Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Hanwell

$
0
0

     This post has not been finished and is not edited or checked

Burket Close

Barnes Farm –given over to allotments.

Canal

A branch of the canal went to barracks and a powder magazine at North Hyde. "North Hyde Works" were undertaken by Joliffe & Banks. A canal dock was constructed there in the period 1813-8.  It became known as the Hanwell Loop and one of its two former entrances is marked by a winding hole.

North Hyde

Northernmost bit of the parish of Heston and the whole of Isleworth Hundred.  ‘Hyde’ was the name for a subdivision of a Hundred.  It is also higher than the rest of the area.  There was a farm here belonging to the friars of the Holy Trinity. In the 18th the manor was owned by the Bulstrode family who were Lords of the Manor of Hounslow.

Settlement grew up around the barracks

Council housing in North Hyde from the 1940s.

Ordnance Depot

Next to the canal.

Barracks – became a Catholic boys’ school. Closed 1930s.

Trout Bridge.

Brick paving lining tow path under the bridge 1910; bridge also GJC 1911

West Hyde

Entrance to old Hanwell Co-op dock 1813/8 winding hole

Wolf Fields

Created in the 1920s as compensation for loss of space on Norwood Green.



Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles