this post has not been edited or checked
Ballance Road.
Stone poem in a paving stone.
Berger Works
Berkshire Road
s.
Gainsborough Board School. 1897. A grand turreted three-decker with shaped gables, overlooking the bleak wastes of Hackney Wick. As elsewhere in London, the type developed from the 1870s, to the full-blown formal three-decker compositions of T.J. Bailey of the 1890s and beyond.
Vent stack on the line of the Hackney Brooke pale-blue Victorian vent stack with inscription: - Fred'k Bird Engineers Gt. Castle St. Regent S T. -W London
Bower Road
Impermeable Collar and Cuff Co.
Burdett Road
Built by the Office of Works opened in 25.5.62 from Limehouse.
Lodge by Regents Canal. Architect Pennethorne.
Cadogan Close
This was once the western end of Wallis Roadand led under the railway line.
Cadogan Terrace.
Fine row of smart terraced houses. Developed in the 1860s to take advantage of the park-side setting, is shabby genteel, in brick trimmed with stucco and by various hands, so without any sense of uniformity but with common motifs of heavy porches on Doric columns. Only a few strike out more ambitiously.
The Morpeth Castle, a former Truman's pub, 1926 by A.E. Sewell, in an appropriate but unorthodox crenellated style with a canted ground floor and Neo-Tudor windows with rounded heads. Hoodmoulds to the upper-floor windows with small masks.
Post and Telegraph office. well-preserved shop front
Top of the Morning pub. Used to be called the Mitford Castle.Plaque to Thomas Briggs of Clapton first person murdered on a train on the North London Railway. . On 9th July 1864, while travelling on the North London Railway, he was viciously assaulted by one Franz Muller, who intended to steal his gold watch, and when found on the tracks in a critical condition he was carried to this pub. He died later the same day
400 The Women's Hall. site only. a large house which once housed a private school and stood adjacent to the Lord Morpeth pub. On 5 May 1914 Sylvia raised the flag of the East London Federation of the Suffragettes, with the help of the Lansbury family and an enthusiastic band of supporters. She lived here with Norah Smyth for 10 years. The premises housed a women's hall and a cost-price restaurant was opened in August 1915. The house later served as the People's Russian Information Bureau, and regular weekly meetings were held in the hall until 1924, which were advertised in the Workers' Dreadnought.
The path by the side of the pub was once Ford Road, joining the Roman Road to Old Ford Road.
Cadogan Place
A short street which slopes upwards to Victoria Park
Cassland Road.
20-54 Hackney Terrace. Symmetrical composition of houses with Coade stone 1792
Grander terrace of the borough. 1792 originally called Cassland terrace
Clarke says goes alongside Silk Mill Cottages. Area called Botany Bay because so many of its inhabitants had aspirations to go there. Laid out by the Sir John Cass Estate. Cass’s father was a carpenter in the area. Cass made a lot of money and became Lord Mayor and that. Cass always lived there with his father and made a lot of money.
Cassland/Harrowgate yard. In the 1920s house used by private bus companies. Park of a cowkeeper.
Cassland Road Board School. 1901
Church Crescent
South Hackney Church built 1896 as St.John of Jerusalem. Chapel. Rebuilt 1845 as present church, lots of problems with the steeple.
Mongers’ Almshouses. Ok to have wives with them but if man dies wife must move out. Therefore, other almshouse built.
Duckett’s Cut. Or Hertford Union Canal
This long straight waterway was opened in 1830 by Sir George Duckett to provide a direct link between the Lee and the Regents Canal. Also known as Duckett's Cut, it runs along the south edge of Victoria Park, an area of open space laid out in the 1840's by James Pennethome. Duckett was also responsible for the River Stort Navigation, although he was known as plain George Jackson when he worked on that back in 1766!
Eastway
Eton House, 1897 a group of architectural significance
Mission Hall
Baths 1934-5, with a neat symmetrical front in artificial stone, included slipper baths and the novelty of a 'mechanical laundry'; the intended swimming baths were not built. Converted to studios by Hook Whitehead Stanway, 1994.
St.Mary of Eton. Impressive Mission building in a picturesque courtyard. Built By Bodley & Garner in Red brick with Bath stone dressings for the mission founded in 1880 by Eton College to help poverty in the area.. The side facing the street has a grouped display of steep gables. two bays were added by Cecil Hare in 1911-12. The interior is also impressive. Reredos by W. Ellery Anderson. On the piers is a memorial inscription by Eric Gill, 1936. battlemented parapet with flamboyant tracery and gargoyles.
Victoria Pub site of Wick Hall Rope walk at right angles to the road and footpath back to Homerton across the hilly fields
Sutor shellac bleaching works
Hackney Wick Baths. 1934. Artificial stone front and a mechanical laundry. Out of use. Studio use.
Elsa Street
Opening of Durning Hall under the Aston Charities Trust 1884
Felstead Road
Ingram’s Rubber wipers. Ingrams, with their origins in toy balloons, was established in 1847, and moved to Felstead Road in the early 1880's. It specialised in surgical rubber goods, and made the World's first seamless enema.
Hackney
Alfred Poliakoff employed 800 1928 seen as a good employer. Manufactured clothing, TU went to Treorchy 1935
Hackney Wick
Hamlet on the fringe of Hackney Marshes. The c20 housingsurrounded by desolate industrial areas, and isolated from Hackney by road and railway.
Furniture firm. Factory at Hackney Wick sent armchairs and settees all over the country by ‘C’ licence lorry. Trade from other canal wharves for timber spring etc from area. Depended on labour for North East London and
Less from around.
Hassett Road.
Convent of the Sacred Heart. Old house nucleus.
Dage’s Punt factory. Old house in the centre. Stands in Shepherds Lane.
In the 19thBerger warehouse with l805 clock
Old Ford Station. London North Western Railway depots.
Kenworthy Road
site of the former Hackney Wick goods and coal depot. This was opened by the Great Northern Railway on 25th March 1877, and closed on 6th November 1967. Until the mid-1980s, a large, dark blue Eastern Region nameboard remained in-situ above its former entrance.
Convent of the Sacred Heart. Began as a country house
Immaculate Heart of Mary. 1875. RC rebuilt 1955. By C.A. Buckler. Completed 1883. Apsed basilica with campanile inspired by the Roman churches of SS Nereo e Achilleo and Sta Maria in Dominica. Gutted in 1941; rebuilt by John E. Sterret, 1955-7
First house in the area dates from 1720. Near Wick Lane was a house to be Hilly Field near school and railway. On the right of this was Wick House and a school going down to the silk mill on Hackney Brook. A mill down on the mill. Silk Mill Row is the cottages also where Col. Mark Beaufoy lived there - vinegar family ancestor. He had a four handed clock and worked out how far a ship had sailed. White House Pub in 1890 had a museum of rare marsh birds. Thyssen library had anglers’ cards in 1890. Dick Turpin again. Hackney Brook through its grounds
Hilly Field board school and railway sidings and coal yard on Gainsborough Road was previously big house and fields leading down to the silk mill. Steam engines in the silk mills. When silk ended was a horse hair and flock mill
White Lion Hackney Brook through its grounds
Trowbridge Estate
Motorway Bridge
A monstrous footbridge acrossan incredibly busy multi-carriageway racetrack latterly the A12 East Cross Route. A splendid view is obtained in both directions. Looking north to the former junction with the GERStratford line, the formation can be seenin two sections, rudely interrupted by themodern road system, tearing through theremains as completely as a knife through butter. The derelict bridge supports give the gameaway, and, in the far distance, the base of the1961 replacement signal box can just be seen.Swivelling round to face Old Ford, a lengthystretch of grassy embankment forms a divisionbetween the Victorian terraced houses ofCadogan Terrace and the dual carriagewaydown below.
Railway Bridge long-span steel box-girder rail bridge of seven spans on a considerable skew. By Rendel, Palmer & Tritton, 1970-7.
Trowbridge Estate
GLC’s unhappy estate built 1967-70, which became famous for the bungled demolition of the first of its seven system-builttwenty-one-storey towers. Remodelled as 'Wick Village' by Levi. Bernstein Associates. The estate's traditionally built brick low-risehousing remains. Has now become St.Mary’s Village.
Victoria Park Road.
Clarke says goes from White Lion and skirts the park to the French Hospital, says Park Commissioners bought up old houses for parks staff to the south of the road.
145 junction with Handley Road site of Norris Almshouses. 1660s. Demolished 1968
Library. Parkside within a housing development by Gibberd, 1964.
Wallis Road
Hackney Wick Station 1985 Between Stratford and Homerton on the Silverlink North London Line
Wick Lane
Brook on north side. Silk mills at the end cottages for workers
White Lion. Very old pub site. The Railway embankment runs over what were pleasure grounds. Notable 1930s architecture. The name is a reference to the badge of Edward IV
Railway station was next door to the pub. Railway line on brick arches across the road and across arches. This is line now gone.
Clarke says it is modern and marks line of Hackney Brook from the Wick to Berger’s Factory.
Crossing over Hertford Cut. Fairly grand. North east bank in the pub yard.
Wick Lane Water Depot plus water works house. Pumping station it says
Berger Works
Near Wick Lane some older railwaybridge abutments can be seen, where the newroad system now parallels where the track bedonce was.
Victoria Park Station 14thJune 1856. North London Railway. on the north side of Wick Road, and it was specially brought into use on 29th May in connection with celebrations to commemorate the end of the Crimean War. It was initially shown in timetables as 'Victoria Park, Hackney Wick', but the suffix was dropped after 1859. It had two short platforms, without any shelter, but waiting rooms and awnings were added later. It was superseded by a larger station, sited further east. The former booking office survived until 1958, having been converted into a pair of houses, 339 and 339A Wick RoadVictoria Park and Bow Station 2nd April 1849. Built by the London and Blackwall Railway and Eastern Counties Railway. At Bow Junction. Closed 1851 Victoria Park 1856 14th June
North London Railway. On the north side of Wick Road. Private house until the 1950s
1866 resited. On the north east side of Cadogan Terrace opposite the park entrance. . Imposing North
1942 Stratford service ended
1943 Closed.
1970The main building disappeared without trace. To enable the A102M road to be constructed underneath the branch, the remains of Victoria Park station were demolished and a new steel viaduct erected to take the tracks.