Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Ladbroke Grove

$
0
0

 This post is not finished and has not been checked or edited


Barlby Road

Previously Edinburgh Road. The site of demolished carriage sheds and sidings

Pall Mall Deposit. warehouses of 1911 by W. G. Hunt, , boldly advertised by large lettering in blue and white mosaic,

Clement Talbot works, the first purpose-built English car factory, 1903-11 by William T. Walker. This is also of reinforced concrete (Hennebique system), the office block disguised by a front; totalitarian one-storey works behind. Handsome entrance hall with relief decoration. 

Older industries and utilities that grew up beside canal and railway began to give way in the 1980s to a mixture of offices, workshops, and housing,

Sainsburys supermarket of 1989 by the canal.

Bassett Road 

Bombing. Busy stucco terraces,

Calderon Place 

Cambridge Gardens 

Bombing

Canal

Portobello Dockbuilt in 1890-1 as transfer station by Kensington Vestry, a picturesque evocative of the era of horse-drawn dustcarts. The carts ran onto a curved blue brick ramp to a deck above the canal dock tipping their contents either into barges below or into the low arched openings between dock and canal. Refuse Transfer Station by St. Mary Abbott’s vestry, which was the forerunner of Kensington Borough Council of 1896. Empty carts went out at the top exit of the site into Ladbroke Grove. The pub opposite was the manager's house. Originally St.Anne's Dock with rubbish for West Drayton

Port-a-Bella restaurant.

Boundary stone on the south-west comer.

Virgin, 1988-9 by Christopher Watts Associates

Crowthorne Way

Darfield Way

Exmoor Street

St.Charles Hospital. Built in 1870 by an institutional specialist, artist Saxon Snell. It has a Water tower, a Gothic chimney, and cast iron two storey porches between the ward blocks. It was transferred to London County Council from St.Marylebone Board of Guardians. 

Kelfield Gardens s

Counters Creek goes there and picks up two tributaries from Ladbrook Grove

Latimer Road

76-100 shoddy terrace

187-189 Harrow School mission 1884 and school 1887.  Norman Shaw church, clubhouse and vicarage Harrow Club.  Counters creek runs under it. This is a picturesque group which originated as a mission church, and the great window is now prominent from the raised slip road of the M40.  Mission room 1883-4 is the former Holy Trinity church with clergy house and clubroom. The church was converted to a youth club in 1967 by A.G. Savill.  

Little Wormwood Scrubs:

Counters Creek going across it

Marylebone Hospital

North Kensington

A poor district with cottage industries, called ‘Soapsud Island’ until the laundries moved to Acton. Workers form brick works at Notting Barns. This is the area where slum landlord Peter Rachman later flourished. Big mixed race area.

Royalty Cinema. Compton organ installed. (Kinestra.)

North Pole Road

St.Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs Station. 1stAugust 1871. Built by the West London Railway.   Sited on the east side of Scrubs Lane between North Pole Road and Delgrano Gardens with the entrance from North Pole Road. This was a modest structure,perched high on the embankment. Opened as ‘Wormwood Scrubs Station’.  In 1892 it was renamed ‘St.Quintin Park and Wormwood Scrubs’ and in 1893 closed and resited slightly further north on the east side of Scrubs Lane between North Pole Road and Dalgrano Road. In  1940 it was closed - yet another wartime casualty and  Being of wooden construction Hitler ensured few remains and it was destroyed by an incendiary bomb. In the 1960s there may have been some platform foundations still in the undergrowth

Oakworth Road

Kensington Memorial Recreation Ground

Oxford Gardens

Bombing. Good sequences. Leafy. by the St Quintin estate

uintin Avenue

Scrubs Lane

St.Quintin Park and Wormwood Scrubs Station 1871-1893. Sited on the east side of Scrubs Lane between North Pole Road and Delgrano Gardens with the entrance from North Pole Road. This was a modest structure, perched high on the embankment, and which closed in 1940 - yet another wartime casualty. Being of wooden construction. Hitler's fearsome weaponry ensured few remains, although there may have been some platform foundations sprouting from the undergrowth in the mid-1960s.

Silchester Road

Baths.  A fine complex, designed by Thomas Verity and built in 1882 to serve residents of North West Kensington. It contains several swimming pools, slipper baths, and a public laundry with washing stalls, roller-mounted drying horses and some early belt-driven washing machines. Below is a boiler room and above a flat for the Superintendent. The facilities were closed in 1974/5» and subsequently 'listed' by the DOE.

Silchester estate

Rebuilding began in the 1950s, on an unacceptably grandiose scale of post-war public housing, in the area around Silchester Road

St Helen's Gardens

St Helen

St Mark's Road

103-123 Pioneering housing association development. Jeremy Dixon. 

Sheltered housing for the elderly 1987-90 by Phippen, Randall Parkes for Servite Housing.

202 houses in modest cottage groups built for the borough in 1919-26 by A. S. Soutar.

St Quintin Avenue,

Name from St.Quintin family, lived locally, built up 1878

More modern type of house

57 40ft walled garden; wide selection of plant material. 

Scampton Mews

St Charles Square,

College of St.Charles

St Pius X

Kensington Borough Council flats and maisonettes with high rents

Treverton Street

Y-shaped towers of flats of the 1950s form obtrusive landmarks

Wallingford Avenue

Westway Flyover

Counters Creek under it

Opened to Gerrard's Cross 1943

Wood Lane Approach Road




Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles