↧
Warlingham
Green
The older part of Warlingham isgrouped round a green.
2 The Leather Bottle.
Cottages built of chalk blocks. Demolished.
White Lion. The name is a reference to the badge of Edward IV. Part is a fllint cottage. Built in 1647 as a farm.Royal Mail coaches used to stop there,
Atwood Almshouses, called The College. 1663 miniature, humble.
Pond in Willey’s Pit near the Warren,
Limpsfield Road
Ashby's Mill. From their prominent scarp faces, the North Downs slope so gently towards Croydon and the north that a plateau is formed in the Warlingham and Chelsham area. In this highland region windmills have been recorded since the twelfth century. It is a waterless region in which windmills did not have to compete with watermills. Unfortunately the lack of water meant that there was little hope of extinguishing fire, and the mills were in constant danger of being burnt down. One such mill, burnt down in 1865 was the smock mill, Ashby's Mill, which existed behind the Leather Bottle Inn at Warlingham near the present public library. The outbuildings and the Mill House survived until 1948 on the site now occupied by Shelton Avenue. A fragment of a millstone exhibited in the library's grounds acts as a memorial.
Warlingham
All Saints Church. An interesting church, which was built about 1250 and remained in its original state until 1893. The wall still shows holes made to support the scaffolding when the church was being built. There is also a large painting of St Christopher, discovered in 1881. A window preserves some of its original 15th-century glass and a modern window recalls a tradition that thefirst English prayer book was read in this church for the first time, before Archbishop Cranmer in 1549. The 15th-century font is curiously carved on one side with a grotesque head. There is a timber and plaster screen showing that this was a poorer church. The wooden steeple is and important example of Surrey woodwork. The first televised service on British TV came from here.
↧