The North London Line
The North London Line from West Hampstead Station turns south westwards
Post to the east West Hampstead
Barlow Road
Built on the site of the Midland Railway’s West End Sidings – a marshalling yard and goods distribution centre. William Barlow was the Midland Railway’s engineer who built much of St.Pancras Station.
Lauriston Lodge, sheltered housing
Brassey Road
Built on the site of the Midland Railway’s West End Sidings – a marshalling yard and goods distribution centre. Thomas Brassey was the civil engineer and contractor for the Midland Railway London extension into St Pancras in 1860 and was responsible for 1 in 3 miles of all railway track that was laid during his lifetime.
Sidings Community Centre. Opened in 1983 and named for the Wrest End Sidings and it stands on a small part of the siding site.
Christchurch Avenue
Railway Bridge carrying the Chiltern Line from St, Marylebone
Metropolitan Railway bridge. This was built in 1914 – the date is shown on the bridge - and carries the Metropolitan and Jubilee line tracks over the A5. It still carries Metropolitan Railway insignia and signage.
Murals– under the railway bridge and relates to the building of the railway.
The Bijou Cinema in the film the Smallest Show on Earth was constructed as a set between the two railways bridges
Fordwych Road
St. Cuthbert. The parish was formed in 1888 and met in an iron church originally founded by Holy Trinity, Finchley Road which had been replaced in 1882 by a brick mission church designed by W. C. Street. A church was later built at right angles to the mission church in red brick style by Street in 1886. The mission church became the church hall but was demolished in 1902 by the Midland Railway who rebuilt it nearer to the church in 1903. In 1979 it was to sell the site of the church for housing. A new church was built in 1987-8 by Jeremy A. Allen. As a low, polygonal brick building set back. In front of the church is a bell of 1906 from Street's church whose site is occupied by a block of flats
Garlinge Road
Chevington Estate. Housing project built by the London Borough of Camden when Sydney Cook was borough architect 1965-73.
Iverson Road
9-11 Brondesbury Christian Centre. This was built in 1989 to replace the Baptist church on the corner with Shoot Up Hill and on the site of the church Sunday School and hall. Brondesbury hall dated from 1884 and used as a mission chord and Sunday School.
Railway Bridge
Kilburn High Road
This is the A5, a Roman Road and still a major road out of London north. It is a section of the ancient Watling Street and the western boundary of the London borough of Camden.
Brondesbury Baptist Church,., was built on site given by Jas. Harvey and opened in 1878 on the Corner with Iverson Road. It was an ornate building by W. A. Dixon with a church hall. It closed in 1980, demolished and was replaced by flats.
375 North London Tavern Pub
The Envoy Cinema opened in 1937 as a news and cartoon cinema decorated in an Art Deco style. The Entrance was via a long corridor along the side of the auditorium and patrons entered from the rear with the screen behind the front facade. Seating was on one level only. It was taken over by the Classic Repertory Cinemas chain and re-named Classic Cinema from 1955. It closed in 1984. The building lay empty and derelict but the site is now housing. The premier of the first West Indian made film was shown here.
Kilburn Station. Opened in 1879 by the Metropolitan Railway it now lies between Willesden Green and West Hampstead on the Jubilee Line. It was first called as ‘Kilburn and Brondesbury’ as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway. In 1939 it became part of the Bakerloo Line and at which time the station was extensively rebuilt and in 1950 name was changed to ‘Kilburn’. In 1979 it became art of the Jubilee Line and in 2005, underwent major refurbishing which involved the station being repainted, receiving a new CCTV system, better lighting, new toilets, and new train indicator boards
Kingscroft Street
In 1911 work began on this road on the site of Shoot Up Hill Farm and the Elms; 7 houses were built there before 1914
Loveridge Road
Built by British Land Company 1879
Maygrove Road
The Kilburn stream is said to have run between this and Iverson Road. The road was built up mainly by the British Land Company from 1879.
