↧
Guildford
7-11 remains of the old village of Stoke. 16th attractive half-timbered building with one close-timbered gable with herringbone brick infilling, probably C16,
St.John the Evangelist church. 14-15thmodernised with 15th tower and 18th font of black-and-white marble. . Effect is Victorian. Monuments, etc. enlarged in 1851,
Timber and boat building next to Wey Navigation. Blacksmiths shop, ad steam chest. Office (1968) of the National Trust. The wharf itself dates from the early nineteenth century and was the site of the boat-building yard of the Stevens family, the former owners of the Navigation. The last barge was launched here in 1944, but building and the repair of pleasure craft continues
Reliance. Arthur Legg worked on the Wey barges of William Stevens & Sons 1901-1956. Fred Legg, Arthur's son, started in 1937 was also a barge captain and In 1968 was in charge of Reliance which while beiing towed with wheat from London Docks.hit Cannon Street railway bridge was holed and sank. She was refloated and her cargo made into dog biscuits. twenty years later she was brought to Guildford and restored.
Woodbridge road
Some ambitious mid-c 19 speculation. Detached villas, some Tudor and various shades of Italianate, some stuccoed, some brick and stone, probably all by the same builder. Indifferent quality.
Woodbridge. No doubt originally a wooden bridge, but a brick one later. It was rebuilt by Surrey County Council in 1912/13 and carries traffic in the Portsmouth direction as built as part of the original Guildford By-pass in the 1930s. When this was dualled a second bridge was constructed to carry the traffic heading towards London.
Wellington Place. 1852, a formidable set of semi-detached Tudor blocks,
↧