Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Woldingham

$
0
0

 

Nethern Court Road

Nether Court was one of the original manors of Woldingham and farmed land to the north.

Northdown Road

Northdown Road was originally the only road to the village, going up to it from the Ridgeway. The land farmed by its owners was to the south as far as the Ridgeway

Upper Court – one of the original manors of the parish

Upper Court Farm – Gilford turned the farm pond into a reservoir.

Station Road

St Paul's church. Built in  1933 as a memorial to Lord Inchape the P&O ship-owner who had died in 1932. Designed by Herbert Baker with stained glass by Douglas Strachan. Agates from the Nizam of Hydrabad.

The Crescent

Shops built in the 1920s.

The Green

Some early 19th cottages were built and are still here

Hop Poles pub built in the early 19th but closed down by Gilford

Air-Raid Shelter although sealed up under the Green this is believed to be intact

The Green was originally common land

Upper Court Road

Village Institute early 20th

Woldingham

On a ridge between two down land valley, residential district. a small rural parish 750 feet up on thechalk downs.   Was a minute settlement until the 20th.  In the late 19thWilliam Gilford, a Redhill geologist,  bouight the entire parish and took to rebuilding it. He designed the village as it is in the 21st and imposed covenants.

Littleshaw.arts and crafts house by Leonard Stokes for himself. listed grade II

The pump house for Gilford’s original water works, converted to housing


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles