this post has not been edited or checked
↧
Clapham Common
111 Broomwood House, site where William Wilberforce lived, LCC plaque 'On the site behind this house stood, until 1904, Broomwood House- formerly Broomfield-where William Wilberforce resided during the campaign against slavery which he successfully conducted in Parliament' Plaque erected 1906
Led down to Knowles's less ambitious Park Town Estate and it seems was intended as a direct route from Clapham to the fashionable West End. The terraces facing the common are of considerable importance for their date: 1860. The French pavilion roofs are amongst the first signs of that French Renaissance Revival in London which culminated in such buildings as the Grosvenor Hotel, also by Knowles, and fascinated for a time America as much as England. The details are robust and tasteless; note especially the barbarous, wholly un-French, round-headed window surrounds with their segment-headed windows and the space between the segment and the round top filled with gross foliage. The materials are pale Suffolk brick dressed with cement, the contrast especially apparent on the r. block, which has been cleaned.
45, remains of an opulent interior, with gilding, mirrors, and scagliola columns.
113-119 only remaining of the 42 villas in the road
Cedars Estate G.L.C. 1961-8 Colin Lucas, job architect, one of the first to mark the move away from tower blocks to a more intimate and human scale for housing estates. 381 dwellings at 90 people per acre, a trail-blazing example of the lower densities adopted in inner London in the 1970s. The layout must have been influenced by the c 19 villas: distinct three-storey blocks, linked by balconies. The bland white brick is relieved by dark segment-headed garage doors, in a rhythm of three and one, which screen small communal courts in front of the flats. There are also some small private gardens.
Broadmead, an old people's home, is by Trevor Dannatt & Partners, 1969.
No. 91 is a neat tower of offices, the first in this area 1968
5 The Cedars Pub
14 Microbar also called The Ink Rooms pub
111 Broomwood House, site where William Wilberforce lived, LCC plaque 'On the site behind this house stood, until 1904, Broomwood House- formerly Broomfield-where William Wilberforce resided during the campaign against slavery which he successfully conducted in Parliament' Plaque erected 1906
North side
5-9, a part stuccoed terrace of 1838
12 set back, c. 1730, refronted after war damage to match 13-21. Excellent Victorian houses
13- 21 built by John Hutt, carpenter, 1714-20. It is a wholly urban terrace, as they were put up at the same time in other villages around London: Three storeys above basements, segment-headed windows, some doorways with segment-headed pediments. The houses vary in width and detail (partly because of later alterations) but the total effect is uniform. Excellent iron railings
14 Church Buildings, Graham Green. Had coachway until 1955
21 has a coachway as well
22-23 were replaced by painfully unsympathetic flats in 1934.
29 The Hostel of God. formerly The Elms built in 1754. Five bays, three storeys, with stone cornice and pedimented centre with Doric porch. Ground-floor rooms with marble fireplaces. Later wings, one converted to a chapel by W. H. R. Blacking, 1933) Plaque referring to it as the home of Charles Barry which says 'architect, lived and died here' plaque erected 1950.
30-32 The Cedars breaks The Georgian unity of the North Side with typically mid Victorian assertiveness. James Knowles Jun's, two identical five-storey blocks flanking the entrance to Cedars Road.
Terraces - Barry may have built the grey brick and stucco on either side of Victoria Rise.
110 Alverstoke. Plaque to John Burns which says 'statesman, lived here’ He lived here from 1914. Plaque erected 1950.
113 Gilmore House. Built 1763 with bay and pedimented window, made symmetrical by an extension. There is an addition at the side of 1810 and at the back is a chapel by Philip Webb - added for Deaconess Gilmore, William Morris's sister - built 1896-7, with fittings by Webb and stained glass by Morris & Co. of 1911-13. Plaque to John Walter which says 'founder of 'The Times' lived here'. Plaque erected 1977.
Library by E. B. L'Anson, 1889, gabled, with Flemish Renaissance decoration.
St.Barnabas 1879 by W. Bassett-Smith. Ragstone, with a tower; striped brick inside.
Trinity Hospice. 2-acre park-like garden restored by Lanning Roper's friends as a memorial to him and designed by John Medhurst. Ricky's sculpture a feature. Stocked with shrubs and perennials, it features expanses of lawn, spring and summer herbaceous borders, a hidden wild garden containing a lily pond and a wildflower area, as well as some mature trees. The healing nature of this garden is highlighted by a 'blessing tree' hung with personalized blessings on copper tags, and a 'sitting circle' enclosed by soft pastel plantings of roses, lavender, , salvias and buddleia.
office for Weights & Measures testers.
Coroner's Court; local taxation offices.
Queenstown Road
Lambeth low-rise housing, 1979 by Clifford Culpin & Partners,
516 Plough Brewery and the front of the former ofc. 1870 with a big rusticated entrance arch. Good cast-ironrailings in the form of twisted cables with the initial ‘W’ forThomas Woodward, owner from 1868 to 1900. Cellar withcast-iron columns, like a crypt.
518 Plough Inn occupies part of a symmetrical block of seventeen bays of veryplain cottages of c. 1810, with a pediment over the centre five.
Hibbert Almshouses, with crocketedcentre gable and Gothic detail, 1859 by Edward I'Anson.
827-837 are a commercial terrace of c. 1860 byKnowles jun.
636/8 Temperance Billiard Hall, c1910. The site was previously Meeks and later the South London, Brewery. bingo frontage addition.
401 factory of the short-lived Battersea wholesale Confectionery Co., 1890 - 1903
274 Bellhas nice tiles in the porch, "Webb & CO.. Tile & Mosaic Works.
In 1815 there were twenty large houses, of which five remain, somewhat altered, amongst the redevelopment which took place mostly from 1895 to 1908.
↧