thuw post has not been checked or edited
↧
Kennington
Aulton Place
Austral Street
27 Two Eagles. pub
Bird Street
Gone. End is Gilbert Road
Bishop’s Terrace
The Ship Features in films 'Melody’
Bowden Street.
Braganza Street
Walworth City Farm. 1987 derelict rubbish dump. Grows Asian and Afro Caribbean vegetables
Brandon Estate.
A cluster of white towers built in the late 1950s. The scheme was drawn up in 1955 for the L.C.C. Architect's Department by Edward Hollamby and six 18 storey towers were built. the estate was extended in the 1960s, with five 26 storey towers.. The early towers have recessed centres, and every four storeys is set back. On top are structures which house the services. Part of the estate is made up of other housing plus older terraces.
Branch Library with clubroom above, and a mural and other decoration by Anthony Holloway.
Henry Moore reclining figures. -Forlornly stranded on a grass mound near the towers is a noble sculpture by Henry Moore, Reclining Figure, set up as part of the idealistic post-war L.C.C.'s policy of modern sculpture in public places
Shopping Precinct. On the far side of the towers a long seven-storey range with projecting centrepiece and a passage through it
Forsyth Gardens
Brook Drive.
Lambeth Hospital. Infirmary Building and Lambeth Workhouse, 1873. Features in films 'Death Wish 3’.Lambeth Hospital. Developed from the infirmary buildings 1877 by Fowler & Hilt added to Lambeth Workhouse. Operating theatres by Yorke Rosenberg & Mardall, 1967
Neckinger down it
Burrup Place (not on az)
Cable hauled trams from junction to Streatham Library in Brixton Road 1895‑1904.
Cardigan Street
Terraces of cottages by Adshead & Ramsay, 1913. They are in a neo-Regency style, something very progressive at that time
castlebrook Close
Site of Lambeth Hospital.
Chester Way
For the Duchy of Cornwall. Later neo-Georgian housing by theLouis de Soissons Partnership
80‑l80 Georgian Terraces.
86‑88 114 132 1789, 91‑167 140‑162 164‑166.
1877 St.Mary's Church, 1872 inside grand Historical Society, Surrey City and Guilds, so Kennington Theatre,
178‑93, 95, 101, l75, 131, 75, l27, l33, 59 Vicarage
Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens between Kennington and Walworth Roads. 1831. Lake, music hall and everything else. Sold off in 1878. Three years after the London Zoo began, a zoo opened in Walworth in 1831. It was called Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens and the proprietor was Edward Cross who moved a menagerie from its original home in the Strand. The zoo had lions, tigers, elephants, llamas, a pair of dromedaries presented by the ruler of Egypt, and a giant tortoise on which children were able to ride. Five giraffes were brought from Africa by an Arab boy Fadlallah. A model of them is in the Cuming Museum. In 1848 Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and the royal children paid the zoo a visit. They were especially interested in a rather strange animal friendship - a tigress and a dog that lived in the same cage. The zoo closed in 1856 and nothing of it remains in the Manor Place area, where it was situated.
Kennington Station. 18th December 1890. Terminus of Northern Line from Waterloo. Between Oval and Elephant and Castle on the Northern Line. City London and Southwark Railway. Station tunnel 3ft deep brick lining and 20ft wide l6ft high and 20 ft long. Dome housed headgear and hydraulic lifts. One of the original stations on the first tube line. Now a listed building
Churchyard Row.
Churchyard Row.
London Park Hotel - Third Rowton House,. Setup 1896,architect, H. B. Measures, at the Elephant & Castle originally asa Rowton House having 805 cubicles for working men. It was the third in a series of 'Poor Man's Hotels' started by Montagu William Lowry Corry, Lord Rowton, 1838- 1903. He had been private secretary to Benjamin Disraeli.He made a survey of London's common lodging houses for the Guiness Trust and decided to establish working men's hotels. It opened on 23 December 1897. The best possible lodgings were provided for the small charge of 6d per night. The reading room contained a large variety of engravings representing scenes from Shakespeare. The smoking room was also decorated with engravings and stags' heads. It had its own rooftop gardens, built over the dining rooms. In 1903 additional land was acquired anda further 211 beds were opened. In 1941 a bomb hit the boiler room, demolishing part of the reading room above. There was a Second bomb in 1944;. . TGhere was a laundry, plus a furniture and an engineering shop for metal equipment, were adjacent.