Maygrove Peace Park is situated on the site of part of je former West End railway sidings. In 1983, Camden Council agreed to designate Maygrove a peace park as a reminder of the council’s commitment to peace. The opening of the park was on the 39th Nagasaki Day and a telegram from the Mayor of Nagasaki, Hitoshi Motoshima, said "We hope your Peace Park will be remembered long as a symbol of Peace”’. There are various works of art relevant to peace in the park -The Peace Crane by Hamish Black represents the Japanese origami peace crane made by children all over the world. On the plinth a plaque tells the story of the little girl called Sadako and the origin of the crane as the Japanese symbol of peace. along Peace Walk are 7 stones inscribed with messages of peace, one of which is from the Mayor of Hiroshima, Takeshi Araki “We the citizens of Hiroshima ever mindful of the cruel experience clearly foresee the extinction of mankind and an end to civilisation should the world drift into nuclear war. Therefore we have vowed to set aside our griefs and grudges and continuously pleaded before the peoples of the world to abolish weapons and renounce war so that we may never again repeat the tragedy of Hiroshima” - Antony Gormley’s “untitled (listening)” statue, with a granite block symbolising “part of the old deep history of the planet… sculpted by time – a cherry tree marking the cherry tree which continued to bloom throughout the holocaust of Hiroshima.
128 Done Our Bit Club. A private club for veterans, working men and ex-army men. There is a lounge and a bar.
67 Maygrove House offices and other uses in refurbished building
65 conversion to flats of site used by Dexion, metal shelving and construction specialists as their west London headquarters
59 Garage Maygrove Motors
Mission Hall
Railway Bridge
Netherwood Street
Netherwood Day Centre. This was set up for dementia sufferers and was opened in 1988 by Jonathan Miller whose mother, the writer Betty Miller, suffered early onset Alzheimer’s.
Railway
The Midland Railway which connects West Hampstead Thames link station to St Pancras and Europe through the Eurostar International line. The first train to use this line left St Pancras en route to Manchester at in 1868.
Sources
British History on Line, Middlesex. Web site
Camden History Review
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Dexion. Wikipedia. Web site
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Camden web site
London Encyclopaedia
Pevsner and Cherry... North West London
Stevenson, Middlesex
Walford. Village London
Willesden History Society. Newsletter
The North London Line from West Hampstead Station turns south westwards
Post to the east West Hampstead
Barlow Road
Built on the site of the Midland Railway’s West End Sidings – a marshalling yard and goods distribution centre. William Barlow was the Midland Railway’s engineer who built much of St.Pancras Station.
Lauriston Lodge, sheltered housing
Brassey Road
Built on the site of the Midland Railway’s West End Sidings – a marshalling yard and goods distribution centre. Thomas Brassey was the civil engineer and contractor for the Midland Railway London extension into St Pancras in 1860 and was responsible for 1 in 3 miles of all railway track that was laid during his lifetime.
Sidings Community Centre. Opened in 1983 and named for the Wrest End Sidings and it stands on a small part of the siding site.
Christchurch Avenue
Railway Bridge carrying the Chiltern Line from St, Marylebone
Metropolitan Railway bridge. This was built in 1914 – the date is shown on the bridge - and carries the Metropolitan and Jubilee line tracks over the A5. It still carries Metropolitan Railway insignia and signage.
Murals– under the railway bridge and relates to the building of the railway.
The Bijou Cinema in the film the Smallest Show on Earth was constructed as a set between the two railways bridges
Fordwych Road
St. Cuthbert. The parish was formed in 1888 and met in an iron church originally founded by Holy Trinity, Finchley Road which had been replaced in 1882 by a brick mission church designed by W. C. Street. A church was later built at right angles to the mission church in red brick style by Street in 1886. The mission church became the church hall but was demolished in 1902 by the Midland Railway who rebuilt it nearer to the church in 1903. In 1979 it was to sell the site of the church for housing. A new church was built in 1987-8 by Jeremy A. Allen. As a low, polygonal brick building set back. In front of the church is a bell of 1906 from Street's church whose site is occupied by a block of flats
Garlinge Road
Chevington Estate. Housing project built by the London Borough of Camden when Sydney Cook was borough architect 1965-73.
