Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Plaistow

$
0
0

 this post has not been edited or checked


Burnt Ash Road

116 Lord Northbrook

Burnt Ash Lane

St.Andrew's. really very poor. Site of Sundridge Hall farm, 1929

243 Teasel .demolished

College Road:

site of Springhill farm

Corner with London Lane 1929 old cottage

Primary school old 1855 National School ext. 1871 old country school

Crescent Road

6 Kropotkin house called Voda after escape signal from Peter Paul Fortress

Edward Road

18 by Newton, 1907, was a  mirror-image of the last before recent gross disfigurement.

Lodge Road

Silverwood by R. A. Barber, 1958, first two progressive house of  the 1950s, attributed to Newton.

Brooklyn. 1957 by Ivor Beresford, like Silverwood with vertical cedar boarding and much glass. Sometimes called ‘the perfect house.’

Stillness, 1934 by  Gilbert Booth of the International Style of the 1930s, evidence, if any is needed, that any  style at all can be handled well or badly, lightly or heavily. The  candidate for the derogatory epithets .

By The  Links, Better by far by Godfrey Samuel, 1934-5. The entrance side the  favourite Corbusian combination of a long horizontal slit win-  dow over a recessed ground storey carried on pilotis; the  garden side generously glazed and quite without mannerisms  of any sort. 

Garden Road

10 is by Niven Wigglesworth,  1899

23 by Newton, 1904.

V2  45 shops & houses in Sundridge Park damaged, also Sundridge Park Hotel & Sundridge Park golf clubhouse. 1 killed, 6 injured. (5.25am)

 Shops for Garden Estate

King's Meadow pleasure ground

Lawn Close:

Was a croquet lawn

Path beside the tennis courts to humpback bridge; old right of way

Lytchett Road

Plaistow Hall was at the end of it

Milk Street

Halls Farm. Big house 1929 old farmhouse

Minster Road

Hollow Bottom Cottage plus fire mark

Nichol Lane

Prince Frederick was Prince Frederick’s Head. Ale house from 1761 rebuilt 1890. only pub named for Poor Fred. Built on the site of the former Nichol Brewery.

27

Hollow Bottom

London Lane

Quernmore Secondary School It comes as a shock to find that  the school is in reality a splendid late c18 house in excellent  condition, with no utilitarian additions obtruding on the entrance side..was Plaistow Lodge widened building. Statues and Coade stone figures, ok. Amazing will, the intricacies of whose  will caused so much litigation that an Act had to be passed to  prevent anyone else from making another like it.  fabulously wealthy Peter Thullusson - later banker to the French Revolution. In 1900 hole in the road was found with a lot of good wine and a lacy coat. The house was built as Plaistow Lodge. He bought  the estate in 1777. His architect is not known but the style of  the house points to Thomas Leverton Yellow stock-brick  Two-storeyed wings,  curving forward slightly, link the main block to pedimented  pavilions, which each have just one very large Venetian window. Statues in niches and Coade  stone panels. Early c19 stone  porch with Greek Doric columns and entablature.

Lodge still there

Plaistow Lane

The Gables, tile hung gables

Springhill, corner with Cambridge Road, Plaistow Hall, 1896 bought by KCC as a school of domestic economy Site of Sundridge farm, 1929 Sun Fire plaque

Bromley Bowling Club since 1888, was Lady Scott's Infant School

46 Crown

Plaistow Cemetery:

1829 lodge over the drive. Gothic Lodge for the narrow entrance, wall height. Local, conservative tombs

Plaistow Grove

61-67 rat trap bond brickwork

Railway workers cottages

43;

43a;

43b 1896;

St. Mary's Church Institute

Plaistow Green made out of grounds of Springhill but ancient site

St.Mary Plaistow, 1853/4. The view from the road is as confusing as the history. Organ, reredos. The whole thing amateurishly executed, but rich ensemble. Aisles never achieved, nor the tower.

Sundridge Park Station.1878. Between Grove Park and Bromley North on South Eastern Trains. Built by Bromley Direct Railway/South Eastern Railway as a halt - a private station for Sir Edward Scott, owner of Sundridge Park with ‘every show of reluctance'. It was a halt with northbound with weather boarded shelters, and later, in 1896, brick waiting room & a urinal. There was a footbridge & the usual South Eastern Railway buildings..Opened as Plaistow or "Mr. Scott's Station" and in 1891 it was renamed ‘Sundridge Park’. The original typical clapboard building survives.

Cab road- short and cobbled.

Railway Line

Bromley Direct Railway left Grove Park in 1878 and curved south on an embankment for a mile.



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles