This post has not been finished, it is not edited or checked
Ackroyden Estate.
LCC. When it was new so modern would not have been allowed in Surrey. Point block pioneered as a way of preserving mature landscape attributed to Paxton. School for the blind kept the original villa.
Oatlands Court – first point block.
Primary School
Augustus Road
Claudia Place. Colourful buildings
St. Paul. Nave 1877, chancel 1888, by Micklethwaite & Somers Clarke. Dull exterior of red brick with a fleche; Decorated windows. Wide nave, light in character, with octagonal piers of elongated section. Wagon roof. Stained glass by Kempe, 1893-1901. Reredos by Kempe's partner and successor Tower. Panelling and screen also contemporary.
Carrington Road
Holy Trinity Primary School. Rural feeling
Coronation Gardens South
Road open 1903.
Durnsford Road
Preserves the old name ‘Donesford’ 1301, ‘Dunesford‘ 1535, ‘Dounesford’ 1540, ‘Dunsford House’ 1816, that is "ford of the manor called Done or Dune 'the hill or down'', from Old English ‘dun’ and ‘ford’. The ford was over the River Wandle
45 Sportsman
Woodman
Merton Road
TA HQ site of Durnsford Farm.
Labour Hall and William Morris Hall, Two roundels of Morris & Co. glass of c. 1881, with Chaucer and Helen of Troy, given in 1931.
266-268 Gardeners Arms. As yet unspoilt, and increasingly popular Young's corner local situated on an unremarkable stretch of Merton Road, between Wandsworth and Wimbledon. The building dates from 1931 and retains its exterior tiling. A large main bar is complemented by a side lounge
Replingham Road
22 The Grid. Originally converted from a restaurant, with low ceiling, partitioning and wood-panelled walls throughout, this pub has an intimate, atmosphere rare for Wetherspoon's. Pictures display local history; the Grid takes its name from the layout of the surrounding roads.
Southfields
In 1247 field which sold farm produce. South of Durnsford Manor. Means 'southern arable lands'. The corresponding Northfield survived as late as 1865 and is now a street name, a recent revival
Sutherland Grove
Characteristic if unexceptional semis
Whitelands Training College 1930. Burne-Jones and Morris glass in the chapel. Gates and glass from Chelsea College. Built as a teacher training college by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1929-31. A free, mainly utilitarian grouping with a few genteel neo-Gothic forms, a striking contrast with the coarse and pompous style popular for institutional buildings of the c 19 Chapel with outstanding Morris & Co. stained glass brought from the former college chapel at Chelsea. The windows were adapted to fit the round-headed forms in the new chapel. Window 1886, three lights with the Virgin, Christ, and St Mary Magdalene above smaller scenes, designed by Burne Jones. Also by him the windows, with female saints, originally designed for single lights. Chapel of St Ursula: St Ursula with three girls, 1885. The iron gates to the college also come from Chelsea.
Annesley House named after Wesley's mother. Girls’ hostel
Wimbledon Park Road
St.Michael 1896-7 by E. W. Mountford; end 1905. The tower unbuilt. Red brick, 'large and handsome with a somewhat Caroeish west window'. Panelled piers without capitals. Stained glass by Alison & Grylls.
St.Matthew. 1910 17'6" frontage £285. By E. C.Shearman, rebuilt after the war by. S. Camper.
31 Holly Lodge. George Eliot wrote 'Mill on the Floss' here. At Holly Lodge she lived openly with George Lewes, causing her to be regarded as a wanton. Plaque erected 1905.
Southfields Station. 3rd June 1889. Between East Putney and Wimbledon Park on the District Line to Wimbledon. Built by the Metropolitan District Railway as part of the Fulham Extension Railway. Island platform with stairs going up to an entrance pavilion. Elevations in red and yellow brick. When Southfields Station was transferred from British Rail to London Underground a temporary ticket office was built to the west of the station above the track and the wall of the bridge was removed. This temporary ticket office and the floor it was on have now been removed, but the supporting structure that held them up is still there
The Crescent
RC church of Christ the King. 1928
Vitrified bricks on the Glanville Road corner on the boundary walls and fences