Quantcast
Channel: Edith's Streets
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Pimlico, Kent

$
0
0

 

A SQUARE BY SQUARE LOOK AT LONDON

TQ59 42  An area of down market suburban housing between Tatsfield and Biggin Hill

 

Boundary London/Surrey/Bromley

The boundary goes north west between The Grove and Ricketts Hill

 

Allenby Road

A small area which can be dated from the road names of First World War generals

 

Aperfield Road

Aperfield  the name of this,  the origunal manir in the area, comes from ‘Apeldrefeld’ 1242, ‘Appeldorefeld’ 1253, ‘Apeldurfeud’ 1270, ‘Apperfield’ 1819  - that is 'open land where apple-trees grow', from Old English. The area of the road was once known as ‘Old Orchard;’.

Aperfleld Court and estate was owned by the Christy family, who had bought it in 1855.  Developer Frederick Dougal had an office in the Strand listed an "unclaimed money office" and made him enough to buy the Aperfield Estate at auction 1898. He occupied the house but sold off the remainder of the land as small building plots. there were no planning controls over the appearance or standards of construction, so the area was covered with temporary structures described as " bungalows". Roads were laid out but never surfaced and followed the line of the fields so one side had a hedge. Water mains were provided but the pipes were of minimum capacity.

31collapse in the lawn at the end of the garden. Each time it was filled in it reappeared. 3m away from the collapse was a circular patch of grass of a different colour from the rest of the lawn and this was loose subsoil and was probably the top of a filled chalk well shaft and the collapse a crown hole from a chamber which had reached the surface.    

Manor House for Aperfielde stood near to where a large cedar stands.  It was demolished c.1840  and the estate was sold in 1895 to Frederick Dougal.

 

Church Road

 

Haig Road

A small area which can be dated from the road names of First World War generals

 

Main Road

Coronation Terrace.  This terrace of four houses was built in 1902 because it was thought a railway was comin to the area.  They were named Coronation Terrace in honour of King Edward the Seventh, whose coronation had been postponed to that year due to his illness in the year of his accession. the commemorative plaque is in the centre of the six although two of the houses were added later.

St.Marks church – the first church on the corner of Polesteeple Hill on a site given by Dougal plus £25. this was timber and corrugated iron. 

 

 

Pimlico

A mill there was called Pimlico Mill.  Post mill built 1826 demolished 1885

Pimlico wood. This is on the Ordnance Survey map of 1871 beside a house or farm called Pimlico, perhaps named from the 17th inn at Hoxton or the district in Westminster.


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1473

Trending Articles