Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Upper Holloway

$
0
0

     This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked


Alexander Road 


Allerton Walk

Andover Estate

Greater LondonCouncil 1972. Towering groups of ten storey ziggurats.

Axminster Road

DevonshireCastle

Bavaria Road

37 Studio 3, refurbishment of a former Methodist Chapel into a home with a suspended timber mezzanine. West architecture 2006

Replica House, Italianate. Was the Congregational Mission Halls by HLander & Bedells, 1883

Blenheim Road Chapel

Denmark Terrace 

Berkeley Walk

Berriman Road

Besant Walk

Birnam Road

Bolton Walk

Bracey Street

27 Little Brothers of Jesus

Camden Road

Was previously called Maiden Lane.  Turnpike Route from CamdenTownto Tottenham from the 1820s. Built up along the Islington section fromthe 1850s with very large paired houses, especiallyelaborate

Jewish Free School Comprehensive.  1956. The successor to the Jewish Free School, which was in Bell Lane, Spitalfields, from 1817. Extensive buildings by Sidney Kaye, Firmin & Partners, 1956-72, for 1,400 pupils. 

Bracewood Arms, 1840.  Fashionable for dubious delights, balloon ascents, duels

CamdenSchool for Girls.  Founded in 1877 in Prince of Wales Road; established here in the buildings of its sister school, the North London Collegiate, which had moved to Stanmore. Stillman & Eastwick-Field's plain well-proportioned four-storey wing with hall and classrooms, of 1965-7, is sandwiched between the remains of a furniture store converted and extended by E. C. Robins in 1879 and a large addition of 1908 by J. T. Lee. ‘Youth’, a bust by Epstein, 1955; ‘Orpheus’, a seated figure from the Festival of Britain, 1951. Stained glass from Prince of Wales Road, displayed in a corridor. By Henry Holiday. St Catherine, St Ursula and the Queen of Sheba, 1909-10; female figures representing Truth, Righteousness, Faith and Hope, 1921-3. In the library, memorial window to the foundress, Frances Mary Buss, 1927 by A. K. Nicholson.

Athenaeum Literary and Scientific Institution on Parkhurst Road corner.  Used as a banqueting hall and studio until replaced by a petrol station.

Floor cloth factory as a country retreat

Alfred Place

CamdenRoadBaptistChurch. 1853.  Converted to a hostel.

Hall 1858

Castle View House

John Barnes Library 

Keighley Close

Saxonbury Court

Staveley Close

Camden Road Baptist Chapel, 1853-4 by C. G. Searle. Perpendicular of the usual early c19 type, the model of collegiate chapels.  . Converted to a hostel

Hall of 1858

Was called Head Lane.  Built in the nineteenth century to connect Camdenand Islington

John Barnes Library. Tucked behind an embankment. c. 1974 by Andrews, Sherlock & Partners with A. Head, Borough Architect. The ground floor, with junior library, with the entrance for adults at the jettied first-floor level. 

Corker Walk

Cornwallis Square

Cornwallis Road

City of London Union Workhouse, new ideas in poor relief, bought 1883 by Islington Guardians, since 22 GPO telecommunications workshops and GPO postal order office

Durham Road

Maisonettes. Earlier Islington BoroughCouncil duller system-built 1960s

Durham Cottages 

St.Anne's Home for the Retired

St.Anne, gone

Eburne Road

Grafton Mixed JuniorSchool. Community Centre in the school the hall is the Eco Tunnel. Pavilion like school hall with a folded form clad in black rubber. All sorts of sustainable features. Charles Barclay Architects 2007

Grafton Mission Hall, closed

Falconer Walk

Great Northern Railway site

1885 St.Mary Islington Depot washing for street refuse and sand. Three wash mills and engine.

Hanmer Walk

Hatley Road

Hercules Place

Hercules Place West

Manor house of the area.

