↧
St Albans
St Albans City Station 1st October 1868. After Radlett on the Thameslink Line. Midland Railway.
St Albans South Signal Box. All timber Midland Railway signal box of 1892, with 44-lever Tumbler frame, now disused, listed grade II.
Methodist Church
Marlborough Buildings. Almshouses from 1736 paid for by Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough. They are modest in height and lacking any representational effects. There is a courtyard with buildings on three sides and a large cedar tree.
St Albans City Museum. Local history museum, founded 1899, includes important Salaman collection of trade tools.
36 hat factory behind here,. Belonged to W. Macqueen & Co, best seen from Inkerman Road.
Methodist Church
Hat factory Between here and Lattimore Road. Belonged to E Day (St Albans) Ltd. It is now flats
Vicarage, late c17. Demolished. It was of 2 bays and two and a half storeys, with quoins, and a lower wing.
1 late c16 but refaced in the late c17, with seven bays, two storeys, and three dormers. The centre on the upper floor is emphasized by a door in a projecting brick frame which leads to a balcony with iron railings.
6, a modest four-bay Georgian façade
10-12 National Westminster Bank, harsh Gothic of the late c19.
16 The Grange a country house rather than a town house. It is mid Georgian, of purple brick with red brick dressings, and a front of five bays, and a door case with attached Ionic columns.. Staircase and plasterwork inside. The house is set off by the two paths which flank it, leading to City Hall and the Civic Centre.
Forkes House, with a blank wall and mosaic facing the street,
Lockey House, too large for the street, with the jarring note of bands of thin horizontal windows. These are part of the Civic Centre development by Frederick Gibberd & Partners, 1960.
Forrester two Barns behind converted into a restaurant. The larger is from Water End, c17, the other from Great Holmead.
32, early c18, with segment-headed windows and Tuscan door case.
36, early c19 with Gothic glazing bars;
38, late c18, yellow brick, with nice fascia.
40 is bigger and heavier than the others, mid c19thbrick, three storeys, five bays, with a ponderous porch.
41 an equally large building with central carriageway
58-60 St Peter's Workhouse
72-76, distinguished by the odd occasional use of windows.
103 1829 by George Smith in the Grecian taste, with a closed porch with Ionizing pillars.
105, the former vicarage. Slightly recessed, in the Tudor taste, an asymmetrical composition, stuccoed. It may date from before 1822.
197 Ivy House, built for himself by Edward Strong with four bays and three storeys in purple brick with red dressings. It has giant angle pilasters and a door case with Tuscan columns, and a frieze. Discreet c20 additions at the sides. staircase inside.
Pemberton Almshouses. 1627, a simple one-storeyed row of six, without gables or any other display features
Friends Meeting House
Wimbledon Column for sewer ventilation.
53 Hat Factory. Built as three-storey red brick, that was the straw hat factory of Edward Scott.
↧