↧
Enfield
Baker Street,
Continuation of Green Lanes. Drove road into London
Vicarage, Elizabethan house built in Georgian times, 16th century wings
Fox Hall
The Bell. Demure and tile hung
The Hop Poles. 1909 expansive and half-timbered.
172-174 18th
68 The Jolly Butchers 1906 by William Stewart, still has the florid exuberance of the turn of the century: roughcast gables, plaster frieze and domed turrets formerly flanking a central carriageway
Birkbeck Road
Brigadier Hill
Boys’ school built in the 1870s and later the girls’ school joined it on site.
Carterhatch Square?
Dissenting school of industry
Chase Side
Christ ChurchUnited Reformed Church. Built for Congregationalists to replace two earlier chapels. Started in 1874-7, by the leading Nonconformist architect John Tarring, a Gothic building to vie with those of the Anglicans. It is of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings, cruciform with polygonal apse and a fine tower-porch with crocketed spire and diagonal buttresses topped by pinnacles. Delicately carved angel busts flank the doorway. The interior has arcades on slim quatrefoil piers with lavish carved capitals; transepts with elaborate Decorated style tracery. Fittings – marble pulpit, carved reredos and stained glass, which are also in the Anglican tradition.
Church hall, 1939.
Enfield
Standard Telephones and Cables. Twenty-three farms in Enfield.
Gordon Hill
St Michael and All Angels. 1874, by Carpenter & Ingelow. Unfinished when services started. West Wall only completed in 1963, in irregularly coursed stone. Handsome interior, with parts carefully differentiated. Fine timber roof. Pulpit 1904, with marble shafts.
Gordon Road
Some houses laid out by the North London Society before 1880
St. George’s RC Primary School
Halifax Road
Some houses laid out by the North London Society before 1880
Lancaster Road
United Reformed Church. 1885. Small, of polychrome brick, with circular window.
Lavender Road
Elementary School 1910
Parsonage Lane
Used to be a pond there but it was filled in 1906.
Primrose Avenue
Railway Line
The line curves west out of Enfield Chase station. Goes round the western edge of the town on a long embankment with ‘plane and other trees’. Bridges with stone coping and red bricks.
Rosemary Avenue
St.Aubuyns, Church of St.John, 1911 Hill Fields, bought by Enfield UDC.
Golf course, elegant brick bridge carries road from the car park across the New River
Tenniswood Road
New River From the footbridge at the end of the road, the New River continues south alongside Ladysmith Road
Trinity Street
Chase Side Board School by Enfield School Board. Very red terracotta trim. 1899
↧