this post is not finished and not edited or checked
↧
Sidcup
Alma Road
Alma Pub
Birkbeck Road
One of the earliest roads developed in the area with cottages for tradesmen.
Carlton Road.
Chiselhurst Road
The Red Lodge. A red brick building, probably c1896, which was a lodge for Sidcup Place; it is now becoming derelict. It has distinct architectural similarities with the north front of Sidcup Place.
Church Road
1/10 this attractive terrace of cottages of 1852 was on the original lane from Sidcup to Chislehurst. Some have been considerably altered
Elm Road
30 is part of the same development as the park
Hatherley Road
One of the first new roads laid out locally. Houses from 1870 – highly ornamented detached and semi detached.
High Street,
follows the winding course of the old road from London to Maidstone which was improved by the New Cross Turnpike Trust in 1781. Further development took place in the late 19th century after the arrival of the railway, and above the modern shop fronts much of the facades and roofline has hardly changed since that time. There was the Nucleus of a tiny hamlet at the top of Sidcup Hill.
1 The Black Horse. an old coaching inn with a highly attractive frontage which preserves its basic appearance of the time when the road was improved in 1781.
77 Cannon Cinema. The cinema entrance is c1933, butthe actual auditorium is of 1911 and is located behind Kings Hall, a building c1870with patterned brick, Gothic window heads and other decorative detail. Originally called The Regal and later the ABC and then Cannon. Closed 2001.
Bitter Experience
King's Hall
Police Station 1902
Main Road
136 Horse and Groom Pub. Antique interior disguises its modern background.
Sidcup Fire Station. Classical brick and stone Edwardian building 1914 for the Sidcup UDC as Fire Station, Council Offices and Council Chamber.
Charcoal Burner Pub
Marechal Niel Parade. Built in 1937. newsagents, grocers, greengrocers, butcher, hairdresser, baker and ironmonger, catered for the majority of the needs of local residents. Brunshaws were shortly to be taken over by Charringtons. Robins, the grocers, was the nearest to a chain with three shores locally. They remained in business until the early 1950s.
Christ Church owes its origin to a dispute between one of the early vicars of St. John's and a group of his parishioners, who resolved to found another church nearby. At first they worshipped in an iron church in Chislehurst Road, but their congregation flourished and they were able to build the present church which was consecrated in 1901.
Old Forge Way
Rectory Lane
Rectory. in the 19th century caves and grottoes were cut into the sand in the Rectory Garden.
White Wallsan attractive romantic house c1910 in vaguely Arts & Crafts style.
Toucy & Selwood. another distinctive house of c1910, Toucy & Selwood the front rather difficult to see, but the rear, with two full height bows and a profusion of pargetting, readily visible from Knoll Road.
Selborne Road
23 Selborne Court. A large and impressive classical-style house c1903 with a fine baroque frontispiece
Sidcup
Sidcup appears in medieval documents as ‘Cetecopp’. Thomas de Sedcopp is recorded as having sold land in the district. It was a straggling hamlet along the Maidstone road with. The Black Horse, and some larger houses. In the early 19th century it began to increase in size. A church was built in 1841 and in 1866 the railway line was opened, though the station was sited a mile to the north. electrification of the Line in 1926 released a flood of building. No main drainage until the 1880s.
Hop pickers
Sidcup Hill
Ursula Lodges. A fine group of almshouses built 1972 around a square with a pond; the front entrance is round the corner in Eynswood Drive. They replaced previous buildings funded by the Berens family of Sidcup Place in 1847, and from this time a low brick wall to the east survives
Kentish Times Building. Three storey building 1931 for local paper and print works. Now offices.
The Green
Important conservation area. Informal recreation space. This small tract of common land is separated from the grounds of Sidcup Place by a screen-belt of tall lime trees on a mound. a corner of Sidcup which still keeps a distinctly Victorian atmosphere with its large houses and spacious gardens.
Cluny Cottage
Summerfield Lodge
Freeby
stable-block, c1780 and a section altered c1930.
Park The grounds of Sidcup Place, cover just over 25 acres, with gardens and sports facilities, and a special playground for children. There is a rose garden, the old kitchen garden with its 19th century walling. There is a long ha-ha of knapped flint.
The Park
The Park was a development of the 1870s. Three houses remain from that time
Kingston House on the south side,
Westburton
Amberley on the north side.
Anonymous pillar box
↧