Iverson Road
9-11 Brondesbury Christian Centre. This was built in 1989 to replace the Baptist church on the corner with Shoot Up Hill and on the site of the church Sunday School and hall. Brondesbury hall dated from 1884 and used as a mission chord and Sunday School.
Railway Bridge
Kilburn High Road
This is the A5, a Roman Road and still a major road out of London north. It is a section of the ancient Watling Street and the western boundary of the London borough of Camden.
Brondesbury Baptist Church,., was built on site given by Jas. Harvey and opened in 1878 on the Corner with Iverson Road. It was an ornate building by W. A. Dixon with a church hall. It closed in 1980, demolished and was replaced by flats.
375 North London Tavern Pub
The Envoy Cinema opened in 1937 as a news and cartoon cinema decorated in an Art Deco style. The Entrance was via a long corridor along the side of the auditorium and patrons entered from the rear with the screen behind the front facade. Seating was on one level only. It was taken over by the Classic Repertory Cinemas chain and re-named Classic Cinema from 1955. It closed in 1984. The building lay empty and derelict but the site is now housing. The premier of the first West Indian made film was shown here.
Kilburn Station. Opened in 1879 by the Metropolitan Railway it now lies between Willesden Green and West Hampstead on the Jubilee Line. It was first called as ‘Kilburn and Brondesbury’ as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway. In 1939 it became part of the Bakerloo Line and at which time the station was extensively rebuilt and in 1950 name was changed to ‘Kilburn’. In 1979 it became art of the Jubilee Line and in 2005, underwent major refurbishing which involved the station being repainted, receiving a new CCTV system, better lighting, new toilets, and new train indicator boards
Kingscroft Street
In 1911 work began on this road on the site of Shoot Up Hill Farm and the Elms; 7 houses were built there before 1914
Loveridge Road
Built by British Land Company 1879
Maygrove Road
The Kilburn stream is said to have run between this and Iverson Road. The road was built up mainly by the British Land Company from 1879.
Maygrove Peace Park is situated on the site of part of je former West End railway sidings. In 1983, Camden Council agreed to designate Maygrove a peace park as a reminder of the council’s commitment to peace. The opening of the park was on the 39th Nagasaki Day and a telegram from the Mayor of Nagasaki, Hitoshi Motoshima, said "We hope your Peace Park will be remembered long as a symbol of Peace”’. There are various works of art relevant to peace in the park -The Peace Crane by Hamish Black represents the Japanese origami peace crane made by children all over the world. On the plinth a plaque tells the story of the little girl called Sadako and the origin of the crane as the Japanese symbol of peace. along Peace Walk are 7 stones inscribed with messages of peace, one of which is from the Mayor of Hiroshima, Takeshi Araki “We the citizens of Hiroshima ever mindful of the cruel experience clearly foresee the extinction of mankind and an end to civilisation should the world drift into nuclear war. Therefore we have vowed to set aside our griefs and grudges and continuously pleaded before the peoples of the world to abolish weapons and renounce war so that we may never again repeat the tragedy of Hiroshima” - Antony Gormley’s “untitled (listening)” statue, with a granite block symbolising “part of the old deep history of the planet… sculpted by time – a cherry tree marking the cherry tree which continued to bloom throughout the holocaust of Hiroshima.
128 Done Our Bit Club. A private club for veterans, working men and ex-army men. There is a lounge and a bar.
67 Maygrove House offices and other uses in refurbished building
65 conversion to flats of site used by Dexion, metal shelving and construction specialists as their west London headquarters
59 Garage Maygrove Motors
Mission Hall
Railway Bridge
Netherwood Street
Netherwood Day Centre. This was set up for dementia sufferers and was opened in 1988 by Jonathan Miller whose mother, the writer Betty Miller, suffered early onset Alzheimer’s.
Railway
The Midland Railway which connects West Hampstead Thames link station to St Pancras and Europe through the Eurostar International line. The first train to use this line left St Pancras en route to Manchester at in 1868.
Sources
British History on Line, Middlesex. Web site
Camden History Review
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Dexion. Wikipedia. Web site
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Camden web site
London Encyclopaedia
Pevsner and Cherry... North West London
Stevenson, Middlesex
Walford. Village London
Willesden History Society. Newsletter