Quantcast
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Brondesbury

 This post is not finished has not been checked or edited

Albert Road

East end stream from Paddington Cemetery on its way to Kilburn, joins another stream from Willesden Lane

Brondesbury

‘Bronnesburie’ 1254, ‘Brondesbury’ 1291, ‘Brondesbiri’ 1328, ‘Brundesbury’ 1535, that is "manor of a man called Brand', from an Anglo-Scandinavian personal name and Middle English ‘bury’. The Brand in question may have been the canon of St Paul's of that name c. 1200. Also called ‘Brands Manor’.  Prebendial estate of the Dean and Chapter of St.Paul’s taken over by the Church Commissioners in the 19th.  Now classy residential district of Kilburn on the Hampstead-Harlesden ridge. 

Brondesbury Villa.  Stream from Paddington Cemetery on way to Kilburn in Kilburn Park Road crossed it

Manor House demolished 1934 after use as a girls’ boarding school.

Brondesbury Heights

Developed in the 1860s following the arrival of the railway. Sale for housing of Ecclesiastical Commissioner’s land.

Brondesbury Park

Not developed as a residential area until the early 20th century, is still marked as parkland on the Ordnance Survey map of 1904, and is earlier shown as ‘Brandsbury House’ and ‘Brandesbury Park’ on the maps of 1822 and 1876.  'Built as a spine road.   On some maps called ‘Brand’s Causway’ and later reverted to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.  This is a breezy upland area and the Commissoners built posh houses here and refused to allow any public housing.

Library.

Convent of the Annunciation opened by the Russian Orthodox church in 1960.

Brondesbury Road

Holy Trinity

Brondesbury Park Station. 1st June 1908. Between Brondesbury and Kensal Rise on the Silverlink North London Railway. London North East on NLR line between Hampstead and Willesden. Rebuilt by LNEW 1908 on NLR line between Hampstead and Willesden

Canterbury Road

Foundry & Workshops of Saxby & Farmer Ltd 1860's.  Pioneers in railway points and signals systems, the last casting mass-produced here in 1903 when manufacture was transferred to Chippenham.  In 1920 the firm was incorporated into Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal Company and then re-named in 1935 the Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company.

40.Granite sett walkway on site of old firms pathway

Dyne Road

Willesden Town Hall. Formerly Willesden Local Board Offices. Erected to the competition winning designs of Harner to 1880 t. It was enlarged in 1900, and eventually demolished in 1972.

Fifth Avenue

Queens Park. 1875 Rowland Polumbe y

Harrow Road.

Houses - frontages to Harrow Road were replaced in the late 1970s by four-storey terraces by Yorke Rosenberg & Mardall, They face a newly opened vista to the canal

St John the Evangelist

United Reform Church designed by Plumbe

Queen’s park library

Westminster special school

Meeting Hall.Murals. Built by the company, with gabled end and polygonal tower and spire.

Kensal Town branch of Chelsea Libraries in 1/90.  Passed to Paddington when vestries superseded in 1900 and Westminster in 1965

Honeyman Close

Gated development.

Kensal Green

Kensal Road.

St Thomas

Virgin

Mackay trading estate

265 Lads of the Village

Kilburn Lane

School 1885, SBL only school outside London area, land had been scrap yard in 1883, children had to pay more because it was and is in Westminster who don't pay the precept to SBL

Christ Church new parish around the church in 1866. Turned into flats plus a smaller church in flat 22,

Lonsdale Road

Colville School

Grand Cinema1913.

Mozart estate

Borough of Westminster, 1971-7. Starting with low red brick terraces matching the scale of the surrounding area and greened by trees- It is only when one has penetrated further along the pedestrian spine that one realizes the mammoth size of this development, planned with a bewilderingly complicated network of paths and galleries at different levels stacked up to eight storeys in the centre. 

Kingswood Avenue

One of the roads around the park which was built up with houses as part of the deal when Queen’s Park was opened.

Queen's Park. In 1879 the Royal Agricultural Society set up their annual show ground on the slope below the Brondesbury ridge.  The first year the show opened it was very very muddy.  Then the ground of Queen's Park Rangers.  Following public pressure to open a park on the land it was  taken over by the City of London and given to them by the Ecclesiastical Commission. This was helped by a bequest from William Wards.  Following an Act of Parfliament in 1886 it was laid out and named for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubildee. 30 acre park with  tennis courts, a pitch and putt course, a playground and a  bandstand in the centre.  There are London planes, with expanses of grass, and seasonal planting. The garden in the south-east corner has lawns and neat circular and crescent beds - clipped yew cones, a tree-of- heaven and old hawthorn provide structure, and borders around the edges with roses, philadelphus and cherry.  . The beds are have pelargoniums, fuchsias, canna lilies, castor oil plants, begonias and nicotianas. A traditional 'shield bed' raised at an angle is planted with a topical design

Jubilee Sports Hall dour red brick of 1977

Queen's Park Station. 2nd June 1879. Between Kensal Green and Kilburn Park on the Bakerloo Line and between Kensal Green and Kilburn High Road on the London Overground Line into Euston. In 1859 North London Railway trains went from Hampstead Road to Willesden Junction.. The first station was called ‘Queen' Park (West Kilburn)’. It was opened for mainline trains of the London and North Western Railway to serve the Royal Agricultural Showground...  In 1915 it became part of the Bakerloo Line and a  new station was built and named after the estate Queen's Park. There were 2 island platforms.  this site was called Queen' Park (West Kilburn).

Carraige sheds at either end of the station for the end of the Bakerloo Line.

Railway

Euston Line stream from Paddington Cemetery on way to Kilburn in Kilburn Park Road crossed it

Salusbury Road

Built as an extension to Brondesbury Park as a spine road.

St Anne. A new parish had been created in 1899 and built because of population increase. 1905 by the brothers Cutts. Rebuilt in 1998 and shares with St.Andrew’s United Reform Church and London Interfaith Centre. Also amalagamated with St,Lawrence, Chevening Road.  Built by the Cutts Brothers.

Brondesbury and Kilburn High School built. Maria Grey and part old synagogue. Which had been built for an increasing Jewish community in the 19th.  Now a Muslim School. A lot of the school was demolished in June 1944 by a flying bomb.

Maria Grey Training College for Women Teachers.  Came here in 1892 and shared premises with the girls grammar school but later moved to Twickenham

Willesden Council Electricity Offices.

Kilburn Grammar School founded by Dr.Bonavia Hunt, now taken over by a Muslim School. Twiggy went there.

Kilburn Library.  Built as the result of a campaining by Dr.J. Crone.  Designed by Edmeston and Gabriel with a turret and oriel window. Opened by the Head of Harrow School on 30thJanuary 1894

Salusbury Junior and Mixed school

Dodge Bros Britain

Kilburn Board Offices.  Demolished.  Erected in 1894, this brick-and-stone building was probably designed by Edmeston & Gabriel, who built the adjoining library both being in a picturesque gabled style the municipal grouping was cleared in the late 1970s expect for a rebuilt police station opened in 1980

Salusbury Road School opened in 1902 and designed by Willesden Council’s architect G.E.T.Lawrence

Stream

From Paddington Cemetery on way Kilburn in Kilburn Park Road crossed it

Third Avenue

Mission hall

Jubilee sports hall

Willesden Lane:

Electricity showroom

Stream rose here in way to join the Kilburn

State Cinema

Paddington Cemetery/Willesden Cemetery.  Gatehouse designed by Thomas Little and opened 1855.  laid out in a horseshoe shape with a cross where the chapels are sited. Sold by Westminster Council for £1 and then taken over by Brent Council.  Features in films 'Room to Rent’.

Paddington stream rose there to join Kilburn in Kilburn Park Road

Shree Swaminarayan Temple

Jewish cemetery

Christ Church School. Sponsored by Dr.Williams, the Brondesbury rector


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles