Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Hammersmith

$
0
0

  This post is not finished and has not been checked or edited


Ansleigh Drive

Ansleigh Place

Workshop wings

Bramley Road:

Phoenix Brewery Tap. Ex brewery behind. Grim

Latimer Road 15th December1868. Between Ladbroke Grove and Shepherd’s Bush on Hammersmith and City Line. Hammersmith and City. Opened at the junction of the Hammersmith and City and West London Railway. The station at the end of the viaduct on a spur to Shepherd's Bush Line. Part of middle circle in 1880s run by the GEW. Spur to Kensington in 1864, which connected to the West London Trains south of the river and to Victoria.  Known locally as ‘piggery junction’.  Features in films 'Parting Shots’, ‘American Roulette’, ‘Otley’.

Edward Woods Estate

Freston Road

Planned GLC comprehensive rebuilding prevented by the setting up of the republic of Frestonia.  Was at one time known as Latimer Road. 

Bramley Arms. Outstanding Victorian pub. 1860s. 

Offices on the site of a junk yard. 

Bramley House Co-operative.

Small-scale rebuilding and rehabilitation of the 1980s, again by Pollard Thomas Edwards Associates.  

Bramley Arms. Victorian deftly turns the corner of Bramley Road with a curving balustrade with a proud array of urns.

People’s Hall cleaned-up red brick of 1901.

Railway Bridge. 

Hammersmith

Prehistoric settlement signs and also Roman occupation. Saxon village with a name which may refer to a local forge, first recorded in 1294.  Foreshore is gravel rather than marsh, to healthier.

North of Fulham large acres of brick earth mixture of clay and sand

Hammersmith Park

Laid out in 1952, opened 1955.

Holland Park Avenue

Uxbridge Road Station. 1st November 1869. Between Latimer Road and Kensington Olympia. Built by the West London Railway. It was sited on the north side of Holland Park Avenue east of Shepherd’s Bush Green. Named ‘Uxbridge Road for Shepherd’s Bush’. Had been proposed to call it ‘Shepherd’s Bush Green’.   Closed in 1940 and the site is now under the roundabout

Frog Island

North of Uxbridge Road site of Shepherd's Bush Station 1844 now under the roundabout

Latimer Road

Named after Edward Latymer who endowed Hammersmith’s Latymer School in the 17th. Running through land once owned by Latymer c.1600; he bequeathed the land to support a school he had established.           

Education Centre and Pupil Referral Unit was Latimer Road School. Three decker LSB school 1880.

St.Anne’s Nursery School – may be the oldest such school nationally.

Lancaster Road

Marble and Co. 1876;

Nottinghill Methodist Church

St Seva

Site of Kensington Public Baths. Features in films 'Leo the Last’.

Latimer Road

Bequest by Edward Latimer 1626 scholars at Latimer School

Macfarlane Road

Norland Road

Two- and three-storey housing for the Netting Hill Housing Trust by Pollard Thomas Edwards & Associates.  

Olaf Street

A tobacco warehouse of c. 1910, converted to studio and offices by Troughton McAslan, 1985, with a large glazed atrium inserted in the centre.

Barkers carriage works

Rail line northwards from Olympia

George Cohen 600 Group scrapyard

Connection to the Hammersmith & City line oncediverged towards Latimer Road. This wasoriginally used by cross-London servicesfrom the mid-1860s, and latterly, after 1910,by short workings from Edgware Road toAddison Road. These in turn ceased inOctober 1940, another victim of war damage,and were never restored. The rails, however,were not lifted until around 1956, althoughthe curving viaduct at the Latimer Road endstood for some years afterwards.

GWR route to Ealing Broadwayleft the West London line just after the H&C Lineviaduct ‘Viaduct Junction’.  It had originally been planned as the Ealing and Shepherd’s Bush Railway, which opened to freightin 1917, but there were no passengers until 1920, came in whenthe Central London Railway extended theirtube service to EalingBroadway. The lines paralleled the Underground to North Acton and then turned north to the Great Western main line. This connectionclosed completelyin the mid-1960s, but some is used by Central Linetrains.

Royal Crescent

Counters Creek under it

St Ann's Villas

Sirdar Road

St.Ann’s Villas.

Picturesque Leading from Royal - Crescent, began in 1842 with stucco terraces with whimsical attic balconies

17 Albert Chevalier 1861-1923.   Plaque says 'music hall comedian, was born here'. Chevalier who became one of Britain's greatest music hall artists was born here. He had a French father, who taught at the Kensington Grammar School, and a Welsh mother. 

Tadmore Street:

Testerton Road

Treadgold Street

St Clement

Uxbridge Road:

White City Railmen's Training Centre opened in 1963

Sage Cod Factory one of the entrances to White City

7 Shepherd's Bush Plaques to Keene and John

31 White Horse Pub with milestone

Uxbridge Road next to the station entrance to White City once. Bit of land which joined it up 1950. Taken over by the railway Central Line depot. 1908 marathon. Dog racing from 1926

BBC Television Centre on athletics ground. On a site covering twelve acres forming a part of the White City Estatethe British Broadcasting Corporation built new headquarters. Most ambitious and up to date in the world in 1950. Erected in two stages. One half of the site developed to expand the television service. The estimated cost of the completed buildings between £4,000,000 and £5,000,000. Designs drawn up by Mr. Graham Dawbarn. The London CountyCouncil sold the land for £100,000. 

Dimco MachineTools Listed Grade II. Electricity generating station built in 1898/91 London Railways. Earliest known example of Underground. Brick with gabled mid c20 roof.

Central Line Power House on site of house and called Woodhouse Park, generating house 200' by 86' and boiler house 150' by 87' running shed 360' and 160' wide and car repair and painting shed 360', loco repairs and wheel turning and loco running shed 140' long, generated electricity at 5,000V, closed in 1928 Central Line loop build from Shepherd's Bush to special station in Wood Lane for the Franco British Exhibition at White City in 1908 033

Wood Lane

B.B.C. Corporate Headquarters, on the site of the White City Stadium, the vast area of the move here determined after rejection of Foster's scheme for rebuilding on the Langham site in Portland Place by Scott, Brownrigg & Turner, 1989-90.  Later phases designed by Remon Howard Wood Levin 1989-90.  Faze two for News and Current Affairs, with a tower at the w corner. 

B.B.C. Television Centre built on part of the White City exhibition site.  An ambitious concept, the first purpose-built television studios in England, planned from 1950 by Norman & Dawbarn, continued into the 1960s following the same master plan.  A circle of offices around a courtyard, surrounded by a lower outer ring of projecting studios linked by a runway to a scenery store.  To the outsider it all looks a huge muddle, apart from the entrance, which has a little period Flavour, with a covered approach set against a plain brick wall studded with discs, typical patterning of the 1950s.  The ingenious concentric plan is only apparent from the inner court, unfortunately dominated by an obelisk with a silly gilded figure by Huxley- Jones.  Extensions completed 1989, by the B.B.C. Architectural and Civil Engineering Department.

Burlington Danes School. Ancient foundation from 1699 for the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge.  Moved here from Boyle Street and a building by Colen Campbell in 1929. This is by Burnet Tait and Lorne 1936. 

Dimco Machine Tools.  The one older building of interest near the end, 1898-9, a large single-storey shed with semicircular openings with small glass panes which began life as the first known electricity generating station built for the London under ground.  To be incorporated in a shopping scheme by Balfour Beattie

Greyhounds.

Kensington destructor 20 cell also manufactured blocks for parish etc., works joint of the Kensington Knightsbridge and Notting hill electricity joint companies

Tributary joined Counters Creek from Ladbroke Grove area. 

Victorian pillar box

White City Stadium.  

White City Station built 1947 for Central London Railway. Second electric underground railway to be built.  The original Central Line station near here was called Wood Lane, opened on 14th May 1908. This was closed when the present station at White City was opened on 23rd November 1947. In 1951 it won a Festival of Britain Architectural Award

White City Station. 3rd August 1920 Between East Acton and Shepherd’s Bush on the Central Line.  Built on the Great Western Railway’s Ealing and Shepherd’s Bush Railway and taken over 1920 by the Central London Railway which was extended here for the exhibition. The building was on Wood Lane and it was first called Wood Lane (Exhibition) to and then changed to Wood Lane (White City).  It was the terminus station for the original Central Line. In 1927 an electrical movable wooden platform installed which could be moved according to the points. In 1947 it was closed and resited but the old buildings remained.

White City.  First opened in May 1908 for the Franco-British Exhibition - huge exhibition where all the buildings were white. It was the largest and most magnificent exhibition ground in London; laid out on a very imposingscale. Exhibitions were held from May to October, but in 1914, it was taken over for Government service.  Later showman leased the site from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for Wild West shows. The 4th Olympics were held there in 1932. Afterwards, there were occasional indoor exhibitions confined to the long galleriesconnecting Uxbridge Road with Wood Lane.

Wood LaneWhite City Station.1st May 1908. Until 1959, the Hammersmith & City had a stationat White City, but this was little used, andclosed following fire damage Opened on the Hammersmith and City Railway as ‘Wood Lane Exhibition Station’ for the Franco British Exhibition. It was on the viaduct west side of Wood Lane and passengers went straight into the exhibition. It was in regular use until the exhibition ended. After that used now and then. In 1947 it was renamed ‘White City’. It was 1959 last used and then burnt down. Line from Ealing opened 1917. It had been intended to put a terminus at Shepherd's Bush but never built, milk trains from Ealing etc. closed 1964 . It was replaced by White City station on nearby site. You can see the platform from a westbound train just before you arrive at White City. Turn left outside White City and you will find the old station entrance

Wormwood Scrubs leased from 1812 by the Government to the army for training, entrance in White City over 20 years ago



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles