hexagonal cluster plan, in yellow brick with, garden walls to match. Borough Architect's Department, 1969.
Staines Road
Trinity Square. Most prominent 1987-8 by Renton, Howard, Wood, and Levin Partnership - two white slabs sliced by a greenhouse roof over entrance and staircases.
84-86 Moon Under Water
St Stephen's Road
St Stephen's church, 1875
Thames Street
Dominion Cinema
Treaty Road
Hounslow Town Hall, formerly the Council House. demolished. This building was erected by Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council in 1904-5, to the designs of T Nowell Parr -surveyor to neighbouring Brentford Urban District Council. The building rather unusually combined a Flemish Renaissance style with Art Nouveau detailing in both its brick facade and internal design. It was demolished, along with the public library and baths with which it was grouped, to make way for the Treaty Shopping Centre. Built in 1984-7.