this post has not been edited or sourced
↧
Hendon
St. John the Evangelist. 1895. An early work by Temple Moore, 1895-6. Plain stock brick contrasts stone dressings and elaborate decorated tracery. Interior modelled on Austin Friars Church in the City, with tall, austere stone arcades without capitals or clerestory; the arcade provided for an aisle, which was never built. Chapel, vestries, parish room fittings from City churches. Noble mahogany pulpit 1760 from St Michael Bassishaw. Elegant Font in the style of Wren, small cup on a bulbous baluster, with ogee-shaped font cover. These and the wooden reredos are from St George, Botolph Lane, installed there in 1673, moved here 1909. The reredos has lost its side panels and pediment. Vestry panelling also from City churches. Stained glass. Memorial Chancel altar 1935 by F.C. Eden. Brass. Rev. W.H. Ogle-Scan 1912 erected 1928. Large portrait brass of vestments, designed by Leslie Moore
Vicarage roughcast of 1900 is also by Moore alas, reglazed in front. The three gables mirror what was intended for the church
Pivotal, enormous, surrounded by loose compositions of meagre, thinly stretched Georgian motifs, facing the Underground station and a cinema of 1932
Gaumont/Classic Cinema. Classic quired forty-nine cinemas from Rank in December 1967 and renamed them and the company invested heavily in the former Gaumont at Hendon Central. A luxury lounge policy was created in the stalls, presenting a wonderful opportunity for stage presentations. Live shows booked by general manager Brian Yeoman included the Jewish revue Goldberg and Solomon Go Kosher for a six- day run which proved so popular that it was returned a month later for a further six days. The Syd Lawrence Orchestra was a sell-out. Miss Libby Morris in her solo revue As Dorothy Parker Once Said, Those Were the Days, starring Reg Dixon, Cavan O'Conner, Adelaide Hall and the king of jazz, Nat Gonella, played for six days. The controversial late nighter, Alex Sanders' White Witch Show, not only created an avalanche of national and local publicity but it nearly caused a riot by the capacity audience. Wrestling was also presented with top names - Mick McManus, Steve Logan, the St. Clair brothers and Jumping Jim Hussey. With its finger on the fashion of the Seventies, female front-of-house staff were attired in a black lace top and black leather miniskirt, with black knee-high boots. In February 1971, following a £72,000 conversion scheme, the Hendon Classic became a three-screen show- piece without the loss of a single evening show. Following this work, stage presentations were not entirely abandoned. In 1977, the actor John Forgeham read extracts from the Bible from the stage of Screen One to a near capacity audience for a two-hour performance. Throughout the Seventies, this Classic was the focus of meetings, training and prize-giving ceremonies resulting from various business drives for managers. Hendon regularly presented a diet of late night shows on Friday and Saturday with an all-night horror show once a month, on a Saturday. All aspects of Hendon activity were always well pro- moted due to an excellent relationship with the editor and the show-page critic of the Hendon Times. Promotion for Hendon's second all-night horror show.
Elliott Road
The Hospital was demolished in 1992. The site now contains the Grovemead Health Centre at 67 Elliot Road.
Hendon Central Station. 19th November 1923. Between Colindale and Brent Cross on the Northern Line. Opened on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway Opened as an extension from Golder's Green. Built as a neo Georgian design by S.A.Hea with an elegant shopping parade around it. Hendon Central forms the North East quadrant of the composition of Central Circus with eight white stone pillars outside the entrance to the station. There were plans for the area already in 1912, butbuildingonly took off after work on the railway began in 1922.
Rising Sun Inn 17th
↧