Hercules Street

Highwood Road

Thane Villas

Thane Mansions 

Walton House 

Holloway

‘Le Holeweye in Iseldon’ 1307, ‘Holway’ 1473, ‘Holowey’ 1543, ‘Hollowaye’ 1554, that is 'the hollow road, the road in a hollow', from Old English ‘hol’ and ‘wey’. The road referred to, a section of the Great North Roadcrossing relatively low-lying land between Highgate and Islington, is still called Holloway Road. The hamlets of Lower & Upper Holloway on its route, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, are distinguished by the 16th century; they are recorded as ‘Holway the lower’ and ‘Holway the upper’ on Norden's map of 1593.

Holloway, which forms the northern section of the borough of Islington, originally consisted of hamlets known as Ring Cross and Upper and Lower Holloway, called after the road - the hollow way.  These consisted of buildings along the road and replaced the earlier manorial name of Tollington. The construction of Archway Roadchanged the area and by the mid c19 the road had become a major shopping centre with theatres and department stores.  In the c20 the overcrowded c19streets were replaced by public housing, at first bigblocks of flats, then by large new estates in the 1960s and1970s.

Upper Hollowayhas a number of small parks, standing back from the road covering the area between Holloway Road, Caledonian Road and the North-Eastern Region Railway. Development in the upper part of the Holloway Road, and the countryside around was sporadic through the late c19, with scattered villas and terraces between undeveloped land.  By 1900 terraces covered the gardens of these villas as far as the Highgate slopes where Holborn and Islington used cheap land for their workhouses and infirmaries. 

Holloway Road

443-445 Holloway House is the former Holloway Hall, now National Youth Theatre c19 by George Truefitt the surveyor to the Tufnell Park Estate.  Casualty of this in 1967 was the huge ensemble of Whittington Almshouses,H S Smith, and Surveyor to the Mercers' Company.  Organ and statue of RichardHolton by Joseph Carew moved to new almshouses at Felbridge.Was also the People’s PicturePalace.

445 Upper Holloway Baptist Church

459-462 Bathurst Mansions dated 1891, with excellent Francois I decoration, originally one of two distinctive buildings that marked the entrance to Seven Sisters Road.  Distinctive buildings to mark the entrance to Seven Sisters Road.

471 Half Moon, old coaching inn. Changed to B.Burke and Sons. c.1860.

533 Nid Ting

544-554 Albemarle Mansions, it screens flats and shops, see the windows juggled to fit the staircases.

556 North Star House, ILEA Careers Office, site of Holloway Empire,

557-561 North IslingtonDispensary

622 Crown, Cromwell visited

623-629 St John'sGymnasium. Then became toy manufacture Jones & Co. owned by Lewis and largest in North London.  Closed Moreland doors

647-663 Northampton Place

656 Aviation Bookshop

665 Mother Redcap

688-706 MarlboroughTerrace

710 Marlborough

Barnes was site of Elizabethan 'archery house'

Blenheim Court

Burtons. Terracotta, black, and white vitrolite, emerald, pearl granite and of course Empire Stone. This is an architectural pre-cost concrete made by Empire Stone Ltd, a firm founded at the beginning of the century

Castle 

Harper's of Holloway, stationers and diary makers

Holloway Arcade 

How House was a girls school

Lord Nelson 

Mothers' Clinic for Constructive Birth Control

Nag’s Head Shopping Arcade.  Small, opened in 1992 and includes a Safeways, since changed to Morrisons.

Nag’s Head Tavern, famous traffic centre. The pub has been at this junction for 200 years.  The Name was changed to O’Neill and since closed. Stucco-trimmed Italianate.  Now closed but marked the focus of what was the shopping centre.  It was the northern most edge of Islington and the end of the tram routes in 1891.

National Schools gabled Tudor over the porch restored with crocketed spire added in the same style. Interior remodelled c. 1965 leaf capitals, partitioned off arcades with stiff- nave. Chancel

Northern Polytechnic, 1896, Great Hall now the theatre.  Opened by Lord Mayor 1897.  1948 became College of Rubber Technology, which moved to Benwell Road.  1966 tower block and mural

Odeon, built as Gaumont 1938.  One of north London’s most lavish cinemas. Designed for Bernstein Theatres but built for Gaumont British by W.E. Trent. Impressive. Vies with the Victorian shops opposite.  Classical cream faience exterior with:angled comer block crowned by a tall set-back attic.  Giant columns to the windows of the grand three-storey foyer, aclassical inside.  Originally with a mezzanine cafe boxed in by screen in 1973, which opened on to the raised terrace overlookHolloway Road. As an eight-screen Odeon, it is not only one of the rare survivors from the Thirties but it has been thoroughly and convincingly updated to multiplex level. It still is one of the most commanding cinema exteriors in the country, helped by its location on a very wide and straight section of the road   opened in 1938, it was one of the unluckier British cinemas during World War Two. Its exterior and entrance spaces survived German bombs but the auditorium was severely damaged, forcing the cinema's closure in August 1944, and its original design was never reinstated. Instead, a much reduced, modern auditorium appeared in 1958 - and has since disappeared in the conversion to smaller auditoria which has also encroached on the former restaurant area over the entrance. The cinema was designed by a leading American architect, C. Howard Crane, initially for Granadaand then for Hyams and Gale, who passed it over to Gaumont. It was conceived as a sister theatre to Hyams and Gale's Gaumont State Kilburn and the Hyams brothers demanded a similar interior in classical style - one that was really old-fashioned in its stalls side wall panels of landscapes and in its splay wall decoration.

Old King’s Headjolly mid 19th pub

Prince of Wales

RoyalNorthernHospitalfounded 1856 as the Great Northern with own money by a young surgeon called Stewart Shelton at 11 York Road, YorkWay.  He died in 1852.  The hospital moved because of the railway and in 1888 built a hospital in Holloway Road.  1926 wireless in the wards. Called the Royal Northern from 1921.  . Extensions included a circular ward block of 1895.  Demolition of rear areas 1997.

Safeway supermarket opened at Nag’s Head and then bought out by Morrisons.

Sainsbury's built on the site of a line of Victorian shops including Beale's Restaurant, which was there until 1952. Beale’s marked the entrance to Seven Sisters Road; it was a tall, rather Continental-lookingspecimen of the Gothic Revival by F. Wallen, 1889. Sainsbury later sold to KwikSave who in turn sold to Argos.

St. Mary Magdalene's Cottage

St.John’s church. CommissionersChurch 1826 as ParishChurchfor Upper Holloway. 

St.John’s Schools. ‘Gratuitously designed’. Church schools by Barry, 1830-1; extended 1858,1867.

Victoria

Wace Cottage became Friends Meeting House

Holloway Street

Hornsey Road 

Emmanuel Church. 1884 only the aisle remains. .

Stuccoed terrace and pub remain

147 Vicarage of Emmanuel Church. 

Elizabeth Duke's waterproof manufactory

Sobell Centre 1973 by W.D. Lami &. R. Seifert &'Partners. Of ribbed concrete, the ribs angled to for a sunburst around the broad glazed entrance arch. On a curved plan but with rectangular sports spaces and ice rink inside.

Tollington Arms, HQ of London ex-boxers Assoc.

Infant Poor Establishment

Hornsey Road Station, 1868

Hornsey Road Station, Midland Railway, 1872c, 1943

MontemSchool. BoardSchool 1897, remodelled 1968. . Boldly Baroque, remodelled inside 1968-71; low extension across the road with nice U-shaped railings.

Hornsey Road Sixth Form Centre. Formerly HornseyRoadUpperSchool, 1897, Shackell & Edwards, printing ink

354 Ploughstuccoed arch to former Plough Stables,

427-429 back on to Marlborough Roadfactory, once a decent pair of mid-c19 villas

471 Station Parade 

Hornsey Road Baths. 1892-5 by A. Hessell Tiltman. slip baths screening a yard with a lower washhouse wing. Good brick, carved stone and lettering across the main oriel. On the elevation, a diving lady in neon, probably the only survivor of series of illuminated signs put on Londonswimming pools and lidos in the 1930s. Building restored after bombing and rebuilt 1964.

Ingleby Road 

Kingsdown Road

St.Paul's Church

Larchmore Court 

St.Paul's Court 

Kinloch Street

Tollington Place.  Had been a moated timber house there.  The Manor extended from Islington Green to the City Road- 987 acres called Tollandue until nineteenth century.  'Lower Place' with moat became Devil’s House pub

Drummer Lodge 

Landseer Road

Lazar Walk

Lennox Road 

ElimPentecostalChurch

PooleParkPrimary School

Elim House

Haden Court 

Millfield 

ManorGardens 

Beaux-ArtsBuildingbuilt as the Money Order Office.  Overpowering all. GPO post office training centre from 1912 vast by F.A. Llewellyn, of c.1932, convened into flats 1995-7. 

6-9 two pairs of plain classical villas (Nos. 6-9) form the wings of the health centre.

ManorGardens Health and Community Centre. Originally the North Islington Welfare Centre and school for mothers

North Branch Library.  Originally church reading room from local Unitarian church. Sweet. 1905. 1905-6 by Henry T. Hare. The original arrangement lecture room above children's library (front) and reading room above the lending library now open-plan.

St.David's Wing 

Marlborough Road

157-163 Belgravia Workshops. Converted reminder that until the 1970s this was anarea of small concerns.

165 adjoining factory

172 MarlboroughService Station.  Castellated roof and steep run down so that double deckers could get in.  Had been a bus garage since 1927, previously a Wheelwrights - Hammett's Ambassador Bus Co owned by them

Mayton Street 

Hood Court 

Mingard Road 

Mitford Road

Moray Grove

St.Mark’s church hall

Moray Road 

Pakeman Street 

Primary School 

Playford Road

Clifton Court 

Roden Street

Salterton Road 

St.Joseph and St. Padarn's RC Church. Built as St. Padarn’s WelshChurch 1873 by J Belcher. 

Salterton Music Centre

Selden Walk

Seven Sisters Road,

Built 1832, Obliterated Head Lane

Bowmans Mews– on the site of Bowman’s Lodge

Hackney Brook crossing it

Seven SistersSocialistChurch

The New Riverwas originally dug due west on the 100ft contour and swung

South near the junction of Holloway Road with Tufnell Park Road\Sussex Way

St. Mark's ChurchSchool

Chapel Way

Homestead

Landseer Court

Simmons House, St.Mark's Mission Hall

Nag’s Head street market.  Named after an Elizabethan archery house.  Where Edward Lear was born in 1812.

Sussex Close

Holloway Welsh Chapel. 1873. Thorpedale Road

Gainsborough House

TollingtonPark 

49 Tollington Park College

55 Convent of Notre Dame now RC school Christ the King

63 Seddon murders house is supposed to be haunted 

91 TollingtonPark People's Mission

110 North Islington Nursery School

Albert Goodman Memorial Hall

Hall 1972

MontemSchool 

Park Tavern

Salcott 

St. Mark with St.Anne, 1854 

St.Mark's Mansions

St.Mark's Schools

St.Mellitus. Was New Court Congregational church.  Art nouveau electroliers.   

Tollington Court

TollingtonPark Baptist Chapel. 1908, E. Douglas Hoyland. Porches demolished when the hall of 1972 by K. C. White Partners was added. 

TollingtonParkSchool

Tollington-IseldonSchool 

Zoar Hall

Tufnell Park Road,

Supposed to be a Roman road.  Tufnell family owned all the area and gave the building leases, local. Themain artery from Holloway Road to Tufnell Park Underground Station.

TufnellParkPrimary School

St.George. Built by the surveyor to the Tufnell Park estates.  1868 polygonal Byzantine.  In 1976 became St.George's Elizabethan Theatre.  For people who had left the Anglican Church for the Free Church of England. Apron stage in the chancel, some windows blocked. St George's Elizabethan Theatre celebrated its tenth anniversary in 1986. It specialises in performing the words of William''; Shakespeare in an authentic setting similar to the original Globe Theatre. The theatre links its performances to educational workshops, giving students and interested members of the public a fascinating insight into live theatre in general and Shakespeare in particular

Odeon Cinema site of Tufnell Manor road names are nearly all family names

162 TufnellPark Taver

Tollington Place

Turle Way 

GeorgeOrwellSchool

TollingtonPark Youth Centre 

Turleway Close 

Whewell Road

Windsor Road

Wray Crescent



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles