Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Wimbledon Common

$
0
0

 This post has not been finished, it is not edited or checked


Calonne Road

The later houses in this area of ample winding roads also espouse the Arts and Crafts tradition rather than neo-Georgian. A travesty of the latter style reappears in the terraces of town houses of the 1960s70s which are depressingly numerous in Wimbledon

21 Rosemallby M. H. Baillie Scott, 1910, gabled and tile-hung, with the obligatory bit of half-timbering in the centre.

14 Wat Buddha Prateep. Buddhaadipa Temple.Thai Buddhist Temple, By Sidney Kaye, Firmin Partnership, c. 1978-82, with traditional Thai details of curved roof tiles and carved teak door frames. Theraveda temple is one of only two outside Asia with murals inside by Thai artists of the Buddha’s life.

High Street

A broad road with irregular frontages, still has pleasant echoes of a village street, with its small closes

Running off the side, between a mixture of cottages, inns and prosperous small shops of the type that wealthy suburbs can afford. Mostly modest later Georgian frontages, especially on the s side, some the result of tactful early C20 improvements

38-39, altered by Thomson & Pomeroy in 1907.

Ashford House dates from 1720 later shops in front.

44-45 Claremount House is a nice simple L-shaped late c17 brick house with Georgian alterations and possibly earlier parts behind.

Eagle House The only important house built in 1613 for Robert Bell, one of the founders of the East India Company, a facade of three widely spaced bays with three big shaped gables. Brick, now mostly rendered. Three canted bay-windows; central entrance leading into the middle of one short side of the hall, which runs at an angles to the front through to the back of the house, still an unusual arrangement at that time. Original three plaster ceilings on the first floor and one on the ground floor, the hall over mantel on the ground floor, and the panelling of the former dining room (1730). The house was bought by the architect Sir T. G.Jackson and restored in 1887. He rebuilt the back centre wing. 1613 Later a school where Schopenhauer was a pupil

Fire Station one of a number of minor former municipal buildings tile-hung, with a pretty bell-turret of 1890.

National Westminster Bank, by Cheston & Parkin, 1895; domed corner turret with Franco-Flemish carving.

68-69 Brewery Tap. one of the few genuine pubs remaining in Wimbledon village. Its name refers to the Wimbledon Brewery which stood next door but was destroyed by fire in 1889.

Rose and Crown.  Jolly public bar. Where Swinburne used to drink. The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI  and Elizabeth of York. 

24 Dog and Fox.  Tudor origins

27 Hill Bookshop

Westminster Bank 1895

Lingfield Road

Village Club and Hall, close to the outlying part of the village. 1858 by S. S. Teulon. Picturesque small group enlivened by coloured brick and a varied roof-line, the hall with an eccentric traceried window; tower adjoining. Enlarged 1879

Marryat Road

More houses of c. 1900

41 Features in films 'Séance on a Wet Afternoon’.

Murray Road

59 Small exotic garden with pergola designed by Myles Challis. Gravel and lawn. Many unusual and tender plants including trachycarpus, musa and Catalpa bignonioides and many clematis.

Parkside

Rich in arts and crafts houses.  Along the edge of the common towards the borough boundary, where most of the grander mansions were built in the c 19 and early c 20 The styles ranged from late classical to Voysey, Lutyens, and beyond. The sequence is now much depleted, especially where houses have been replaced by mediocre private and model L.C.C. housing

22 an uncompromising yet discreet interloper. 1977 by Richard Rogers. Two transparent one-storey boxes with yellow-painted steel frames, hidden by a mound from the road.

23-25 Old Pound House by Moore

28 with gables or pediments by Hubbard and Moore

26 by Stanky J. May, 1906, Voyseyish Art and Crafts

33 by F. Wheeler Son & Searle, with mullioned bay windows.

49 Beechholme mid c 19

54 -56, both later c 19.

Cardiff handsome 1903

Peek Crescent

2 with giant Ionic corner pilasters

5 by Hubbard & Moore, 1905 with round-headed centerpiece above pilasters

South Side

4 Neo Georgian

King's College School. Transferred from Somerset House in 1897. A plain rendered Georgian house by Cooke 1750 with a Tuscan porch and, attached to it, the broad chapel-like brick front of a neo-Perpendicular range by Sir B. Fletcher, 1899. More buildings of the c 19 and c20.

St.George's Road?

16 Elys Ltd.

Wimbledon Common

Common.  Gravel plateau with rough grassland.  Stream and valley bogs with lots lizards and things few buildings apart from the enclave by West Side Common. The Lords of the Manor, the Spencers, threatened to encroach on it in the c19, 1744 Spencer owned the commons.  1812 started cutting trees etc. and in 1864 had a plan to sell.  Many rows. Prevented by the Commons Preservation Society, confirmed by Act of Parliament in 1871.  Wimbledon middle class commons committee with Henry Peek.  Ownership with trustees and Spencer got an annuity.  Act 197.  Purchased from Spencer in 1967.

Woodhayes Road

3-4 Southside House.  Romantic country garden extending to almost 2 acres- Mature trees and hedges and a long informal canal form the structure of this unique and amusing garden. 2 grottos, 2 temples, pet cemetery, young orchard and wildflower meadow. Many of the smaller plantings are being gradually renovated. Lovely swathes of bluebells, small fernery and black and white garden. This was the home of Axel Munthe who wrote The Story of San Michele.



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles