This post has not been edited or checked
↧
Catford
Conical hill. A Roman road supposedly ran across it. Marked thus near to ‘Blythe House’ built c.1830 on Bacon's map of 1888, possibly a transferred name or so called from the surname of some local person or family.
Blythe Hill Fields.
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover.
Blythe Vale
Old lane on old maps called Stoney Street
Brockley Grove
The south end, overlooking the Cemetery has a new row of small 2-storey. Occupied by clerks etc, no servants. Begins just west of Arthurdon Street and the new houses a little way along on the south side. On the north is the Cemetery, with its Lodge. Further along is Haddon (now Joy) Farm, coming down. West of this house building until the other end of Chudleigh Road is reached, then a few more houses like the new houses in Ladywell Road. On the north side, east of Merritt Road are new 2-storey houses. Smaller. Between .Merritt Road and Lindal Road are new 2-storey houses with attics. Then older houses, 2-storey West only one house. The Grove is continued round the bend facing the open front of Brockley Hall. 2-storey houses. Occasional servants, "a better class than they look”. Cases of afternoon house-breaking; in one recently "a lot of stuff "taken. At the extreme corner are two old cottages. Brockley Hall is occupied by the family of Nokes (deceased), big brewers. At this point in this section there are no houses till those in Ravensbourne Park and Blythe Hill are reached.
Brockley Park
Four self build houses next to the school
Brockley Park Estate, built by Lewisham Council 1980, is at the top of the hill. Partly weather boarded houses are in imaginatively grouped clusters around a large but secluded green, and there are similar houses nearby. The road outside provides a fantastic view across to the ridges formed by Honor Oak Road and Sydenham Hill, with the tower of Horniman Museum in between.
Houses Crisp low yellow brick terraces of the 1970s an interesting example of more recent trends. Homely timber-framed, partly weather boarded clusters of imaginativelygrouped houses, around a secluded green...A special feature is the flexible planning which allows for anadditional front room or garage. By the Borough of LewishamArchitect's Department, Geoffrey Wigfall. 1978-80.
Brockley Rise
56 The Chandos, an imposing pub of 1857. cheapest pub in the area. Model of the Burton Union system of brewing.
St Saviour. 1865-6 by W. Smith, completed 1875 and 1928, truncated after war damage.
St Georges Church Hall, originally St Georges Slum School and Parish Room of 1889, now serving as the Church; like the church, has some distinctive features
Catford Hill
Prince Henry was the Place House Tavern with an alleged haunted cellar. closed
Elsinore Road
Bombed 8.12.40 50 casualties
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Stanton with Thames Water logo
Kilmore Road
Bombed 1940, school destroyed
Ladywell Road
Four more self-build houses of 1996 on the south side backing onto Segal Close.
1/3 a fine stuccoed Italianate pair c 1870, with towers at each end. Note the numerous narrow round-headed windows - pairs in the towers, tripletselsewhere.
Leads steeply up to Blythe Hill Fields. BetweenLowther Hill and Duncombe Hill is a private oblong of wooded open space, with nopublic access.
Montacute Road
Is the name of the murderer of Edward II who was rewarded with the manor of Catford?
Segal Close
Self build houses - Attractive narrow close off Brockley Park, with seven timber- clad self-build houses based on the Walter Segal concept, completed 1981. It was the earliest of the social self-build schemes of Lewisham; built by Jon Broome of Architype in 1978.
St.Germain Road
1 St.Germain Hotel
Tye Garage. Now a modern building. In the 1920s site of a private bus co. garage. Traded as Edward Paul Ltd. until 1949.
319 Blythe Hill Tavern, pub c1866. development followed the pub. Has become an Irish pub. Lively locals' pub on the South Circular, A three-roomed, two-bar pub, it is larger than the exterior suggests.
250 Stanstead Lodge, A large and fanciful stuccoed villa probably of 1842, with battlemented front and west side.a large Tudor villa ofc. 1840, stuccoed, with crowstepped gable
↧