Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Westbourne Park

$
0
0

  This post is not finished has not been checked or edited


Adela Street


Alperton Street 

Named for the company’s brickworks, which was at Alperton and run by Henry Haynes.

Barfett Street 

Beethoven Street 

Bosworth Road

Crammed from the 1860s with small overcrowded houses, has changed even more radically. Slum clearance in this area began in the 1930s and continued on a grander scale after the war, the borough taking responsibility for the area between Bosworth Road and Golborne Road, the county council for the remainder. In the former area the old street pattern is broken up not very happily, following a plan of 1956 by Sir William Holford & Partners for the borough of Kensington.

50 Earl of Derby.  

Emslie Horniman Pleasance.  Grounds presented by Emslie J. Horniman in 1911, with Shelters, walls and layout designed by C.F.A. Voysey as a Spanish garden. The rectangular garden is laid out around a formal pool. are arched shelters, and above the entrance is an inscription. The ironwork is by W. B. Reynolds. An Arts and Crafts garden hidden away in North Kensington. Horniman was a local MP who, because there was no park for children in the area, gave the land in perpetuity 'for the people of London as a recreation ground’.

Children’s playground in a modern style, .

Bravington Road

Caird Street 

Canal

Carlton Bridge, 1870

Boundary stone

Kensal Wharf

Carlton Bridge Tavern

Mckay Trading Estate, a smart series of colourful buildings alongside the canal, 1981 by John Outram-

Droop Street 

Droop was the Chairman of the company.

Queens Park School opened by SBL in 1877 as Droop Street School the first school on estate. Queen’s Park Rangers Football Club started here in 1882

Pinkham local developer and general big wig lived here.

East Row

The development known in the c19 as Kensal New Town began in the 1840s with small cottages .The street pattern remains, but almost all traces of the modest early buildings have disappeared.

Elgin Avenue

Elgin Crescent

Graham & Green source of some of the smartest modern and traditional garden furniture

Enbrook Street 

Farrant Street

Named after a company director.

Formosa Street,

Kilburn crossed the canal here

Galton Street 

Harrow Road

324 Paddington Churches Housing Association. Was the Coliseum Cinema 

325 Police Station. 

421 Russell Bros. Joinery a builders, display and exhibition contractors.

Boundary stones in the pavement for St. Luke's Chelsea (SLC).

423 site of Kensal Wharf. Backing onto the canal with six bays for vehicle access with a side access to the Wharf.

527 north bank of Paddington Canal next to Flora Hotel, 1890s factory of sporting gun manufacturers, Holland and Holland

578-580 Queens Park Meeting Hall. Recreation and meeting hall, 1883-4 for the Artisans, Labourers and General Dwellings Company and their name is over the door. Style is transitional between Gothic and Queen Anne. Shop on ground floor and All Star Boxing Club on first floor.ornate frieze.in Southeast corner of the estate. 

Monogrammed block

Paddington Armoury 3rd City of London Regiment

Hazelwood Road

Holmefield House, is by Julian Keable Partners, 1964. Its exterior facelift dates from 1985.

The Prince Arthur, a token preservation of the c19, stands in isolation.

Herries Street 

Huxley Street 

Ilbert Street 

Kensal Road,

Lots of old mansions still

166 warehouse, 1980, Carlisle Castle nineteenth century lost dogs home

Cobden Working Men's Club 1880, an interesting and ornate building.

Globe Wernicke Furniture Factory

White Knight Laundry

Offices of Arendt Bednarski Roche, an ingenious conversion of a 1920s warehouse.

Meanwhile Community Gardens. Ribbon-like park in the shadow of the Trellick Tower. Originally made in the 1970s There are several distinct areas: a grassed area beside the Grand Union Canal; a woodland walk with a timber boardwalk; as well as wildlife. There is a bike and skateboard bowl, and a sparkling spiral path made from glass chippings set in resin links and salvaged railway sleepers, set at leaning angles in the soil, are used to divide the spaces.

Kilburn Lane

Moberley Youth Centre - Senior Board School.  1885, School Board for London, their only school outside London area. Land had been scrap yard in 1883, Children had to pay more because it was, and is, in Westminster, who don't pay the precept to SBL

Ainsworth House named for the novelist Harrison Ainsworth who lived locally

Kilvarock Street

Lancefield Street

Lothrop Street 

Marne Street 

Middle Row

Bus garage

The development known in the c19 as Kensal New Town began in the 1840s with small cottages .The street pattern remains, but almost all traces of the modest early buildings have disappeared.

Mozart Estate

Meanwhile Community Gardens,

Mozart Street 

Nutbourne Street 

Oliphant Street 

Queen's Park

Name of the residential district developed from 1875, as well as of the park just to the north opened in 1887, both so called in honour of Queen Victoria.

Queen's Park Estate

The area covers part of the area of the Malorees Estate, belonging to All Souls College and partly in Willesden and partly in Paddington.

Artisan’s Labourers and General Dwellings Co formed by William Austin to build working class homes.  Public health and railways.  'Healthy homes are the first condition of social progress' total abstinence principles. They bought 80 acres in 1874 from All Souls, at a time when there were fields all round, in a detached part of Chelsea.  It was designed to be like Shaftsbury Park. The Street names are numbers running north south, and letters running east west. There are six number avenues and street letters A to P, like Washington DC. There is no general memorial, but the houses carry dates 1876 or 77. At Shaftesbury Park many of the largest houses had been split informally and to address the problem at Queens Park a small proportion of tenements were introduced. They conformed to the terraced facade but were in fact two flats contained within one house, split horizontally - the give-away being the two front doors

Congregational Church 1886 too.  Opened as a permanent building in June 1890. United Reform in 1972.

Shirland Road

Westbourne joined by tributary from Willesden

Children’s home

1880 HW Walford Dairy farm. Cows used to come on the way, staff and flats for three

Southern Row

The development known in the c19 as Kensal New Town began in the 1840s with small cottages .The street pattern remains, but almost all traces of the modest early buildings have disappeared.

Third Avenue

College demolished

Wedlake Street

Footbridge over canal, Called Halfpenny Bridge because of toll



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles