Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Article 13

$
0
0

 This post has not been finished, it has not been checked or edited


Kingston Road

Portsmouth Road

Scio House, a battlemented and gabled Tudor Gothic villa of c.l8 for the speculative builder John Elger, possibly by his friend Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, was demolished in 1982.

Princes Way

Linden Lodge Schools for the Blind

North House 1933, built as a private house by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

Putney Heath

Putney Heath still one of London's most important acidic heathlands. Heath saved following one of the legendary protests against 19C enclosure. The Spencer family as lords of the manor had allowed extensive gravel digging and brickmaking over and above usual common rights. Lord Spencer's aim was to enclose the common for a park and building development by virtue of a private Act of Parliament. This was presented in 1864 and was swiftly opposed by residents led by the MP Henry Peek. By 1871 Peek and his supporters had seen the successful passing of another Act, which protected the entire area instead. The heath occupies a poorly drained plateau.  Park-like open water can be found. Many birds, while mammals, too, benefit from the varied terrain and vegetation, so that records reveal foxes, rabbits and badgers.  Maintenance is undertaken on behalf of the Board of Conservators by LB Merton Parks Department. The board levies a sliding scale of local rates. Highwaymen

Tibbet's Corner.  Heath Managed by Wimbledon Common Conservators

Obelisk 1788 by George Dance. Brick, formerly cased in stucco. It commemorates the experimental 'fire-proof house' erected here in 1776 by David Hartley, which had iron and copper plates between the floors.

Green Man. Young's sensitive refurbishment of a country house-style pub on the edge of the heath. A small outdoor drinking area at the front overlooks a bus-stand that still features Routemasters.

Kings Mere. Features in films 'Hoffman’

Victoria Drive

55 1935

Our Lady and St Peter R.C. 1971 by Tomas  Mackley & Pound. Central square block surrounded by lower passages and vestries. The steep roof is carried on eight lattice beams which continue upward to form a central lantern-cum-fleche. stained glass in the sanctuary clerestory by Whitefriars Studios.

Wildcroft Road

The Green Man, on the heath is basically c i8



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles