this post is not finished and not edited or checked
↧
Sidcup
Holy Trinity Church Hall building of 1880; its It was originally the Lamorbey National School, replacing the school of 1841 in Burnt Oak Lane. In 1969 it became the Church Hall, after a new school had been built in Burnt Oak Lane.
3 Universal House. This large neo-Georgian house of 1904 was a former Vicarage.
Old hamlet rather larger than Sidcup itself. Fifteenth century was a busy hamlet, farm absorbed by Lamorbey in 1920s when plots were sold to ex-servicemen.
21 White House, c 1877.
21/35 A remarkable group of older houses, which formed the nucleus of the old hamlet of Halfway Street; they include two timber-framed houses which are 400-500 years old.
23 Lilac Cottage, c1800.
25/27, a timber-framed house bearing a Bexley Civic Society plaque with the date 1450. It has been much restored and altered - it was originally one house with a central entrance, the right-hand section being added much later.
31 Fern Cottage, probably c1840.
33 Farm Cottage, a small timber-framed hall-house, bears a plaque with the date c1500. From the street it is hidden behind its front garden wall, and behind the adjoining 35 though it can be seen that the upper floor is jettied towards the west.
35 Old Farm part of 35 was added much later, probably late 19th century.
43 Ye Olde Black Horse, A very ornate pub of 1892 with all sorts of decorative features. It was rebuilt on the site of a much older pub; the building bears shields saying 'built 1692' and 'rebuilt 1892'
50 The right-hand part of this house is 18th century, with a strangely skewed roof; the left-hand part is mid 19th century. The house is being restored as part of a small housing development.
Hamilton terrace Sorting Office
The Glade leads from its entrance in Halfway Street to the southern bank of the lake, providing a fine view of Lamorbey House. It is an attractive park, with fine trees including a ten-trunked cypress near the entrance. It embraces part of an old kitchen-garden wall of the House, probably of the 1840s.
The Tudors, timber Wealden house, 1475, was a one hall house, open fire, chimney and horn window still there
Sidcup Station. 1866 Between Albany Park and New Eltham on South Eastern Trains. Plans suggested for a station in the area since the 1830s. South Eastern Railway’s Dartford Loop Line. Called Sidcup but nearer to Halfway Street. When it was opened land around sold for building. Booking halls on both lines with no footbridge and no subway in the station from the start because people could walk round on the road. Platform and booking office improvements in 1887 might reflect increased housing and commuter traffic in the area. in 1936 Both platforms had a canopy renewed. In 1965 the down side was closed. 1988 Modern station building erected on up side with a new canopy and a terrazzo tiled ticket office and offices and so on.
Signal box removed 1970.
Two sidings closed 1966.
Goods yard closed 1966
Built by New Ideal Homesteads 1950s.
122 Iron Horse Pub.
Public Baths. Built as the Odeon Cinema in 1933 and converted to a pool in 1960. Cinema entrance and canopy still there. Site of Halfway Street Farm which had a splendid herd of shorthorn cattle
Sorting office on the site of a row of farm cottages called Church cottages.
↧