Newington Estate
Pullen Estate
Wilberforce Mission House
Rowton doss house for 800 men,
Cleaver Square
Oblong of late c 18 to mid c 19 terraces formerly Prince's Square after the builder
48 Prince of Wales pub.
Sculpture of a recumbent figure, by James Butler, c. 1970.
Cleaver Square
Cleaver Street
Cottington Street
Combines all the housing (andgaraging) within a series of A-frame ziggurats rising to ninestoreys. The internal corridors and upper level open 'streets'are rather sparsely done but there are generous upper gardenbalconies and nice planted walks at ground level. Apoint block one of those which form such distinctive jagged landmarks in South London. They use a Wates system to fit the design byLambeth Architects Department, and are the most extremeexample of attempts to make the tower form visually excitingin a brutalist manner
Cotton Gardens
Housing of the 1960s. One of the most extreme housing contrasts of the 1960s:three of Lambeth's concrete towers, segregated bygrass and trees
Courtney Square
Georgian Square built just before the First World War by the Duchy of Cornwall.
5 Features in films 'The Calcium Kid’.
Courtney Street
Estate regency style very progressive then.
5 Features in films 'The Calcium Kid’.
omnibus depot.
Dante Road
2 store. Many poor but a mixture of mechanics
Denny Crescent
Cottages by J. D. Coleridge, 1913
Fairford Grove (not on AZ)
Farmers Road
Farmer vitriol makers Farmer in 1858 factory founded in 1778
Gabriel Street (not on AZ)
Gilbert Street
Golden Place.
Gone, north of Kennington Lane and east of Chester Way
Hampton Street
Hart Street
Gone, north of Kennington Lane and east of Chester Way
Hillingdon Street
Holyoak Road
Hotspur Street
Hurle Road
Kempsford Street
Kennington
Probably means ‘farm of a man called Cena’.or ‘place of the king’. ‘Chenintune’ 1086, ‘Kenintone’ 1229, ‘Kenyngton’ 1263. In 1337 given to the Black Prince and it has belonged to the eldest son of the king ever since. Part of the Duchy of Cornwall.
Kennington Park Road
Roman Road radiating from London Bridge opened up for suburban development by the opening of Blackfriars Bridge. Wide and tree-planted on either side some of the prettiest late Georgian terraces in South London. Modern flats, houses and shops line this pleasant thoroughfare but at the southern end, are numerous late Georgian houses with tree-filled front gardens.
Historical Society,
Surrey Zoological Garden site of 15 acres
City and Guilds of London Art School studios and classrooms
42 Old Red Lion pub Genuine olde worlde pub dating back to William III.
46 Mansion House pub. Dates to William III with oak beams and brick noggin. Cocktail lounge with piano bar.
59, the former vicarage of St Mary's, Gothic, 1873,
61-167 date from 1789-93. High quality
75, with Coade stone decoration
95, various designs, some with especially nice fanlights
101, various designs, some with especially nice fanlights
114-132 flanking the entrance to Cleaver Square, 1787-90 by Michael Searles for JosephPrince has someother Georgian terraces -
125, Various designs, some with especially nice fanlights
127, with Coade stone decoration
131 Various designs, some with especially nice fanlights
133 with Coade stone decoration
138 White Bear pub. Ex-coach house. Theatre in the rear. Comfortable, spacious trendy bar notable for settee seats, sewing machine tables and numerous mirrors on walls.
140‑162 1725
Denny Crescent, cottages 1913.
Kennington Cross
Kennington Cross gentsUnderground 'gents', 10 urinal 'stalls.' and one fish-tank cistern - a second was smashed by vandals in the 1970s
Metropolitan Cattle & Drinking Trough Association horse trough, disused. Note low-level trough for shorter creatures.
Kennington Road
Built up after Westminster Bridge opened up this part of Lambeth, still has a remarkably complete collection of late c 18 to early c19 terraces. Features in films 'Melody’.
104 etc. opposite, with stuccoed ground floors
111 Tankard pub. Spacious two-bar pub close to Imperial War Museum with comfortable panelled lounge.
121 etc. of the 1770s on the E side, with a variety of porches,
Junction of Kennington Road, an underground gentlemen's Convenience c. 1900, with original fittings (by Finch & Co. of Lambeth),
114-132 Michael Searles 1787
150 etc. date from 1840
169 Features in films 'Melody’
171 Ship Lively two-bar pub. The pub has a nautical theme with nets hanging from the ceiling and other artefacts.
233-291with a central pediment,
293 Charlie Chaplin’s pub, was previously The Roebuck.
309-341 date from c. 1787.
317 with a pediment inscribed Marlborough Houseby Michael Searles.
340 Cock TavernBack street local with small Public Bar.
St.Anselm
Vauxhall Manor School Annexe. Good example of T. J. Bailey's mature three-decker board schools with jolly Jacobean skyline. 1897, wing 1910
Baths
Balls Yard was 1870 London Tramways Depot.
St Philip, 1862-3 by H. E. Coe with chapel by H. S. Rogers, 1913, ragstone Decorated style. Demolished.
Kennington Park Place.
5 Day Nursery. Built for Bishop of Rochester. By Norman Shaw, 1895. A very subdued Queen Anne facade of six bays.
Old chapel at the back with lunette windows and big eaves.
9 early c 19 altered, stuccoed, with Soanian incised pilasters and recessed entrance;
11 late Georgian
Kennington Theatreonce stood here
Kennington Lane
94 King's Arms. Modern Saloon Bar with pool table and juke box in Public Bar.
Features in films 'Melody’
Imperial Court, the former Licensed Victuallers' School, by Henry Rose, 1836. Large, with a composite portico and pediment. A school would never have been so ambitious in its architecture before the c19, when higher education for the middle class became important enough to call for the monumental. An imposing pile with the swimming pool/drill hall, added in 1890. For the children of decayed Licenced Victuallers who are fed, clothed & educated” NAAFI moved in when kids moved to Slough 1921. Historical collection. Role of canteens in 2WW
155-157; with good door cases, c. 1776-80Duchy of Cornwall Estate Office.
109 etc., early c19, rehabilitated as part ofthe Cottingham Road housing scheme
Kennington Park
Kennington Park Place.
Knights Walk.
A broad paved pathwith crisply designed, rather Scandinavian-looking one- andtwo-storey houses, flat-roofed, of pale brick with dark boarding
London Road
Elephant and Castle station. 18th December 1890. Terminus of Bakerloo Line from Lambeth North. Between Borough and Kennington on the Northern Line. City and South London Railway between King William Street and Stockwell. The station was similar in design to that at Kennington. 1920s Northern line station partly rebuilt. 1960s Northern Line station rebuilt during the construction of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre and roundabout . 2003 Northern Line station modernised with a New extension entrance from Skipton Street. 5THAugust 1906 Opening of Baker Street and Waterloo Railway from Baker Street to here with the terminus and the building of a typical Leslie Green structure.
Lucretia Road
Longville Road
Poor. Some prostitutes but not like Gabriel Street. Dead, dismal street.(Booth)
Mansion House Street.
Gone. Was south side of Kennington Lane
Mechanics, carmen. A shade better than Opal Street (Booth)
Methley Street,
2-storey and 5-storey. All the same, dull and depressing, fair backs. Mechanic compositors, no poor. Rent 20/- a week (Booth)
Milverton Street
2-storey and 5-storey. All the same, dull and depressing, fair backs. Mechanic compositors, no poor Rent 20/- a week. Out of the west side. Is Wigton Place. "Small cab owners, about two horses each." (Booth)
Monkton Street
Newington
Newington Butts
Newington Butts is recorded as from 1558 and recalls the site of the old archery butts here either archery or family name. Main road that soon becomes Kennington Park Road. It has an historic name for in 1538, when archery became a compulsory exercise for all citizens, butts were set up here. Somewhere here, too, Joanna Southcott founded her meeting house with Mr. Carpenter, her main disciple. Later the two quarreled and Joanna went off to Lambeth to repeat the process with a Mr. Tozer. Faraday was born in 1791 in Newington Butts. He began his career as a bookbinder's errand boy in Marylebone but later, when he attended lectures at the Royal Institution, he came under the patronage of Sir Humphrey Davy who fostered his scientific inclinations. Faraday's inventions were too numerous to catalogue but any single one of them could have made him famous. In later life he moved to a house at Hampton Court and he died there in 1867.
