this post is not finished, not checked, not edited
↧
Stockwell
Stockwell Bus Garage. Boldly functional By Adie Button & Partners, with Thomas Bilbow, architect to London Transport Executive. Engineer A.E.Beer and contactors Wilson Lovatt & sons. 1950-4. A monumental home for 200 buses below a reinforced concrete shell roof on nine arches of considerable span c. 73,000 sq. ft of uninterrupted garaging and completely unobstructed circulating area. 9 bays. This was needed as trams were replaced by buses in the 1950s. Clear floor area of 73,350 space b y using two hinged reinforced concrete ribs. Spanning 194 ft the ribs increase in depth as they reach the ground. Arched vaults span the spaces between the ribs and include roof lights. Brought into use in April 1952. Listed Grade II.
GentsUnderground public convenience in centre of road. Gents' section had two banks of urinals with granite and glass 'fish tank' cisterns.
3 Features in films 'Carve Her Name with Pride’.
Mursell Estate 1962-6 section leadersFollet and Chapman, has a long dog legged six storey range of maisonettes along the road. A rough image, brick, and shuttered centre with long access balconies. Behind the usual mixture of this time, not well integrated visually material. Also contains a tower block, and old peoples home. Two storey terraces the concrete details repeated and ludicrously out of scale and less usual a few 19th dwellings.
St Bede. Social and Sports Club for the Deaf. 1924 by E. Maufe. Small, brick, with some free Gothic detail
209, mid c18, an unusually early survivor, with two canted bays.
Studley Estate, quitegenerously laid out blocks of mixed heights, with one eleven-storey Y-plan tower and shops along Clapham Road;
145-189 best group of several terraces of the late c 18
159-145 Former printing works which from 1956 was the HQ of Freeman's Mail Order firm, founded c.1911
167 skilfully converted to offices, with a new back extension, by Rock Townsend in 1974-5
Stockwell Station. 18th December 1890. Between Oval and Clapham North on the Northern Line. Between Vauxhall and Brixton on the Victoria Line. Built by the City and South London Railway. The original station was north of the present platforms. It was opened by the Prince of Wales and had been built on duchy land. The domed station was approached through wrought iron gates with a garden. In 1900 it was extended south to Clapham. In 1924 it was closed and resited because of the further extension to the south. The surface buildings were, topped by a large decorative dome inside which were guide wheels for hydraulic lifts. In the Second World War below the station were shelters built in two parallel tunnels which were split horizontally into upper and lower levels, with medical posts, lavatories, and ventilation and a total capacity was around 1,600 people. Access was via entrance shafts one of which is now at the junction and the other on Studley Road. It was built so that it could be part of an express railway in the future and after the war it was used to billet military personnel. its present use is unknown. In 1971 the Victoria Line opened and the 1920s surface buildings were demolished and replaced by a structure dominated by a ventilation shaft. The station was opened on 23rd July 1971.
Generating station built for City and Southwark Railway 1890s largest generating station in the world then. was closed in 1915.
Depot.north of the station is a branch tunnel which led to a generating station, depot and workshop at the junction of Stockwell and Clapham Roads. rolling stock was pulled to the surface using a winch and after 1907 by a hydraulic lift. In the 1920s it was used as a working site and then the tunnel and lift shaft were plugged and blocks of flats were built on the site by the LCC. These flats still stand together with one retaining wall of the depot.
Courland Grove
A windswept cluster of three towerscompleted in 1969 their names are Arden House,Pinter House, and Beckett House. Apoint block one of those which form such distinctive jagged landmarks in South London. They use a Wates system to fit the design byLambeth Architects Department, and are the most extremeexample of attempts to make the tower form visually excitingin a brutalist manner
Old People's Home. Pleasantly humane of re-used stock brick, two storeys, in an informal A-shape around a courtyard and garden, c. 1975
Stucco trimmed houses
Surrey Hall a Lambeth community centre of 1971 with rather self conscious cantilevered projections
One of Lambeth's tower blocks built of precast panels. Apoint block one of those which form such distinctive jagged landmarks in South London. They use a Wates system to fit the design byLambeth Architects Department, and are the most extremeexample of attempts to make the tower form visually excitingin a brutalist manner
83 Priory Arms. Genuine free house
St.Francis de Sales & St.Gertrude. R.C. 1902—3 by F. W. Tasker; Romanesque; plain front with circular window
Agreeable low brick boroughhousing of c. 1982
Larkhall Tavern. Features in films 'Last Orders’.
Spurgeon Estate 1963-7 by S Follett. 345 dwellings including a tower block..
282-298 An early 19th terrace kept as part of the Spurgeon Estate.
1188 Stokewell stream and footbridge made of a tree trunk, village until the 1860s. Names ‘Stokewell’ 1197, ‘Stocwelie’ 1225, ‘Stokwell’ 1247, ‘Stockewell’ 1294, that is 'spring or stream by a tree stump', from Old English ‘stocc’ and ‘wella’. Stockwell was still a small rural village until the early 19th century.
Classic Cinema operated as a Tatler Club - the booking policy was to screen uncensored films for the discerning cinemagoer. The most ardent of members was a young man, aged about 30, who had spent two thirds of his life in an iron lung and paid regular weekly visit and a row of seats near a front stalls exit were removed so that the large life-support machine could be accommodated.
The old village centre, is now a built-up triangle, butsome good houses remain
34 remaining good house
22,21, remaining good houses
Sanitas House, built for a wine-bottling firm, 1964-8 by Tripe & Wakeham. on the top floorthree roof gardens.
United Reformed Church,. Mostly an enlargement of 1850 by James Wilson of a chapel founded in 1798. Stucco front with Ionic pilasters and pediment, set back from the road, with a projecting wing
36 Early-mid c19 detached house in poor condition.
St.Michael1841 Commissioners type treated with deliberate naughtiness. By W. Rogers. In outline and material the common Commissioners' type. The steeple is at the east end, hexagonal; it forms part of what became a broad porch feature of three-eighths plan when in 1880 the altar was moved from here and the seating reversed. The original main entrance was from Stockwell Park Crescent. The clerestory has horizontal almond-shaped windows. Skinny nave with aisles and galleries on cast-iron shafts reaching up to the roof. The side chapels are also original.
Stockwell Garden Estate L.C.C., 1945 and 1953-65. Cassell House with curving frontage and glass-panelled balconies,is the most distinguished part.
40-46 older houses
170 One of a substantial pair of early c19 houses demolished behind retained façade
207 Astoria opened 1929. Designed in Spanish style by Edward Store for Paramount. Closed 1975.
↧