this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Bonneville Gardens
Bonneville School LSB 1905.
Clapham Common South Side
Back along South Side there are lesser Georgian houses of different dates. once had a succession of large Georgian mansions, but little remains.
Henry Thornton school ,1965-9 by Farmer & Dark. The dominant motif, deliberately different from the usual run of school buildings of the 1960s, is the rapid rhythm of the narrow arched window panels in a concrete frame. Contrasting red brick staircase towers. The building has not worn well.
Notre Dame Estate, depressing L.C.C. blocks of pre-war type, built after 1945 on the site of two houses which had belonged to the Thorntons and later became a convent.
44 a small villa of c. 1820, set back.
53 once a fine three-bay house of c. 1780. Good Venetian window behind a garage.
Wlndmill Inn of c. 1790 forms part of a little enclave on the common.
78, dated 1888, is well endowed with gables, in the tile-hung Norman Shaw manner.
14 Alexandra Hostel. 1866, with large slate-covered domed roof with crest- ing, and polychrome brick detail
third milestone; 1745.
Milepost
Montrose Court Hotel
Clapham Park
1825 Thomas Cubit. Not completed until 1850s because of financial and property slide. laid out with large detached mansions in their own grounds by Thomas Cubitt, the great builder. He bought the estate in 1825, but it was not fully built up until the 1850s-60s. It was one of the most fashionable areas in South London in the mid c19. The main roads are Poynders Road-Atkins Road, crossed by Clarence Avenue and Kings Avenue. Cubitt's own house was in Clarence Avenue. This and most of the other houses have gone.
Southern Motor Co.
Clarence Avenue
Cubit himself lived here – house demolished
After 1965 redevelopment by Lambeth Council, in a different mode three of Lambeth's earliest tower blocks, polygonal with projecting bay-windows, 1966-7.
group of 'quad' houses four back-to-back houses in a cluster, an experimental type of the 1970s;
Clifton an old people's home, low patio houses and flats behind, with a doctor's surgery, a pleasantly varied group completed in 1970 which makes use of a tiny Cubitt remnant perhaps a gardener's cottage as a warden's house
Glenbrook Primary 1949/54 post-war schools is one of the standardized industrial buildings put up by ILEA. immediately after the Second World War, an attractive example which has worn well: 1949-54, job architect L. Pemberton.
Clapham Park School for the partially sighted presents a more homely image created by a well grouped cluster of dark brick pavilions, with pyramid-roofed centre: 1967-9, Job architect Peter Banting
Clapham Library 1887 site completed and opened 1889 by Lubbock.
Lessar Avenue
modest flats by W. H. Beesley, early post-war housing for Wandsworth Council.
Maple Close
1 'dell' garden inspired by Arthur Rackham.
Narbonne Avenue
Holy Spirit
73 South Side. old games room of Eagle House.
Park Hill
Some lesser survivors of the Cubitt estate
St.James. Interesting church 1857 Impression of old Gothic vault. glass. by N. F. Cachemaille Day, replacing a proprietary chapel of 1829 by Vulliamy, enlarged 1870-1 by F. J.& H. Francis and destroyed in the Second World War. The c20 building is of plain yellow brick
72 Former residence surrounded by garages and workshops in late 1920's . In 1946 - 59, the chassis of some 2000 custom-built Allard sports cars were assembled here. The firm eventually closed in 1977.
11 Modest little factory, at the rear, spoilt by additions. 1911 for the Direct Supply Aerated Water Co., who had fizzed off by the early 1920's.
St.Michaels ConventPark Hill despite the additions ofthe convent - chiefly the plain classical chapel of 1939, this is thebest older house left in Streatham. It is a late example ofstuccoed neo-classical villa with a two-storey bow-window standing on top of a hill in its own grounds. It was built for William Leaf, a London draper. Both house andgrounds were ornamented by J. B. Papworth c. 1830-41. The portecochere on the entrance front was added in 1880 by the laterowner. Sir Henry Tate, but the main part of the househardly altered.Beyond were Papworth’s lavish conservatories, aviary, andbilliard room. The huge glass roofs replacedby upper floors. At the end of the terrace a plain summer house. The terrace overlooks the pleasant groundsloping down to a small lake with a grotto beyond. summer house of rustic branches, and a Gothic ruin,;octagonal tower built no doubt as a viewpoint: all the ingriedients of c18 picturesque reduced to a suburban scale.
Maternity Home 1920 memorial to first world war
Poynders Road
Part of original Cubit development
Oaklands estate 1936 London County Council flats
Rodenhurst Road
13 Home of the Rt. Hon. Arthur Henderson, pioneer Labour politician, Home and Foreign Secretary, a local preacher and National President of the Brotherhood Movement. Plaque erected 1980.
Worsopp Drive
The Clapham Orangery. Listed Grade II. Orangery of 1793 in Palladian style, now in the middle of a housing estate. designed by Dr William Burgh of York in 1793, once a handsome building with Ionic columns, Coade stone capitals, and pediment.