Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Caterham

$
0
0

 

Caterham

The place name has Celtic elements in it so could f be that this was a British enclave in the Dark Ages. The village had a population concerned with sheep and woollen manufacture up to the 17th

Church Hill

The hill is said to be the original carriage drive to Caterham Court

St.Mary's church a flint church built in 1866 by W.Basset Smith and since Enlarged. Built to replace the Norman parish church opposite. It was funded by Harry Woodlands.  The spire is of timber covered with cedar shingles.

Churchyard with Garden of Remembrance

St.Laurence church.The church was provided in 1095 by the new lord of the manor after the Conquest for his own and tenants’ use.  Like other local dip slope parishes this small original downland church was small and built next to the manor.  It was disused from 1866 when St.Mary’s was built except as a Sunday school but it had been used again since the 1960s. The South aisle and chapel were 12th but destroyed. Wooden bell turret. Its 13th-century front is now in St John's, in the valley. The church has a chamber organ acquired from Canterbury Cathedral

 Churchyard includes a memorial tree donated by local Quakers

St.Paul’s Centre, built 1990.

Caterham Court.

Chaldon Road

Was previously called Reigate Road

Church Road

Caterham Common. Cricket Ground – Caterham had a major team in the 1760s and three important matches were played here

Harestone Hill

United Reform Church

Harestone Valley Road

Soper Hall. For the local parish council, opened 1912 and named after a local man

House which was a lodge to Caterham Court

High Street

34 The King and Queen Pub

56-60 site of row of 18thcottages, Roffey Place, demolished in 1964. 

Old people’s accommodation on the corner of Chaldon Road. Site of Hillcroft School.  The school dated from 1804 when the Lord of the Manor had arranged for a school to be built on Caterham common land.  In18972it was rebuilt as a Board School. 

Manor Avenue

Church Cottage, believed to be one of the original buildings of Caterham Manor

Park Road

Queens Park. Set up by the parish council in 1900 for Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.  There is a clock in the park which came from Caterham Barracks,

Stafford Road

This was once a private` road with gates at either end

Flooding opposite council maisonettes

1 East Surrey Museum. Opened by the Bourne Society in 1981. Flint and brick 19th house.

Caterham Valley Library. Pretentious.

77 Air-Raid Shelter In the bank a small sealed-up air-raid shelter still remains. Until 1993 it was easy to find, but now the entrance is earthed up and it can now only be identified by a few courses of bricks protruding above the surface of the bank.

Stanstead Road

An ancient route recorded in 1247 and said to be a pilgrim road. There have been claims it is Roman. Stanstead means stony way.

Waller Road

This was the original road between the two parts of Caterham – now superceded by Church Hill.


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles