this post has not been edited or checked
↧
Eltham Park
A2 Relief Road
1885-88. 244 house demolished and 8 acres of open space gone. Green Link Bridge across the two bits of Eltham Park.
Corbett Estate
Grid of streets with Scottish names round the station. Thomas Jackson's estate bought by Jamieson and sold to Corbett. Lib MP for Glasgow. Land bought in 1895 by Corbett. No alcohol. Corbett built his poshest houses within easy walking distance of the railway but out of sight of it. Cheaper houses either nearer the railway or on the far edge of the estate.
dene hole. 1878, a shaft and chamber discovered. In order to remedy the water supply, workmen discovered that water ran into a disused brick shaft with a brick crown. The shaft was 100 yards from a houseand was 140 ft. deep widening into a chamber in .chalk, which was 40 ft. by 50 ft. and 9 ft high. It had a flat roof in a band of flint, and was supported by three pillars of chalk in the centre. The shaft was lined as far as the chalk. There were eight courses of brickwork in the chalk lining. The whole of the lining rested on a plate of wood on a ledge.
two Roman burial urns also found which were smashed by accident.
Crookston Road
1a s
Shop was on the site of a hut stayed there and used as a shop until 1958
Used for hutments
Dairsie Road
Used for hutments
Drumbeck Road
Used for hutments
Earlshall Road
Used for hutments
Elibank Road
One hut at least still used as garden shed
Used for hutments
Eltham Park Gardens
Corbett c. 1909
Eltham Park Station,
Shooters Hill sub station alongside
Park House stood opposite the station
Eltham Warren
Golf Course: Gravel path lane and nature study centre. Warren source of spring water for palace and moat and lots of springs. Gravel pits of 1740s. Grassland etc. foxes and rabbits. Drainage ditch across the golf course ancient derelict hedges around. Round very good.
Eltham Park North
Bought by London County Council 1929 after pressure from WBC. North part bought in 1930 to conserve the old Long Pond Walk. Woodlands, and a special atmosphere,particularly around the Long Pond. Surrounded on three sides by Shepherdleas Woods. The grassland is managed as meadow.
Long Pond. Lots of frogs and water birds. This is an ancient long pond, probably dug 1800-1830 and used as a boating lake in mid-19th. It is attractive,with its overhanging trees. .
Children’s play area, a putting green and tennis courts.
Roman remains
Denehole
Eltham Park South
Eltham Park. This very large area of open space is divided by the railway lineand the Rochester Way Relief Road, which run alongside each other in a deep cutting.Eltham Park South was acquired by the LondonCounty Council in 1902, as public open space. An early open space in the area. ).Has a large grassed area with sports facilities
Open air swimming pool opened 1924. Closed and derelict
Greenvale Road
Used for hutments
Railline
Blackheath to Falconwood is a green corridor with cuttings and embankments with sycamore and oak woodland. Hawthorn and bramble providing habitat for birds and animals.
Rochester Way
Deansfield. Old playing field surrounded by Shepherdleas Wood. Rough grassland with scrub and young trees.
Shepherdleas Wood
Shepherdleas Wood. part of the ancient forest that covers Shooters Hill and it forms part of Eltham Park. Many of the trees were damaged by the storm of 1987. Acquired 1934. There are fine views. It was acquired by the London County Council at the same time as Oxleas Wood and had similar characteristics to it. it is designated a site of special scientific interest, and is classified as ancient woodland, though there have been many changes. The dominant tree is oak, and there are also sweet chestnut, blackthorn, aspen, hazel, birch, ash, wild cherry, as well as the rarer wild service tree. There is a wide variety of shrubs, wild herbs and other wild plants in denseundergrowth. there is a fine display of bluebells in the late spring, particularly on thewestern side..There is a good network of footpaths through the woods.
Westmount Road
92/98 Station Parade. Shops in what was originally Eltham Park Station. 96 was the booking office. The station was originally built by the firm ofSir Arthur Blomfield & Son in 1908 to serve the Eltham Park Estate, already at that time well advanced in construction. It was quite splendid, with covered walkways down ramps to the canopied platforms. It was originally called Shooters Hill & Eltham Park Station, and was renamedEltham Park in 1927. It was closed in 1985 and replaced by Eltham Station. The remains (which can be viewed from Glenlea Road across the Rochester WayRelief Road) consist of the platforms and, behind the shops, a short and derelictsection of the wooden covered walkway. The original station building is now 92/98Westmount Road, having between the wars become a parade of shops; 96 with itsdistinctive upper part was the original entrance and booking office.
285 Co-op Bungalow branch opened 1917. In three huts. Closed when the new shop opened in Well Hall
Three sculpted vent pipes?
↧