17 Butts Free House. No real ale.
140 Plough and Harrow pub. Lively comfortable two-bar timber panelled
146 Cricketers pub
St.Mary's churchyard. Church pulled down in 1876 and now in Kennington Park Road. Medieval church rebuilt in 17th and pulled down for road widening 19th. 1877 now an attractive little park with flowers and grass and a rather monstrous clock tower. Various churches stood here in the past including Norman, medieval and Georgian buildings. At one of the churches the parents of Samuel Pepys were married. Clock tower given by R.S.Faulconer. Managed by Newington Burial Board
The Drapers livery company created Walters' Almshouses on a site now at the southern intersection island in 1640, giving the tower block opposite its name 'Draper House'. The almshouses were relocated to Brandon Street in the 1960s as part of the major redevelopments here.
Monkton Street.
Gone, Line of Gilbert Road
Booth: Mechanics, postmen, meat salesmen.
Oakden Street
Booth: like Monkton Street
Opal Street.
1950 Lambeth tower blocks. . Densely packed group mixed heightsup to nine storeys, enlivened only by some Festival-style tiledbalconies and brickwork
Radcot Street
Booth: 2-storey and 5-storey. All the same, dull and depressing, fair backs. Mechanic compositors, no poor. Rent 20/- a week
Ravensdon Street,
Booth: 2-storey and 5-storey. All the same, dull and depressing, fair backs. Mechanic compositors, no poor. Rent 20/- a week
Regency Place
Gone – part of a maze of streets south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
Booth: Regency Square out of its East side. Poor, quiet. 2-storey. Labourers. At the South East end is Diamond Place. 2-storey houses on south side only
Renfrew Road.
42 Court Tavern
Lambeth Hospital polychrome brick gate piersand lodges t
Magistrates' Court 1869 by T. C. Sorby, brickand stone, Tudor Gothic (court room with open timber roof),
Fire Station, 1868, enlarged 1896 by a tallasymmetrical building with Jacobean gable. By the L.C.C. FireBrigade Department under Robert Pearsall. The earlier partplainer, with slightly Gothic window details.
Orient Street
Oswin Street
Was Temple Street.
Penrose Street
Walworth main works original L.C.C Tram Depot 1891
Reedworth Street
Renfrew Road
Former fire station, c.1910 – note look-out tower above.
Magistrates' Gourt of. 1869 - a sharp contrast with the County Court
Lambeth Hospital, A large rambling site, closed as a hospital in 1977 Built 1872
St.Anne's Place
1‑17.
Stables Way
Site of Kennington Palace stables.
Houses, maisonettes, and studios (1967), in yellow brick, blending well with the older cottages.
Stannary Street
37 Alderman. Pub with haunted cellars
Sullivan Road
St .Mary's Square
Tyer Street
Flats
Walcot Square
1837/9.
198 actress Sarah Poole
Walcot Stores Features in films 'The Krays’.
Walnut Tree Walk
Some good late-18th-century houses
Roots and Shoots, wildlife garden with large summer meadow, beehives, observation beehive, old roses, echiunis, 2 large ponds. Wildlife displays, nest box cameras, activities for children and adults. Hot borders, Mediterranean mound. Run by innovative charity providing training, garden advice and plant sates. Fine walnut tree and Acacia dealbata.
White Hart Square.
Gone – was south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
White Hart Street.
Gone – was south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
Wincott Street
Shelley School, matches mood of Knights Walk
Windmill Row
↧